What's New?

Ice Storms, Rail and Airports

A

AlphaMale!

VIP Member
Dec 11, 2022
Hope all has worked out for you PV.
I live in the Ozarks.
Got down to -8 last night with a -26 windchill and snow.

Attachments

• BD07EFBE-9BD3-42F0-BE75-DF7014ED6620.jpeg
    BD07EFBE-9BD3-42F0-BE75-DF7014ED6620.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 33
genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Back in the room. Looking at schedules....I'm not even sure I can get out tomorrow, and Christmas day is iffy as well.

So my airline says they are working on flights. Does that mean they will find something and contact me, or am I supposed to book something myself? I've already looked, there is nothing for tomorrow. Tried every airport in So Cal.

Anyone with experience with this, please chime in. I'm on Alaska and I'm in Seattle. I know better than to even try to call them.
Probably not much better, but lived in the Pacific NW for 18 years, so I know sometimes weather can be very localized. Have you looked at trying to fly out of Portland? It may cost you a bit of money to get down there, but it is an alternative.

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
I have tried EVERYTHING. Only flights were on the 26th, which I booked, so I'm stuck three extra nights in Seattle. Looked into Amtrak, driving to Portland and flying from there, etc. Even looked into renting a car and driving all the way back. Things are majorly fucked due to 0.5 - 1.0 inches of ice overnight, and even this afternoon, it was like an ice rink walking to the mall, which was pretty much empty with most stores closed despite it being two days before Christmas. Even on the 26th now, the only flights available are first class, which Alaska won't cover (I booked Coach before it sold out). Oh....and did I mention it's going to be raining every single day I have left? Alaska never came up on chat....never responded to their 5 digit text customer service....and when calling them earlier they listed an 8 hour wait time.....and now, 10:15 PM Pacific.....get nothing but busy signals. I have so many options of friends I can stay with.....Portland (haven't seen her in years, though)....Sacramento.....Bay Area......San Diego.....our own house in Palm Springs.....NOTHING. Nearly booked something through Boise as there is someone I can stay with there as well, but it doesn't get me home any quicker. Kicker is I can't really be mad at Alaska....weather is not their fault, but this little quick trip to Seattle is costing me more than a week long Europe trip would have. Didn't bring enough prescription meds, had to call my doc's cell to get him to have a local pharmacy fill scrips, which weren't covered by insurance because they were just filled. I'm gonna be on my own for Christmas, nothing to do or see because of the rain and I've been to Seattle a million times and done it all anyway. Locked in a hotel room and only watching movies (thank God I brought my Roku stick) and going to their small gym for workouts. And WTF am I supposed to do for food on Christmas? I'm honestly considering placing a Craigslist ad explaining my situation and seeing if some kind soul will invite me to dinner, but that sounds kinda needy and desperate and I'm pretty good on my own anyway....so I'll probably just get extra takeout tomorrow so I have something to eat on Christmas.

Sorry this is such a downer, but I did NOT want to spend 6 days in Seattle, especially over Christmas with nothing to do.

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
In what I initially thought was a moment of brilliance....I just checked Seattle to Tijuana. Nope.

T

thehulk

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2022
I have tried EVERYTHING. Only flights were on the 26th, which I booked, so I'm stuck three extra nights in Seattle. Looked into Amtrak, driving to Portland and flying from there, etc. Even looked into renting a car and driving all the way back. Things are majorly fucked due to 0.5 - 1.0 inches of ice overnight, and even this afternoon, it was like an ice rink walking to the mall, which was pretty much empty with most stores closed despite it being two days before Christmas. Even on the 26th now, the only flights available are first class, which Alaska won't cover (I booked Coach before it sold out). Oh....and did I mention it's going to be raining every single day I have left? Alaska never came up on chat....never responded to their 5 digit text customer service....and when calling them earlier they listed an 8 hour wait time.....and now, 10:15 PM Pacific.....get nothing but busy signals. I have so many options of friends I can stay with.....Portland (haven't seen her in years, though)....Sacramento.....Bay Area......San Diego.....our own house in Palm Springs.....NOTHING. Nearly booked something through Boise as there is someone I can stay with there as well, but it doesn't get me home any quicker. Kicker is I can't really be mad at Alaska....weather is not their fault, but this little quick trip to Seattle is costing me more than a week long Europe trip would have. Didn't bring enough prescription meds, had to call my doc's cell to get him to have a local pharmacy fill scrips, which weren't covered by insurance because they were just filled. I'm gonna be on my own for Christmas, nothing to do or see because of the rain and I've been to Seattle a million times and done it all anyway. Locked in a hotel room and only watching movies (thank God I brought my Roku stick) and going to their small gym for workouts. And WTF am I supposed to do for food on Christmas? I'm honestly considering placing a Craigslist ad explaining my situation and seeing if some kind soul will invite me to dinner, but that sounds kinda needy and desperate and I'm pretty good on my own anyway....so I'll probably just get extra takeout tomorrow so I have something to eat on Christmas.

Sorry this is such a downer, but I did NOT want to spend 6 days in Seattle, especially over Christmas with nothing to do.
Damn bro that sucks. I’d get on that extra food though so come tomorrow you have more than vending machine peanuts.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Damn brother, that sucks. I hate Seattle. My entire family lives in the surrounding area, but I still refuse to go back there on my own accord. Went back once in 2006 and a couple times between 2010-2013 for work and that place is a wreck. I couldn't imagine what it looks like now.

Hopefully, you will be able to find a few places that are open today.

R

Restart

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2019
Sorry to hear you are going through this PV. This probably doesn't help but I would try to relax, have some IPAs and Chinese food. Somethings are just not in our ability to control.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Yeah man. Sorry PV! We’ll check in on you here to keep u company. This weather is definitely nutts. This was the temp this morning here.
D038B86F-1F27-4C30-98B4-01AC2EFAF8AC.png

It was 36deg in Florida where my daughter lives. She said they freezing. Lol. Not even below freezing. Lmao.

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
Well.....

So the main purpose of my visit was to see my sister, who had flown in to SeaTac from Spain, where she lives. Both her kids live in Seattle, so it was a good excuse to make the trip. My trip was super last minute, but I was able to get a flight which arrived at SeaTac at roughly the same time as my sister.

My sister's original plan was to drive out to the Methow Valley yesterday where she lived for a number of years and spend Christmas there (there are no airports nearby). She was going to make the drive with her daughter, and her son is already out there. She has been staying in my hotel room so she wouldn't be couch surfing at her daughter's house where the daughter lives with her boyfriend. Her son lives with 8 college roommates(!), so that option was out. But the ice killed yesterday's driving plans, so they had planned to head out today.

Today the passes through the Cascade Mountains are closed due to ice and snow, leaving the only (unrealistic) option of driving down to Portland, then over to the Valley (shocker, it's raining heavily in Seattle today). So at least I will be able to spend Christmas Eve with my sister and my niece.

They hope to make the drive tomorrow, but the chances of the passes being open are iffy at best. So I may not be alone tomorrow, but I'd much rather be home.

Please forgive my excessive posting, but there's not much going on around here. Sis is currently on the phone with her husband and his family in Spain.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Nice! Yeah, hopefully not alone at least!

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
The good thing is she is waiting for Snoqualmie Pass to open, which opens pretty quickly being I-90. White, Stevens and Chinook will probably be closed for a bit. Chinook may be closed for the year. Once they close it, they rarely reopen Chinook for the rest of the season.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic