pbtom
What's New?

Iron levels

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Update

Ok, so I went back this morning and I was exactly 19.9 They got me in for something they called "double red" the nurse said that should get me down at least 2 points. The only issue is I can't donate there again until January. So I'm lining up with the red cross for next month. It could just be in my head but I already feel better. In the mean time I'm cutting the red meat, vitamin C, Liver and lowering my TRT level from 250 per week to 200 every 10 days.

On a completely unrelated topic I broke my middle finger last night in Jiu-jitsu so thats fun...lol

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Update

Ok, so I went back this morning and I was exactly 19.9 They got me in for something they called "double red" the nurse said that should get me down at least 2 points. The only issue is I can't donate there again until January. So I'm lining up with the red cross for next month. It could just be in my head but I already feel better. In the mean time I'm cutting the red meat, vitamin C, Liver and lowering my TRT level from 250 per week to 200 every 10 days.

On a completely unrelated topic I broke my middle finger last night in Jiu-jitsu so thats fun...lol
I recently donated at Red Cross, dont believe they have a high limit for hemoglobin, I know they wont let anyone donate who has a reading below 12. The whole process with red cross took less than 20 minutes, blood draw was 8 minutes, rest was paperwork related.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
I recently donated at Red Cross, dont believe they have a high limit for hemoglobin, I know they wont let anyone donate who has a reading below 12. The whole process with red cross took less than 20 minutes, blood draw was 8 minutes, rest was paperwork related.
From the RC Q&A site.

What is the minimum hemoglobin level needed for donating?

"To help ensure that it is safe for you to donate, females must have a minimum hemoglobin level of 12.5g/dL and males must have a minimum level of 13.0g/dL. A donor’s hemoglobin level cannot be higher than 20.0g/dL to donate."

Always best to make sure you are well hydrated before going in.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Update

The bummer with a double red donation is they make you wait 4 months before donating again, whereas a regular donation , you’re eligible every 2 months (56 days I think it is).
The double red supposedly takes double the red cells, then reinfuses your plasma and platelets.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
The bummer with a double red donation is they make you wait 4 months before donating again, whereas a regular donation , you’re eligible every 2 months (56 days I think it is).
The double red supposedly takes double the red cells, then reinfuses your plasma and platelets.
Yeah, my plan is to see how I feel around the end of the month and if I'm starting to feel rough again I'll hit up the red cross then or in November. That should get me through until January. Man, I feel so much better right now I can't even explain.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Yeah, my plan is to see how I feel around the end of the month and if I'm starting to feel rough again I'll hit up the red cross then or in November. That should get me through until January. Man, I feel so much better right now I can't even explain.
Don't wait until you feel rough, that means its already too high. There are other blood donation sites outside of RC. Wait a couple of weeks and get a CBC with walk in labs on line if avail in your state. Goal is to get the Hb/HCT down to about 16.5 and 50% post phlebo and about 17.5/52.5% just before, my comfort zone and my hematologist's. I waited because of my prostate laser surgery, thought for sure I'd lose a gram, blood loss was minimal and nothing changed, so now I'm at 18.5/55, phlebo next week, recheck in two and probably one more, then every 12 weeks.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . . There are other blood donation sites outside of RC . . . .
Been meaning to ask about this as the thread developed. Always figured there are other places to donate ... but is there no central database they all look at to see if you've been rejected somewhere, for what reason, and the date? Even if you've never been rejected, don't they have a way to check if you're coming back sooner than their guidelines require?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Been meaning to ask about this as the thread developed. Always figured there are other places to donate ... but is there no central database they all look at to see if you've been rejected somewhere, for what reason, and the date? Even if you've never been rejected, don't they have a way to check if you're coming back sooner than their guidelines require?
I asked the nurse and she said if I went to the same name clinic it would flag but I could go elsewhere and give (then she said I didn't hear that from her)

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
This is a VERY important subject / matter that I know MANY are not aware of and monitoring.
AAS induced polycythemia and hemochromatosis (to a bit lesser degree) is common in the gear use culture and little known to MANY users.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
RC has a central data base, but there are other blood drive organizations outside RC. A couple of competitors have donated at RC, didn't get them low enough, went to a clinical donation site a couple weeks later and donated again. That got them in their sweet spot and then were able to maintain within the RC donation guidelines. Or, a doc can order outside RC guidelines if needed to bring down HCT.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
This is a VERY important subject / matter that I know MANY are not aware of and monitoring.
AAS induced polycythemia and hemochromatosis (to a bit lesser degree) is common in the gear use culture and little known to MANY users.
Agreed. I knew it was important to keep an eye on my blood and liver but I didn't really understand just how quickly it can get out of hand. You can actually go from being perfectly healthy to stroke level in a couple of months. It has been a wake-up call for me.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
How was it donating double Reds? I am sure you are feeling great. Your blood isn’t like motor oil now. It crazy how quickly it gets out of control.

I usually do whole blood, but maybe this time I’ll try double reds. I actually need to go donate soon. Last time was June.

So a local body builder died a few years ago from this very thing. He never donated or did really any preventative care.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic