Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

IGF-1 may speed up tissue and ligament repair post-surgery

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Hansen, M., Boesen, A., Holm, L., Flyvbjerg, A., Langberg, H. and Kjaer, M. (2013), Effect of IGF‐I on tendon collagen synthesis. Scand J Med Sci Sports, 23: 614-619. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2011.01431.x

Abstract

Collagen is the predominant structural protein in tendons and ligaments, and can be controlled by hormonal changes. In animals, injections of insulin‐like growth factor I (IGF‐I) has been shown to increase collagen synthesis in tendons and ligaments and to improve structural tissue healing, but the effect of local IGF‐I administration on tendon collagen synthesis in human has not been studied. The purpose of this study was to study whether local injections of IGF‐I would have a stimulating effect on tendon collagen synthesis. Twelve healthy nonsmoking men [age 62 ± 1 years (mean ± SEM), BMI 27 ± 1] participated. Two injections of either human recombinant IGF‐I (0.1 mL Increlex©) or saline (control) into each patellar tendon were performed 24‐h apart, respectively. Tendon collagen fractional synthesis rate (FSR) was measured by stable isotope technique in the hours after the second injection. Simultaneously, interstitial peritendinous (IGF‐I) and [procollagen type I N‐terminal propeptide (PINP)], as a marker for type I collagen synthesis, were determined by microdialysis technique. Tendon collagen FSR and PINP were significantly higher in the IGF‐I leg compared with the control leg (P < 0.05). In conclusion, local IGF‐I administration can directly enhance tendon collagen synthesis both within and around the human tendon tissue.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Thanx!...Very informative!!!!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic