Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Incline Dumbell Press

arnold

arnold

Sep 9, 2010
This has been one of my favorite exercises since I started playing with weights, I've recently hit the ceiling with these at my gym and im repping the heaviest dumbells at the gym for reps now (100's).

Someone had the suggestion that I drop some weight off my press and go for super deep reps, from all the way down, to all the way up. I tried this after my regular press routine and sure enough I could only really press 85's this way, I literally brought the weights down to the start position with my upper arms at a steep downward angle with the weight on my shoulders, almost like an "Arnold Press" but for the incline.

My observation of this type of rep would be that I'm not following the conventional incline press form because the elbows have to be super tucked to come that far down and you cant go really wide. If I tried a normal rep going this low, it would majorly destroy the shoulders... do you guys think this is a beneficial way to increase the strength of my incline press or should I just stick to the 100s and going just past 90 degrees when Im coming down and do more reps?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I'm always looking for the greatest range of motion possible while staying in the margins of safety. In my particular case, I have always brought the head of the dumbbell down to my shoulder and then all the way up stopping just before lock-out. Everyone complains that its all tricep that low, but I think that isn't true. I feel my chest contract too.

A more full range of motion will always get you better development.

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
I do these with the 110's and I go right past 90 degrees, I feel if you past that you take more of a chance of hurting yourself, on all exercises I go right past 90. You will never get a consistent answer on this SO, do what you feel more comfortable with.

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
This is one of my favorite exercises as well but going that low does increase the potential for shoulder damage. If you really want to go low I would start with a really light weight and feel it out for a couple of weeks being mindful of how your shoulders feel in between workouts then go from there. I also like to go really low on dips but have to be careful not to injure my shoulders.

I

ironlion27

Jun 28, 2011
I'd recommend staying at the 90 or SLIGHTLY past. The risk for shoulder injury and ligament damage across your sternum goes through the roof past there. From what I've read having your elbows tucked vs having them wide makes a difference for the shoulder strain but doesn't decrees the risk on your sternal ligaments.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
There's a good post on here about shoulder ROM and how you should go only as low as you are comfortable otherwise you are putting too much stress on your shoulder joint. Everyone's ROM and shoulder makeup is going to be a bit different so to put a blanket statement, like "go to 90 degrees," on the situation isn't ideal.

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
For me dumbells are HORRIBLE on my shoulders, for some reason flat/incline bench is much easier, so i use those for my compounds instead.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Wait a minute, I actually agree with KBD on something? This is one of the only things I don't use dumbbells for. I just like the feel better with a bb for incline. Flat bench and most everything else I use dumbbells for.

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
Wait a minute, I actually agree with KBD on something? This is one of the only things I don't use dumbbells for. I just like the feel better with a bb for incline. Flat bench and most everything else I use dumbbells for.

Everyone would usually say its the other way around, not for me man. Somethin about dumbells, just make my shoulder/rotator cuff ache!

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Do them with a lighter weight and see how they feel. I personally like dumbbells for most everything.

osiris

osiris

May 9, 2011

I am the same exact way on this movement LK. Since i tore my pec on flat bench years ago, i have tweaked most movements to limit the ROM to where i am comfortable and there is no stress on the tendon. Dumbbells for me tend to put me into an unnatural feeling position. I prefer hammer strength over these any day of the week.

I think we should all look at what is comfortable. There is a difference between hating a movement because it causes us discomfort because its hard(squats) and a movement causiong us pain. A perfect example is bench press, i forced myself to do these BUT they never felt comfortable on my shoulders. I got very strong on these and there are a few people on the boards that were there the day i tore my pec. I had 425 on the bar and got a good 6 reps vewry easily, i just reversed the motion at the bottom of the press after lightly touching on the 7th rep and BAM my pec tore completely and rolled up under my bicep=-( The key for me was that this exercise never felt natural and i didnt listen to my body.So listen to your body and find exercises that let you get inhumanly strong BUT feel natural to you!

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
Do them with a lighter weight and see how they feel. I personally like dumbbells for most everything.

Yeah but the pain stops at a weight thats very light and doesnt feel like its doing much of anything. Thats the only problem.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic