Latest Member
Kiddorism

If you could Design a Squat Cage?

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Well it looks like I will get too...

I have been invited to Local shop that's focused on Crossfit, but wants to make a Powerlifting Cage for Gyms and Homes. They want me to check out there old Cage and help either to improve it or a Total Redesign.

What are things you would want on your own Cage?

1. Things I'm thinking about... The lower Bars that go from Front to rear Post. Be a piece of flat Stock bolted to the outside... This would open up the side width for wide stance by 4in-6in. Without making the Cage any wider overall.

2. Going to throw the idea of Mono-Lift Attachments like we have seen in the past and what Rogue has copied.

3. Band Attachments top and Bottom are a Must

4. WestSide Adjustments

5. 2x3 or 3x3 tubing, but 2x3 is plenty for 99% of us.

Anything else guys? Want to keep the ideas cost effective and useful.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
No offense but, a true power rack isnt a big deal to make. I made one from tube steel years ago. Only so many ways to skin a cat. The flat stock idea is terrible as it pertains to stability of design to resist force.

Halo

Halo

MuscleHead
Jul 5, 2011
That sounds good and I agree 2X3 should be good. Is the flat stock for bolting it to the floor?

Just my crazy idea about spotting platforms(attachable or detachable and adjustable height)

If I had what I wanted I've always thought of some kind of diamond plate pieces that would be on a fold down from both sides of the back of the rack towards the middle and serve as a spotting platform for benching or if they had a mount that the could use the bars that go front to rear to have the open hinge type brackets that the bars would go through for mounting so it could be adjustable for spotting overhead presses as well as flat bench.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
That sounds good and I agree 2X3 should be good. Is the flat stock for bolting it to the floor?

Just my crazy idea about spotting platforms(attachable or detachable and adjustable height)

If I had what I wanted I've always thought of some kind of diamond plate pieces that would be on a fold down from both sides of the back of the rack towards the middle and serve as a spotting platform for benching or if they had a mount that the could use the bars that go front to rear to have the open hinge type brackets that the bars would go through for mounting so it could be adjustable for spotting overhead presses as well as flat bench.

I have platforms like that on a rack at my gym I will send you pics.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Ram for the bottom cross members they don't need to be on the outside. Just don't put them on the floor. If I have to use a rack at my gym we have a few where I put my toes under the crossmember.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
No offense but, a true power rack isnt a big deal to make. I made one from tube steel years ago. Only so many ways to skin a cat. The flat stock idea is terrible as it pertains to stability of design to resist force.

Yes there is only so many ways..but there is also better ways of doing things. Thinking of ways to improve, out of the box thinking or at least getting all the must have features in 1 rack is important.

The flat stock could have a bend, small L shape to provide strength. .but just 4 to 5in tall and 1/4 thick woukd be pretty strong. Its just to help prevent the cage frok shifting and not really weight bearing.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012

Thats a good idea too.. want to address a basic cage that can be added too.. Like you idea, the mono attachment, Rev.hyper...etc....

the flt stock idea was just the brace that goes front to back and a few inches off the ground.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Ram for the bottom cross members they don't need to be on the outside. Just don't put them on the floor. If I have to use a rack at my gym we have a few where I put my toes under the crossmember.

I figured the added space would be nice for bigger wider stance guys or even sumo pulling...actually ditch the flat stock. .just thought of a better deal...

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
The best rack I've used is the old cheap Westside rack because it didn't even have a bottom crossmember. There's was 2x2 but bolted to concrete, but if you did it 3x3 it'd be bomb proof even bolted to a plywood platform.
This would let you do sumo pulls and wide squats easily. This also opens up the sides so you can fit a competition bench in the rack to do reverse band benches easily. You can still use bands without it, you just need a band peg on the bottom of the uprights ( running parallel to the bar)....

The other stuff, like a mono attachment are great too.

Post a link when you get a finished product!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
If you could bolt a fryolater to the side of it so I can make wings or fried poptarts while I train and have snacks between sets that'd be great.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
If you could bolt a fryolater to the side of it so I can make wings or fried poptarts while I train and have snacks between sets that'd be great.

Yep... there definitely needs to be some sort of snacking accessory on it.....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic