Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Is Our Fixation on a Low-Fat Diet Hurting Us?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
A great many Americans are conscientiously eating a low-fat diet. The reason we do this, of course, is because a gram of fat contains a whopping 9 calories, whereas a gram of carbohydrate or protein only contains 4 calories.

But the question now being asked (believe it or not) is this: Could our focusing so diligently on low-fat foods be hurting us in our struggle to manage our weight?

High carbs for fats

Yes, you read that right: During a breakout session at this year's Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo (FNCE) in November, 4 members of an expert panel presented compelling evidence that low-fat diets are less healthy than those containing at least a moderate amount of fat.

Why? These weight-management gurus all agreed that significant evidence now indicates that Americans are substituting high-carbohydrate foods, particularly processed sugars, in place of the unhealthy fats they used to consume--and that this switch is doing us more harm than good.

The panel also agreed that choosing carbohydrates over saturated fat, as people are doing these days, might increase one's risk for heart disease.

Better quality fats and oils

The panel put forward a goal: do not replace unhealthy fats (such as trans and saturated fats) with carbohydrates like processed sugar but with healthier varieties of fats, like the monounsaturated fats and oils found in olives and nuts.

And Dr. Alice Lichtenstein, director of the Cardiovascular Health Laboratory at Tufts University, suggested that instead of simply advising Americans to eat less fat, weight-management counselors should specifically recommend that their clients replace trans and saturated fats with unsaturated fats.

Impressions I got while reading a summary of this FNCE breakout session

* As much as possible, limit your intake of unhealthy fats (trans and saturated fats).
* Decrease overall fat, even healthy fats, to perhaps 2 to 3 servings per day, maximum. (One serving is the equivalent of 1 teaspoon olive or macadamia nut oil; 1/6 of an avocado; 2 tablespoons of nuts; approximately 1/6 cup or 1/2 handful of nuts; and approximately 5 olives.)
* Eating healthy fats (but not too many) will help keep overall calories down as well, which should help with weight management.
* Try to limit processed carbohydrates as much as possible. One general recommendation I make to both my medical weight-loss clients and those who've had weight-loss surgery: Aim for no more than 15 grams of sugars per serving, and stay away from foods and beverages whose first 3 ingredients are sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, or other simple sugars.
* If the ingredient list looks like a purchase order from a chemistry lab, full of many unpronounceable items, consider putting it aside. In my opinion, "as close to nature as possible" is the watchword.
* If a food wasn't around in your grandmother's day, whether it's a newfangled fat or sugar, or some mysterious, protein-based creation, consider if you want it in your diet.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Theres eating clean and theres dropping way too low on fats, you need some for vital processes and even for burning bodyfat.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
well it was a good read as for myself I didn't get too b 340 pounds by watching what I eat I think if you are in competition then sure watch your fat or trying too get shredded but I just bulk 24/7 365 days a year

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Theres eating clean and theres dropping way too low on fats, you need some for vital processes and even for burning bodyfat.

Yes, we all should be consuming some fats in our diets, and simply avoiding the unhealthy fats as well as keeping fat intake to a smart amount

Deacon

Deacon

Old School Meso Vet
Oct 29, 2010
more people need to exercise instead of worrying about fat in their diet - when people are more active that keeps you healthy

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Don't sweat the small stuff...just by keeping a good level of exercise you'll be better off

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
Fat is good for test. Keep control of your insulin and you'll have a better grasp of your goals.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
more people need to exercise instead of worrying about fat in their diet - when people are more active that keeps you healthy

I tell people that all the time bro! thanks for re-iterating... nothing gripes my ass more than some slight to majorly over weight lady asking me for "pointers" on her diet... while she is drinking a diet coke and eating "low fat" COOKIES and explaining to me why she "cant" exercise regularly.... I simply tell them... when your ready to get serious about your health we will talk more... until then keep trying it "your way" and tell me how it works out for you...

Deacon

Deacon

Old School Meso Vet
Oct 29, 2010
actually low fat diets for most of us can be counter productive if we want to gain size and strength - we need some fat even more than the ordinary guy to get big

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic