Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Keto Diet

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Anyone come across a real good e-book or book on keto? I figure if I am going to do it, I want to make sure I am spot on.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
So many different versions of a so called "Keto Diet".....

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I'm looking for the whole thing. Before I start a diet, I like to know everything and the theory behind it. I think understanding the inner workings of it allows you grasp concepts of the diet better than just plugging numbers in. I have been collecting little by little recipes and etc. Since keto is more of a lifestyle change, I feel its important to grasp it all.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
There are some good youtube videos that have helpful information. I'd look at some that compare the Adtkins diet with the ketogenic diet. In general, Adtkins doesn't distinguish too much between how much protein and fat you take in as long as the carbs are low and you remain in ketosis. General rule of thumb is you stay at 20g or less of carbs per day. So double bacon cheeseburgers without the bun for you.

Ketogenic diets specify carbs at 5% of daily caloric intake, with protein at about 20-25%, and fat at 70-75%. Further, they want you to take in healthy fats like olive oil, avocados and nuts, and not a bunch of vegetable oils. I think Adtkins looks easier because you just avoid the breads and pastas, rice and potatos, and eat a ton of meat. But for a long term lifestyle, the ketogenic diet seems to be better.

I've seen several docs that push for a modified ketogenic diet that ups the carbs to about 50g or so carbs per day, and they don't really worry about whether you're in ketosis or not. They simply state that all that glucose in your bloodstream messes with your insulin sensitivity and affects HDL/LDL, etc. I'm beginning to believe they're right, I'm just trying to figure out how to actually live that type of lifestyle, as I'm not crazy about throwing out all the yummy carbs in my diet for the rest of my life.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
There are some good youtube videos that have helpful information. I'd look at some that compare the Adtkins diet with the ketogenic diet. In general, Adtkins doesn't distinguish too much between how much protein and fat you take in as long as the carbs are low and you remain in ketosis. General rule of thumb is you stay at 20g or less of carbs per day. So double bacon cheeseburgers without the bun for you.

Ketogenic diets specify carbs at 5% of daily caloric intake, with protein at about 20-25%, and fat at 70-75%. Further, they want you to take in healthy fats like olive oil, avocados and nuts, and not a bunch of vegetable oils. I think Adtkins looks easier because you just avoid the breads and pastas, rice and potatos, and eat a ton of meat. But for a long term lifestyle, the ketogenic diet seems to be better.

I've seen several docs that push for a modified ketogenic diet that ups the carbs to about 50g or so carbs per day, and they don't really worry about whether you're in ketosis or not. They simply state that all that glucose in your bloodstream messes with your insulin sensitivity and affects HDL/LDL, etc. I'm beginning to believe they're right, I'm just trying to figure out how to actually live that type of lifestyle, as I'm not crazy about throwing out all the yummy carbs in my diet for the rest of my life.

Totally agree with you Tommy. It's a lifestyle change. The focus is staying in the ketosis zone. From what I have read, one misstep or stepping out for a cheat day takes you out of ketosis and it takes time to get back in. In a way, I am almost leaning towards something that might be a little more friendly to carbs such as IF. I like my carbs too. I have 4 kiddos and I am a single father so I have my days of totally falling off the wagon. Great points.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
The focus is staying in the ketosis zone. From what I have read, one misstep or stepping out for a cheat day takes you out of ketosis and it takes time to get back in.

This is what I was always led to believe as well, however, I was watching a podcast discussion with two keto diet guys, and they were talking about ketosis not mattering, but I was distracted at the time, and am a bit of a keto newb, so wasn't digesting all that they were saying. I need to dig in further to get a better understanding. I don't think keto is a great diet for those of us trying to grow, but I don't think I'm growing much more these days, and need to pay more attention to my BP, HDL/LDL and other health indicators, and it's looking like a diet lower in carbs and higher in healthy fats is the way to go.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Anyone come across a real good e-book or book on keto? I figure if I am going to do it, I want to make sure I am spot on.

Yep.......I have quite a few from Dan Duchaine, Mauro DI Psquale and Lyle McDonal. Looks like I can't post the links to my storage site so PM me. I am happy to share them.

I also have all the Dan Duchainne stuff too.

The important thing in the keto diets is keep the TOTAL carbs under 100g/d. This means that protein must be under 150g/d because 58% of protein you take in also converts to glucose. (Check your blood sometime after taking in a whey protein shake.)

So 150g of protein would equal 87 g of glucose which leaves 13g of carbs you can take in above that amount. People make a big mistake doing this diet by assuming it is a high protein diet and never get into ketosis.. If you plan on taking in 30g of carbs a day then you can take in about 120g of protein. Often times, you will have to supplement your fat intake with monounstaurated oils. This amount of protein is plenty to protect the muscle you have because the ketones are protein sparing. To my knowledge there is no research available on using this diet with bodybuilding.

If you are really into this I suggest you also visit Dr. Jeff Volek's site Art and Science of Low Carb

He is the leading authority in high fat diet research and has some eye opening videos about the health benefits of high fat diets.

Last edited:
S

SugarFree

Feb 23, 2012
The Anabolic Diet from Mauro DI Psquale

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Any good links, my wife is looking to do some version and doesn't believe anything I say.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic