Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Is it possible to have a big bench without benching?

Funny_Asian_Man

Funny_Asian_Man

Nov 30, 2022
I apologize if that sounds like an idiotic question.

My ultimate aim for the next several years is to compete (naturally) in Olympic-style weightlifting. Overhead pressing strength is far more useful for me and I have heard of acclaimed weightlifters saying bench presses are a bad idea because they'll make your shoulders stiff for the sport. I lean on believing them.

I do, however, want to compete in powerlifting here and there if there are no weightlifting meets around. But I don't wanna get mocked for a piss-poor bench. lol. So if I train heavy on the standing overhead press while still hitting the tris and pecs with isolation moves, can I still get a decent bench?

Squat and deadlift will be very good, I'm sure. I've never struggled getting PRs on those two lifts. (Best powerlifting squat was 445 pounds raw.)

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I knew a kid back in 1979 he could not have been over 18. Never lifted unless his buddies talked him into cold benching 315X3. Kinda stocky for a kid, but not big or fat, just cock strong as a MF'r!

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
For some, they can have a decent bench without benching often. Most have to actually bench press to get their numbers up.

Also, a big bench is relative to the person. I only bench a few times a year and have not maxed out since August-September 2021, but I benched 515 lbs then at 230 lbs. Some consider that a big bench, but I have been to many competitions where that doesn't even come close to even a decent bench.

Funny_Asian_Man

Funny_Asian_Man

Nov 30, 2022
For some, they can have a decent bench without benching often. Most have to actually bench press to get their numbers up.

Also, a big bench is relative to the person. I only bench a few times a year and have not maxed out since August-September 2021, but I benched 515 lbs then at 230 lbs. Some consider that a big bench, but I have been to many competitions where that doesn't even come close to even a decent bench.

I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe... I mean, I'm not asking for videos-for-proof or anything but... Are you bullshitting me or are serious? And how are your other lifts? I don't think even Ronnie fucking Coleman could bench that much in his prime. And even if he could've, you're 60 pounds lighter than him in his prime.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
From my experience, consistency is key with just about anything. Sure you can have a decent bench without actually bench pressing, but you’ll be much more impressive if you did incorporate bench pressing into your routine. Perhaps once every two weeks just to keep your muscles trained for that specific movement.

The bench press hits so many different muscle groups, and while I understand people today have various opinions about it, you need to see what works best for you.

Funny_Asian_Man

Funny_Asian_Man

Nov 30, 2022
From my experience, consistency is key with just about anything. Sure you can have a decent bench without actually bench pressing, but you’ll be much more impressive if you did incorporate bench pressing into your routine. Perhaps once every two weeks just to keep your muscles trained for that specific movement.

The bench press hits so many different muscle groups, and while I understand people today have various opinions about it, you need to see what works best for you.

Thanks. If I was gonna focus on powerlifting, I would definitely bench press. But I ultimately chose weightlifting as my soul's mistress.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe... I mean, I'm not asking for videos-for-proof or anything but... Are you bullshitting me or are serious? And how are your other lifts? I don't think even Ronnie fucking Coleman could bench that much in his prime. And even if he could've, you're 60 pounds lighter than him in his prime.
Haha. Follow my workout log. I have not maxed out in squat or deadlift in a long, long time, but recently I deadlifted 535 lbs for 13 reps and squatted 495 lbs for 10 reps. My top lifts were 710 lbs squat and 730 lbs deadlift circa 2009 at a meet.

Also, if you think that is a lot of weight for bench you are going into the wrong sport. I have worked out in gyms where a dozen guys benched more than 600 lbs. Ronnie benched a lot more than that. He would incline 495 lbs for reps.

Funny_Asian_Man

Funny_Asian_Man

Nov 30, 2022
Haha. Follow my workout log. I have not maxed out in squat or deadlift in a long, long time, but recently I deadlifted 535 lbs for 13 reps and squatted 495 lbs for 10 reps. My top lifts were 710 lbs squat and 730 lbs deadlift circa 2009 at a meet.

Also, if you think that is a lot of weight for bench you are going into the wrong sport. I have worked out in gyms where a dozen guys benched more than 600 lbs. Ronnie benched a lot more than that. He would incline 495 lbs for reps.
Good Lord, it's like encountering Hercules's social circle.

And I guess you're right. There are lots of swole guys in my gym who can barely manage 315.

Honestly, I hope I can stick around here successfully. I feel like I'll learn a lot.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Good Lord, it's like encountering Hercules's social circle.

And I guess you're right. There are lots of swole guys in my gym who can barely manage 315.

Honestly, I hope I can stick around here successfully. I feel like I'll learn a lot.
Don't worry about the weight other people are pushing. That is out of your control. Only worry about the weight you are pushing and figure out the most efficient way to push more.

Funny_Asian_Man

Funny_Asian_Man

Nov 30, 2022
Don't worry about the weight other people are pushing. That is out of your control. Only worry about the weight you are pushing and figure out the most efficient way to push more.
Thanks bud.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic