Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Interesting training fact/tidbit

guss

guss

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2010
This was posted by Phil Hernon on another board. What do you think? Do you do full range of motion exercises?

STUDIES SHOW THAT IF YOU ARE DOING AN ISOMETRIC EXERCISE SUCH AS WALL SQUATS......SAY 90 DEGREE ANGLE.....YOU WILL BUILD STRENGTH INTO THE 70 DEGREE TO 110 DEGREE RANGE........IT IS CALLED CARRYOVER.....AND CAN BE APPLIED TO SHORTER REP TRAINING. THIS IS WHY I NEVER ADVOCATE FULL RANGE REPS, ALONG WITH THE INJURY FACTOR.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
sorry Phil...much respect, but I need to see said studies.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
I agree with carry over. Mostly, as long as an exercise functions similar to another there will be some degree of carry over, for example. Glute ham raises will carry over more to deadlifts than an exercise like leg extensions will carry over to squat. What I don't agree with is going partial for the sake of being injury free, if you want to be injury free there is something called proper form and warming up.

What happens if you don't do a full range of motion on a squat and do these half squat or quarter squats as they are, you never develop the balance or feel for performing a squat correctly and will increase your chance for injury.

Spikykite

Spikykite

Feb 14, 2011
I agree with carry over. Mostly, as long as an exercise functions similar to another there will be some degree of carry over, for example. Glute ham raises will carry over more to deadlifts than an exercise like leg extensions will carry over to squat. What I don't agree with is going partial for the sake of being injury free, if you want to be injury free there is something called proper form and warming up.

What happens if you don't do a full range of motion on a squat and do these half squat or quarter squats as they are, you never develop the balance or feel for performing a squat correctly and will increase your chance for injury.

I think so too Wolf

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Truth be told you should be doing all ranges, partials, light, heavy etc...these people who lock themselves into one type of training really have a physique that usually reflects it.
Partials are good, isometrics too I do them on a regular basis, but all styles should be employed for maximum muscle stimulus IMHO.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
Truth be told you should be doing all ranges, partials, light, heavy etc...these people who lock themselves into one type of training really have a physique that usually reflects it.
Partials are good, isometrics too I do them on a regular basis, but all styles should be employed for maximum muscle stimulus IMHO.

Word! I totally agree AJ. You can definitely tell the difference between physiques in relation to how people train. If you employ all these styles you definitely end up with a more symmetrical and better developed physique. Symmetry is where it's at and I believe the more symmetrical and hence "put together" you look, the better and bigger you look. The human eye, especially our own in the mirror, is keen to picking up imbalances.

S

soinkid

Mar 14, 2011
alot of my sets i do i switch the range. say on bench, ill do 7 reps in the lower range, 7 reps in the upper range, and 7 full reps. it kills ya

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Not only do I perform full ROM on movements but I will even add ROM to the movement like deficit deads or using 25lbs (10kg) plates instead of 45lbs (20kg) plates to increase the ROM. I don't buy into the whole, if you perform full ROM you'll get injured. That's where form comes into play, proper warm ups (dynamic warm ups), and prehab work.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Frankly I think the whole partial range of motion comes from the idea that you can isolate a muscle group while performing a compound movement. If you search online you'll see threads that ask how to isolate quads, hamstrings or glutes during squatting. Most of the responses will be to put the legs at widths apart, only to use a certain range of motion, essentially promoting poor form with mechanical disadvantage.

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
What I don't agree with is going partial for the sake of being injury free, if you want to be injury free there is something called proper form and warming up.

Nope. I have done ass-to-grass and parallel squats (full ROM) for 18-years and I have always used proper form, warmed up properly, and never went heavier than I could handle. My thighs are pushing 31" @ 6% BF. Full ROM puts an extreme amount of pressure, or tension, on the petallar tendon, and now I have a partial tear. It will never heal properly and I am now stuck with doing squats and extensions in the upper third of the ROM. If I go deeper, the orthopaedic surgeon says I am at a great risk of having the tendon fully tear and subsequently, surgery. Therefore, I am doing partials for the sake of being injury-free, or rather, further injury-free. If I had known this when I started lifting, I never would have gone ass-to-grass.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
Nope. I have done ass-to-grass and parallel squats (full ROM) for 18-years and I have always used proper form, warmed up properly, and never went heavier than I could handle. My thighs are pushing 31" @ 6% BF. Full ROM puts an extreme amount of pressure, or tension, on the petallar tendon, and now I have a partial tear. It will never heal properly and I am now stuck with doing squats and extensions in the upper third of the ROM. If I go deeper, the orthopaedic surgeon says I am at a great risk of having the tendon fully tear and subsequently, surgery. Therefore, I am doing partials for the sake of being injury-free, or rather, further injury-free. If I had known this when I started lifting, I never would have gone ass-to-grass.

31"......much respect bro, that's as tall as IronCore.

MAYO

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic