Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

IT band

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I have had my go-rounds with my iliotibial band before and at many different levels. Once it starts, my S.O.P. has been a double dose of naproxen for 3 days, foam rolling and voodoo bands. I have a 30 min stretching routine in place all the time for my back and legs 6x/wk. along with inversion.

It has been getting better over the last 3 weeks but it's still cranky. Here's what I can't figure out; I'm not using any wraps or sleeves but some reps with 335 in the squats are making this cranky? I have done much more in recent history with no wraps. My first rep of 10 is worse than the last rep. There is no deviation in any of my training and this is giving me a problem? I also just had a week layoff about 5 weeks ago so I'm not overtrained.

As of last week, I took out foam rolling the hip. I read it can do more harm than good. IT band is not really a problem at the knee like most runners get but in the hip. I really don't want to go fight with a Dr. to shoot up both hips.

Anyone struggle with this too?

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I had IT band issues for several years. Stretching and foam rolling have fixed it completely. My coach has me foam roll the outside of my quad but not the knees or hip. I think he said rolling the hip can cause other problems.
Also, I supplement with PABA which I have read helps increase the flexibility of your connective tissue, tendons and myofascia. Luckily PABA is relatively cheap.

Good luck with yours!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I haven't had issues with my IT but I also read the literature stating that IT band issues most likely surface due to issues with the glute/ hip region. I say incorporate some single leg RDL's and use a mini band around the leg that's lifted back to get that glute firing and get those hips inline. Many don't do this when performing single leg RDL's.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Also, I supplement with PABA which I have read helps increase the flexibility of your connective tissue, tendons and myofascia. Luckily PABA is relatively cheap.

Good luck with yours!

I got some research to do; thanks! My old shit has to brittle.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I haven't had issues with my IT but I also read the literature stating that IT band issues most likely surface due to issues with the glute/ hip region. I say incorporate some single leg RDL's and use a mini band around the leg that's lifted back to get that glute firing and get those hips inline. Many don't do this when performing single leg RDL's.
I have considered some band work but truthfully, it's liKe the straw that broke the donkey's back. I spend a considerable amount of time with stretching and whatnot these days, I'm not sure I can add another damn thing in! Guess it's something I could try. Thanks BI!

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
To update this; it has been notably better. I'm not so damn stiff throughout the day and it bothered me much less while squatting this week. Getting out of bed is not so bad either though I have found out sleeping on that side makes it grumpy so I'm avoiding that. Still not going to push it too hard the next squat or two.

Thanks for looking in!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I have considered some band work but truthfully, it's liKe the straw that broke the donkey's back. I spend a considerable amount of time with stretching and whatnot these days, I'm not sure I can add another damn thing in! Guess it's something I could try. Thanks BI!

Oh I hear ya. My warm-ups are becoming as long as someone's workout but it's the price we pay to keep tossing steel.

dk8594

dk8594

Apr 16, 2018
What were you symptoms [mention]The other Snake [/mention]. Was it literally a tightness on the side of your leg or did it manifest in your hips and/or knee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
What were you symptoms [mention]The other Snake [/mention]. Was it literally a tightness on the side of your leg or did it manifest in your hips and/or knee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It always starts as an ache that almost feels like it's in the nerve going down the outside of the leg. Then it continues to be some hip pain on the outside of the Ilium. Runners seem to get it more on the outside of the knee and lifters more in the hip.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Here is a pic of how I voodoo band my quads. This is probably a bit extreme for some but damn it works. I do wrap them fairly tight using the heavy bands on the lower and lighter ones on the upper at the same time. For some reason, this feels better than just 1 band.
W62Yod4.jpg

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic