Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

IGF Cancer Theory

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
As AJ said, the word yet has to be determined. I BB that I knew of back in the 90's I found out has pancreas issues, not sure if it's cancer, or it's just not working correctly, I didn't get into it, but I also know this guy has heart problems too. The key is to keep things simple and not go crazy with any of these compounds.

I would point a finger at diuretics. I may be proven wrong, but that's where my finger will point.

Reactions: KBD

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
IGF might not be carcenogenic But(IGF-I) is a mitogen for human breast cancer cells and other types of cancer both in vivo and in vitro. Reason Most cancer treatment centers for breast cancer use Tamoxifen Which has been proven to reduce mean levels of IGF by 23%. And also Faslodex which reduces IGF-I receptor (IGF-IR) mRNA levels by 70%

B

Bilter

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2011
I have read contradictory studies in the past, (again with rodents so take it for what its worth) that long term elevation in IGF levels increases the incidence of cancer in lab rats. It is generally possible to find studies that support what ever side of any health topic you wish to take a stand on..

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
I have read contradictory studies in the past, (again with rodents so take it for what its worth) that long term elevation in IGF levels increases the incidence of cancer in lab rats. It is generally possible to find studies that support what ever side of any health topic you wish to take a stand on..

exactly!! if no statistical evidence than one has proved nothing!

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010

Good point, I agree that's why I always look for ones done on humans First, here is an example why you shouldn't take it as word or fact when it's done on animals. Just to mention The IGF most use for BB purposes is far from rhIGF-I used in clinical research and applications. rhIGF-I is not reported as being carcinogenic in humans from what i've seen but mechanistically can contribute to all stages of the neoplastic process of cancer.

Despite promising animal data or theoretical appeal of rhIGF-I for certain conditions, the results of some clinical trials have shown no benefit. For example, rhIGF-I was shown to enhance recovery in a rat model of acute renal failure.75 However, a clinical trial of rhIGF-I showed no benefit in human subjects with delayed graft function following cadaveric renal transplantation.76
Roy J. Kim, MD, MPH
Adda Grimberg, MD
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine

The anti-estrogen Faslodex showing a profound effect on lowering IGF to slow cancer growth.
Regulation of insulin-like growth factor I receptor expression by the pure antiestrogen ICI 182780.

Clin Cancer Res 1996 Dec;2(12):2037-42 (ISSN: 1078-0432)

Huynh H; Nickerson T; Pollak M; Yang X [Find other articles with these Authors]
Lady Davis Research Institute, and Department of Medicine, McGill University, 3755 Cote St. Catherine Road, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1E2, Canada.

Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) is a mitogen for human breast cancer cells both in vivo and in vitro. We demonstrate here that the antiestrogen ICI 182780 (ICI) at 10(-8) m decreases IGF-I receptor (IGF-IR) mRNA levels by 70% after treatment for 48 h. Measurements of mRNA stability indicate that the half-life of IGF-IR mRNA is approximately 3 h. Estradiol treatment increases the half-life of the IGF-IR mRNA to approximately 6 h and the level of IGF-IR gene transcription by 1.8-fold, whereas ICI treatment not only decreases the IGF-IR transcription rate by 50% but also decreases the IGF-IR mRNA half-life to less than 3 h. Affinity labeling studies with [125I]-IGF-I show 35% increased labeled IGF-I to MCF-7 cell membrane following estradiol treatment and 40% decreased labeling following ICI treatment. We also demonstrate that ICI attenuates IGF-I-stimulated growth. Our data suggest that attenuation of IGF-I responsivity by ICI may be due in part to reducing the IGF-IR expression.
------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic