Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Internal bleeding from kidney, hospitalization and surgery

dragnflies

dragnflies

Feb 2, 2016
I was DL-ing in prep for a meet mid-april and in the process ruptured a hematoma on my kidney. The symptoms of the slow bleed were flu-like so I waited before going to the er, I made the issue worse somehow and the bleeding increased. I was admitted to the hospital after the CT scan found considerable bleeding. It seems a lump has been growing on my kidney for a couple of years, possibly cancerous, this is what ruptured. So I lost 30lbs in 3 weeks, gaining some back now but I lost all my gains and my strength is in the toilet. I am unable to train until after surgery which should be the end of July. They will either just take the lump or the whole kidney, I'll know more after the CT scans. Has anyone come back the same from something like this? The doctors say that I was lucky to not have bled out and that if this had not happened we would never have known about the lump which could spread to other organs.
Any insight concerning recovery would be appreciated.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
A lot of people out there survive and even thrive with one kidney. Ride out the storm as best you can. Keep your nutrition tight and do what you gotta do to get well. You body adapted to the work you put in before. It will do it again and then some.

Best wishes.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
At least you were diagnosed and are being taken care of, DL'ing may have saved your life if it was cancerous, could have spread w/o knowing until things may have been too late.
Hope you feel better soon.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
A lot of people out there survive and even thrive with one kidney. Ride out the storm as best you can. Keep your nutrition tight and do what you gotta do to get well. You body adapted to the work you put in before. It will do it again and then some.

Best wishes.
Good luck man....
POB is right, as uaual. Your one kidney will compensate for its fallen solider. Just follow instructions carefully and be patient with yourself.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Hope you have a speedy recovery.

dragnflies

dragnflies

Feb 2, 2016

Best wishes.

Thanks, POB, I've been trying to research as much as possible but I really haven't found a lot. I've heard that protein intake is an issue because it makes the kidney work harder.

GuerillaKilla

GuerillaKilla

Certified Pillow Biter
Jul 17, 2013
That smiley looks creepy as fuck, sorry. Was meant to be nice.

dragnflies

dragnflies

Feb 2, 2016
At least you were diagnosed and are being taken care of, DL'ing may have saved your life if it was cancerous, could have spread w/o knowing until things may have been too late.
Hope you feel better soon.

Yeah if it wasn't for PL I may be in a bad place. My parents have hated my lifting but now they love it, when the urologist told them I was lucky things happened the way they did, they love it. I'm feeling ok, just can't lift, cannot wait to be back under a bar.

dragnflies

dragnflies

Feb 2, 2016
Good luck man....
POB is right, as uaual. Your one kidney will compensate for its fallen solider. Just follow instructions carefully and be patient with yourself.

Thanks TenaciousA, I'm trying my best to do nothing :-( but I'm not the most patient, I learned my lesson about pushing things, I tried some accessories and it was just too much. So I'm just working on my tan.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic