Members
Latest Member
Imsprod1
What's New?

Intermittent fasting...your thoughts?

Cyber2Knight

Cyber2Knight

Aug 20, 2012
IF is like any other diet. Its a lifestyle diet that will work for some and not for others. Personally I never wake up hungry so having to eat in the morning was something I would have to force myself to do. Martin Berkhan has backed up his IF benefit claims with science and successful clients (the waiting list is 8 months) though he tends to be very technical in his explanations (not that its a bad thing some people like that approach). I prefer Andy Morgan's approach because he makes things easier in terms of how to track calories and macros. I've lost 5kgs of BF in the past 12 months using the cutting IF protocol and my feed window is 1-9pm. On training days my calories are 3000 and on off days its 2300. This works for me and my strength is increasing gradually and I see the visual changes in the mirror as well. I'm not half as strict as some of the other IF'ers and yet the fat is coming off slowly. I'm 6'2 and 215 (98kgs).

Cheers,
C2K

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
IF is like any other diet. Its a lifestyle diet that will work for some and not for others. Personally I never wake up hungry so having to eat in the morning was something I would have to force myself to do. Martin Berkhan has backed up his IF benefit claims with science and successful clients (the waiting list is 8 months) though he tends to be very technical in his explanations (not that its a bad thing some people like that approach). I prefer Andy Morgan's approach because he makes things easier in terms of how to track calories and macros. I've lost 5kgs of BF in the past 12 months using the cutting IF protocol and my feed window is 1-9pm. On training days my calories are 3000 and on off days its 2300. This works for me and my strength is increasing gradually and I see the visual changes in the mirror as well. I'm not half as strict as some of the other IF'ers and yet the fat is coming off slowly. I'm 6'2 and 215 (98kgs).

Nice, Cyber! I think I am going to look into this more. I don't need overnight changes but I like the components of it. A lot of powerlifters seem to do well so far with this.

Cyber2Knight

Cyber2Knight

Aug 20, 2012
Great! I'm no expert but please post any questions you have and I'll help where I can. Hopefully it will get to you to where you wanna be in the most practical way. I'm also not a fan of short cuts cos I like to feel that I have some idea what I'm doing. ;)

C2K

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Food has an effect on hormone production and release in the human body. As we know a long ester or a frequently pinned short ester would be desirable for aas to keep blood concentration levels from fluctuating. Its not much different with food. If you fast and then eat more, you will make your blood sugar unstable and thus your insulin release will be all over the place. Therefor, multiple small meals.... slow and consistent always wins the race.

Snachito

Snachito

Oct 8, 2010
Definitely would like to know more about IF, does anyone know of a good site that outlines this diet approach? Thank you in advance

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Food has an effect on hormone production and release in the human body. As we know a long ester or a frequently pinned short ester would be desirable for aas to keep blood concentration levels from fluctuating. Its not much different with food. If you fast and then eat more, you will make your blood sugar unstable and thus your insulin release will be all over the place. Therefor, multiple small meals.... slow and consistent always wins the race.
IMO that is mostly supplement company bro science.

Definitely would like to know more about IF, does anyone know of a good site that outlines this diet approach? Thank you in advance
http://www.leangains.com/

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
And you don't believe insulin has anything to do with that?
I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I've eaten 10 meals a day and I've also done IF. It's just an eating pattern.

3. Myth: Eat small meals to keep blood sugar levels under control.

Truth

According to legions of diet and health "experts," eating small meals every so often will help you avoid hunger pangs, provide you with stable energy throughout the day and keep you mentally sharp. Contrary to what many people seem to believe, blood sugar is extremely well-regulated and maintained within a tight range in healthy people. It does not swing wildly up and down like a chimpanzee on meth and it doesn't plummet from going a few hours without food. Or even a full day without food. Or a week without food for that matter.

People seem to believe they will suffer severe hunger and mental impairment from not eating every so often. Consider for a second the evolutionary consequences for survival if this was true. Given that regular periods of fasting, even famine, was a natural part of our past, do you think we'd be here today if we were unable to function when obtaining food was most critical? I have seen healthy young males, bodybuilders nonetheless, complain of lethargy and mental haze if they didn't get to eat for a few hours. It's completely absurd. But I digress...

Maintaining blood sugar is of very high priority and we have developed efficient pathways that will make it happen even under extreme conditions. If you were to fast for 23 hrs and then go for a 90 min run at 70-75% VO2max, your blood sugar after the run would be identical to the same run performed in the fed state. It would take no less than three days or 84 hours of fasting to reach blood sugar levels low enough to affect your mental state; and this is temporary, as your brain adapts to the use of ketones. During 48 hours of fasting, or severe calorie deprivation, blood sugar is maintained within a normal range no measure of cognitive performance is negatively affected.

For more on blood sugar, read my review of Eat Stop Eat Expanded Edition, which includes a relevant excerpt. Also, keep in mind that the above cited studies are all performed under conditions that are much more extreme than the fasting protocol I, or Brad Pilon, recommends.

What about blood sugar and hunger? Blood sugar is one of many short-term feedback mechanisms used to regulate hunger and the notion which exists to say that low blood sugar may cause hunger is correct. Low just means lower range. This is subject to numerous confounders, such as your habitual diet, energy intake and genetics. Most importantly perhaps, it's subject to entrained meal patterns, regulated by ghrelin and other metabolic hormones. In essence, this means that blood sugar follows the meal pattern you are used to. This is relevant for those who fear blood sugar issues and hunger from regular periods of fasting, as it serves to explain why people can easily adapt to regular periods of fasting without negative effects.

Origin

Not sure how people came to believe that skipping a meal would dumb them down. There is some truth to blood sugar and hunger, but this is often taken out of context. There's no need to eat regularly to "maintain" blood sugar as it maintains itself just fine and adapts to whatever meal pattern you choose.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Its an interesting article.

"For more on blood sugar, read my review of Eat Stop Eat Expanded Edition, which includes a relevant excerpt. Also, keep in mind that the above cited studies are all performed under conditions that are much more extreme than the fasting protocol I, or Brad Pilon, recommends."

Those studies would be an interesting read. Honestly, I still don't buy it. (I know your not trying to sell it to me) It just flies in the face of most known dietary science. I mean, should we just throw out the Glycemic Index?

You know, science or no science, time will tell and enough people will try this to make anecdotal evidence. My money's against IF.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic