Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Is Anybody Currently Not Carrying Health Insurance?

Snachito1

Snachito1

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2018
BLTC I have had health insurance all my life from being covered on my parents to my current job and without it I would be very uncomfortable without it. My job pays 600+ dollars into insurance and coverage is around 800 dollars for me so I have to pay 200 from my paycheck plus my wife which is I believe it's 900+ so I pay 1,100 a month but if I land in the hospital I only pay 100 some dollars. I have an HMO but it has been good to us but everyone has to make the best decision for their families and needs. I hope everything works out for you BLTC wish you the best!!

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
I have insurance and it's a high deductible plan, I think it's like $6,500 for family. So I basically pay out of my paycheck every 2 weeks for the insurance and then when my kids go to the MD and it's not just a well visit, I pay out of pocket what the insurance would have paid had I of met my deductible.
I think I would make out if I didn't have insurance just paying for their physical, flu shot etc, just can't bring myself to do it in case anything happened.

I have similar insurance... it's beyond terrible.

20 years ago my employer offered excellent health insurance. Now it's not worth having.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I've been toying with the idea of just dropping all the insurance altogether and using the savings to pay out of pocket for everything. A friend of mine's been doing this for a couple of years for his daughters who are very active with sports and it's worked out well for him.

I hear you. Every January I threaten to do just. I am just buying my time until Medicare kicks on for me in 1 year. My insurance for my wife and I is a better deal than yours because the State kicks in quite a bit. My insurance comes through my State employee retirement package. But we still pay $800 a month and both have a $1500 deductible, $5000 out of picket for both. Until that is paid, everything is out of pocket including any medication. Even after the deductible it is still 20%. We never go to the doctor because of it and really don't need to. We do have a clinic close that is $45 my wife has been to a couple of time fro simple shit. Other than that any meds we need come from India for pennies on the dollar. I have several surgeries I have been putting off and just living with the pain until Medicare Advantage starts. So in effect we pay $800 a month from something we don't use. I never even had health insurance until I turned about 40 and paid everything out of pocket. In the past health insurance was damn good but now it is not worth a shit.

Last edited:
BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
There's some good replies here but I know there's gotta be more opinions on this topic so bumperooo!

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
We pay 1100 a month for my wife and I (self employed) and we have a 13,400 out of pocket expense (deductible and co insurance) . it sucks!!

There some alternatives that are out there in what is called shared health plans which is a pool of $$ put in by everyone in the group and bills are paid after they are renegotiated by the group admins. I got a quick with scent prices for similar to what I have but cheaper rate somewhere close to $300 a month. I'm meeting with the agent this week for more details.

He only sells in my home state but it can be purchased anywhere is assume.

I'll post more in a couple of days when he gives me the low down

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Health ins. is the biggest scam of all insurances by far. Obama comes out with Obama care and the only people he helped are the ones with a hundred kids and no income. They get free coverage through the state they live in, no ded., no co-pays, free meds., free dental, eye, and ear coverage. If you make as little as 40k as a couple then a family plan would cost a minimum of $1000 mo., 10k ded., 15k co-pay., no meds, dental, eye, or ear care. FUCK THAT!! The only people who can afford health ins are the ones that can self insure. Group coverage ain't much better. Plus nobody has dental coverage anymore and why would they when the annual premium is the same as the max. coverage amount....WTF? Dental is a very important part of health care in that bad teeth/gums can reek havok on heart health. And try to file a claim on your own. Claim dept. will give you zero help, they won't even talk to you, and expect you to know what the codes are for your condition and the codes for the care you received. You will have to buy a program that list the codes for a minimum of $250! Rant over, I could go on for days......

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
We pay 1100 a month for my wife and I (self employed) and we have a 13,400 out of pocket expense (deductible and co insurance) . it sucks!!

There some alternatives that are out there in what is called shared health plans which is a pool of $$ put in by everyone in the group and bills are paid after they are renegotiated by the group admins.

I looked into a shared plan associated with a Christian group. Spoke to a nice girl on the phone who was very helpful and patient; no hard sell at all. I told her I'd think about it and get back to her. I got online and started reading and it seems the operation is legit but few health care providers actually work with these groups. What good is it if the provider won't take the payment? It seems to me the providers are working with the insurance companies to squeeze any potential competition out of the market.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I looked into a shared plan associated with a Christian group. Spoke to a nice girl on the phone who was very helpful and patient; no hard sell at all. I told her I'd think about it and get back to her. I got online and started reading and it seems the operation is legit but few health care providers actually work with these groups. What good is it if the provider won't take the payment? It seems to me the providers are working with the insurance companies to squeeze any potential competition out of the market.

can you pay the provider and then get reimbursement from the health co. ? ita a pain but if it saves you money...…………….

J

JazmineWaters

Jan 17, 2023
Time to update this thread cause I need your help, guys. I've recently moved to the US from the Eastern EU, and the time has come for me to find out how health insurance work in the US. We've moved to Portland, so I'd be extremely grateful for any information about HI here. TIA!

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
WOW...$6500 family deductible would be great....that's what it used to be. Mine's closer to $15K!
Bro, max out of pocket was last I checked about $8,500 per person for all insurance. Is it $15K for the whole fam? that is about $18K per family.

I got a supplemental insurance to go with my high deductible policy through work. $6,500. It pays out on accidents, illness and wellness at 90% and is not too expensive. It was offered through my work but maybe you could find one?

Honestly I do not use my insurance. Never have met deductible even with the minor surgeries I had My son broke his back in 5 places had major surgery. $250K We paid max out of pocket and got $2500 back from secondary policy. Check into it.

BrandenFlynn

BrandenFlynn

Jul 18, 2022
Hey there! Welcome to Portland! It's definitely a different system than what you may be used to in the Eastern EU. As for health insurance, you should check out individual health insurance plans since you're new to the area and might not have employer-based coverage yet. Here's what you should check out https://ibgportland.com/individual-health-insurance for more information. Also, don't hesitate to reach out to other people in the community. And in any case, it's important to weigh the potential risks and benefits of dropping your health insurance and paying out of pocket. It's a personal decision, and it depends on your specific circumstances.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
*sigh*

One would almost think Jazmin is an alt account made solely to post this lead-in... No.., it couldn't be...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic