is stretching important?????

Discussion in 'Training' started by build420, Aug 2, 2017.

1. build420

build420 New Member

Jul 26, 2017
    i don't usualy stretch before workin out, so my question is do i really need to stretch before i workout?

2. Go Away

Go Away TID Board Of Directors

Dec 28, 2011
    bot?

3. Gms585

Gms585 VIP Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I stretch every morning after my AM cardio. I have a full body routine with like 15-20 motions in it. Every Mon-Sat. If I am feeling extra stiff I will do a second round of stretching after lifting when I get home. I think it should be done everyday if you are physically active at all.

4. LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS VIP Member

Nov 1, 2010
    never stretch BEFORE...if you think of your muscle as a rubber band and its COLD...what happens? snaps....good rule of thumb is to stretch when your warmed up and or after training...

Gms585, CFM, ogre and 1 other person like this.
  5. BrotherIron

BrotherIron TID Board Of Directors

Mar 6, 2011
    Short answer... nope.

6. Yomo

Yomo VIP Member

Dec 18, 2015
    I find dynamic stretching to be much better, especially for shoulders. But I still floss my calves, as well as utilize rolling with a tennis ball to remove tension in my chest, glutes, triceps, and forearms pre workout. I only really use static stretches when specifically targeting the piriformis muscle area, as this has recently been a lifesaver in terms of lower back wear and tear. And I only foam roll my quads/hamstrings following sessions and days off.

7. CFM

CFM VIP Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Always stretch a 'warmed up' muscle. Never a cold muscle. Stretching correctly reduces injury, soreness and improves not only performance, also improves the look and quality of the muscle(s).

8. Littleguy

Littleguy TID Board Of Directors

Sep 30, 2011
    no not before, but stretching in general will make life easier and better in and out of the gym, especially when you get older

9. BackAtIt

BackAtIt Senior Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Fascia expansion would be my main reason...It restricts muscle growth from what I hear...What are you trying to achieve, hypertrophy or hyperplasia or both?....