Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Interesting Article About Milk !

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
I've seen a few debates about milk around here but this has nothing to do with them, I read this article on MD and thought it was interesting. I personally don't drink milk and I avoid plastics anywhere I can, this might sound crazy to some but reading some things a while back opened my mind and if I'm looking to be the best that I can be milk just doesn't cut it..
On a serious note BPA is some nasty shit that I don't want to fuck with.

Sorry it might seem like a ton of words but this was the MILK side of the article. Enjoy !
*Not saying don't drink it, not saying anything bad but just passing down an article I found informative.

Estrogen In Your Milk

You have probably heard all the buzz around about the possible dangers of environmental estrogens. The discussion usually revolves around stuff like phthalates and bisphenol A found in plastics and the dangers they pose when they get inadvertantly absorbed or ingested. But while estrogens from plastics may very well represent a concern (to infants especially), I think there is a much larger endocrinological threat out there that unfortunately is not discussed nearly as often.

Man has been drinking cow’s milk for thousands of years, and history has taught us that this consumption has pretty much been a healthy practice. However, this situation may recently have changed. The milk we are drinking today is quite a bit different than the milk we drank 100 or 500 years ago. In times past, cows were pasture-fed and the milk they generated was usually gathered after the cows gave birth. Today, however, cows live on feedlots where they are fed fattening corn and given hormones to increase milk yield. But more important to the issue at hand is the fact that they are kept pregnant most of the time, since that increases farmers’ productivity and cost-efficiency. As a result, much of the milk today originates from pregnant cows.

Cows continue to lactate throughout their pregnancy and during the second half of their pregnancy, in particular the levels of female hormones (estrogens and progesterone) in their milk rises considerably. The levels of these hormones and their biological potencies far exceed that of the weak xenobiotic estrogens in plastics and so pose a far greater risk to our health. In fact, many studies have been done, showing a strong correlation between milk intake and hormone-related diseases such as ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, breast cancer, testicular cancer, and prostate cancer.

Now you may be asking yourself, “Just how much female hormone is present in milk? Is it enough to provoke any significant adverse physiological effects in regular people?”

A study in the journal Pediatrics International actually looked into this— and what they found should raise some concern. The study had men and children drink a moderate amount of milk (600 mL). They then examined the change in hormone levels over the course of the next two hours. What they found in the men was a significant increase in estradiol and progesterone, coupled by a simultaneous drop in LH, FSH, and testosterone. The children showed increases in female hormones as well, as indicated by the observed urinary excretion of substantial quantities of estrogen and progesterone metabolites.

The study then went on to examine the effects of longer-term ingestion of milk in women. The women ingested 500 ml of milk every night for 21 days, starting on the first day of menstruation. What they found was that the timing of their ovulation was altered by the milk intake.

So apparently, drinking moderate amounts of milk may suppress testosterone in men, alter women’s menstrual cycles and fertility, and possibly even affect the sexual maturation of children. But what does this mean to us? Well, some factors have to be considered. Number one is that these female steroid hormones are primarily present in the fat portion of milk. That means whole milk, cream products, and cheese (many cheeses are high in fat) comprise the worst potential culprits. However, skim milk and low-fat cheese products might not be nearly so bad. So I guess the bottom line is that you may want to limit the amount of dairy you consume in your diet and/or opt for low-fat or fat-free varieties of dairy products.

Spikykite

Spikykite

Feb 14, 2011
interesting read hugerobb!
check this out:

Drinking Water Contaminated With Potent Estrogen, According To Study

Plastic packaging is not without its downsides, and if you thought mineral water was 'clean', it may be time to think again. According to Martin Wagner and Jörg Oehlmann from the Department of Aquatic Ecotoxicology at the Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, plastic mineral water bottles contaminate drinking water with estrogenic chemicals. In an analysis1 of commercially available mineral waters, the researchers found evidence of estrogenic compounds leaching out of the plastic packaging into the water. What's more, these chemicals are potent in vivo and result in an increased development of embryos in the New Zealand mud snail. These findings, which show for the first time that substances leaching out of plastic food packaging materials act as functional estrogens, are published in Springer's journal Environmental Science and Pollution Research.

Wagner and Oehlmann looked at whether the migration of substances from packaging material into foodstuffs contributes to human exposure to man-made hormones. They analyzed 20 brands of mineral water available in Germany - nine bottled in glass, nine bottled in plastic and two bottled in composite packaging (paperboard boxes coated with an inner plastic film). The researchers took water samples from the bottles and tested them for the presence of estrogenic chemicals in vitro. They then carried out a reproduction test with the New Zealand mud snail to determine the source and potency of the xenoestrogens.

They detected estrogen contamination in 60% of the samples (12 of the 20 brands) analyzed. Mineral waters in glass bottles were less estrogenic than waters in plastic bottles. Specifically, 33% of all mineral waters bottled in glass compared with 78% of waters in plastic bottles and both waters bottled in composite packaging showed significant hormonal activity.

By breeding the New Zealand mud snail in both plastic and glass water bottles, the researchers found more than double the number of embryos in plastic bottles compared with glass bottles. Taken together, these results demonstrate widespread contamination of mineral water with potent man-made estrogens that partly originate from compounds leaching out of the plastic packaging material.

The authors conclude: "We must have identified just the tip of the iceberg in that plastic packaging may be a major source of xenohormone* contamination of many other edibles. Our findings provide an insight into the potential exposure to endocrine-disrupting chemicals due to unexpected sources of contamination."

Notes:

*man-made substance that has a hormone-like effect

Reference

1. Wagner M & Oehlmann J (2009). Endocrine disruptors in bottled mineral water: total estrogenic burden and migration from plastic bottles. Environ Sci Pollut Res; [10.1007/s11356-009-0107-7]

Source:
Renate Bayaz
Springer

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
My girl supplies me with enough of her milk, no need for a cow....

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
holy moly guys! i think we can safely say that everything is bad for you and everything will kill you or mess with your body somehow! if you want to find something bad on anything, you can. saying that just because cows are kept pregnant while milking increases the estrogen and progesterone in their milk and that it is going to harm you somehow is ridiculous! milk cows have always been kept pregnant, it is economics of the business. they have bull calves that release testosterone into the mothers system as well, but i dont see any mention of that. did you know that if a cow has twins, one male and one female, that the testosterone production of the male calf renders the female a freemartin. her uterus and ovaries are malformed. so maybe the just need to start sexing all the semen that they are inseminating the cows with and have bull calf milk and heifer calf milk. then you can have milk with increased testosterone and milk without out! it is an interesting article but give me a break! also, what about all the meat that you eat that comes from female cows :eek: oh my, you are getting more estrogen! heifers are fattened and eaten just as much as steers in the feedlot! so are they supposed to start labeling that as well? if you want to find something wrong with anything, you can! like i tell my clients all the time, read it, keep it in the back of your head but just because someone wrote an article on it and posted it on the internet doesnt mean that it is true!

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
I just found it interesting and thought it would be a good post.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic