Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Inguinal hernia surgery

thegodofwisdom666

thegodofwisdom666

Apr 18, 2021
I just had inguinal hernia surgery January 5th was cleared to start training February 20 or 19th.
I was doing 2-3 hours of high volume training a day, but with light weight.
The area where the hernia was began to hurt, no signs of a tear. I got the mesh.
What would be safer to back up on my volume or just go back to martial arts mainland boxing and taekwondo? I don't ever want to have another hernia or surgery.
Thank you

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I would think if the area is bothering you martial arts/kick boxing would bother it more than weights. I wouldn't go 2 - 3 hours, maybe 1 with moderate weight until your body is telling you that you can do more.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I just had inguinal hernia surgery January 5th was cleared to start training February 20 or 19th . . .

Did you and the doctor(s) go into any detail about what kind of training, and how much? You described a fairly ambitious pre-surgery training regime ... your doctor(s) may be "clearing you" for what a typical person your age might be expected to do, rather than what I bet you have in mind.

thegodofwisdom666

thegodofwisdom666

Apr 18, 2021
Did you and the doctor(s) go into any detail about what kind of training, and how much? You described a fairly ambitious pre-surgery training regime ... your doctor(s) may be "clearing you" for what a typical person your age might be expected to do, rather than what I bet you have in mind.
Hey told me to stick with yoga and martial arts and about 30-45 of each top, but I like to really push myself.
I'm trying to get back to where I was or better.
I know I need to be more humble and patience is virtue, but I go to acting or being a extremest...
I'm seeing my approach of full throttle is going to get me reinjured.
I may try the moderate weight or something not as intense like cardio running a few miles.
My main goal is to be in good shape and healthy.
Thank you for your answers and wisdom

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
I have only had the umbilical hernia repair surgery and yours I believe is in the groin?

With mine I was never afraid I would rip the mesh after surgery but it was more just pain were the incisions were.......so I could deal with that problem.

I would take it easy if in the groin with any type of high kick in TKD.....I would think just boxing would be no problem.

C

charger69

Jul 4, 2017
Micro or macro surgery? Micro is where they use mechanical arms through incisions in your upper stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegodofwisdom666

thegodofwisdom666

Apr 18, 2021
I have only had the umbilical hernia repair surgery and yours I believe is in the groin?

With mine I was never afraid I would rip the mesh after surgery but it was more just pain were the incisions were.......so I could deal with that problem.

I would take it easy if in the groin with any type of high kick in TKD.....I would think just boxing would be no problem.
I'd prefer bodybuilding, but boxing or something to keep me in shape will be sufficient enough. And yes it was in the groin right by my pecker.
Ok so I think I'm having similar problems as you did just pain around the area because there is no signs of tear or hernia. Many thanks

thegodofwisdom666

thegodofwisdom666

Apr 18, 2021
Micro or macro surgery? Micro is where they use mechanical arms through incisions in your upper stomach.

Macro the cut me up with blade I got about a 6 inches scare. And it was by my private area .
I think Vale having a similar issue gives me a good idea. I just need to be safe and now I know that I'll have pain from time to time.
Many thanks

C

charger69

Jul 4, 2017
Macro the cut me up with blade I got about a 6 inches scare. And it was by my private area .
I think Vale having a similar issue gives me a good idea. I just need to be safe and now I know that I'll have pain from time to time.
Many thanks

I had micro about 4 years ago. They put a mesh in.
I was trimming a tree about 6 hours after the surgery. I was tender, and moved slow, but I did it.
Granted- Dr would have killed me if he knew what I did.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
I have only had the umbilical hernia repair surgery

I did as well (stiched not mesh)..

Mine tore slightly within 6 mo's after surgery. Still living with it to this day. Surgeon said to leave it alone unless it causes issues.

Wisdom666 sounds like quite a surgery and scar. I'm sure you can work your way back into heavy weight but you have to take your time and have discipline (unlike me). I tried to get back to 100% to quickly and paid the price. However I did get back to 100% and surpass my previous goals (different type of hernia tho) thereafter.

Get back at it bro. Good Luck!

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Hey told me to stick with yoga and martial arts and about 30-45 of each top, but I like to really push myself.
I'm trying to get back to where I was or better.
I know I need to be more humble and patience is virtue, but I go to acting or being a extremest...
I'm seeing my approach of full throttle is going to get me reinjured.
I may try the moderate weight or something not as intense like cardio running a few miles.
My main goal is to be in good shape and healthy.
Thank you for your answers and wisdom

I'm seeing a mixed bag of answers up there. Everyone on this board likes to really push themselves, but the ones in their 40s, and especially their 50s, and the few in their 60s are learning to adjust how they do that. That idea applies to post-surgical patients of any age as well.

You have lots of time to see what adjustments might be capable of getting you back to where you were or even better ... going full throttle invites the two steps forward ... one, or 2? or 3?! steps backward approach. There's about a million Ronnie Coleman vids on youtube ... ignore the training+posing ones and check out the ones about his multiple spinal surgeries, "multiple" as in he kept fucking up previous surgeries, up to and including breaking surgical screws from earlier surgeries. The vids that show x-rays of snapped screws or of Ronnie getting around with a walker can suck the full throttle out of a guy. Ronnie's spine is a bigger deal than a hernia (except to the owner of the hernia), but it does illustrate how DIY recovery/rehab/comeback can go awry.

On this board we discuss our experiences with doctors a lot ... occasionally we praise, more often we do not. Unless it's already obvious your doctor is a total asshole, why not discuss your specific ideas for your comeback with him/her ........ i.e. the forces generated by martial arts training vs. t.u.t. bodybuilding training, or the impact that comes with running a few miles?

If your doc proves to be a total asshole, get a 2nd opinion if you and your insurance can tolerate it. If not, broscience is also a mixed bag, but it's free, and there's a helluva lot of real-life experience here.

thegodofwisdom666

thegodofwisdom666

Apr 18, 2021
Yeah my doctor's a Hindu so he pushes yoga....,but the only yoga I want is kama sutra (sex yoga) with a woman LoL

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic