Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

I want to do Cardio after Lifting (on depeleted Glycogen)

Mike Singletary

Mike Singletary

Sep 8, 2010
I've been reading articles on lifting and gaining muscle and cardio and burning fat for years.

I've always lifted say, 4 days per week with cardio on another day.

Now, because I want to lose more fat I've gained I am going to try to burn more fat by doing cardio right after I lift.

After lifting with intensity I assume my glycogen stores will be low.

I will then do upper-moderate cardio in the upper range of my target heart rate.

Am I correct about this? Please let me know.

I'll have a protein shake (and some carbs?) immediately after the cardio is finished and then the Post work out meal 90 minutes later as usual.

Will this help burn more fat?

Spikykite

Spikykite

Feb 14, 2011
Just swallow some bcaa's after lifting and important is to stay hydrated..
get enough water in yourre system then start your cardio..
slowly with the quick carbs you wannah burn that fatt..

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I agree with spiky. Once you're carb depleted, your body will access lean mass and fat for fuel, and generally accessing both stores is done non-preferentially. The body breaks down muscle tissue to use the amino acids for fuel. By taking in BCAAs, you've got the amino acids in your bloodstream that serve as a sacrificial substrate to spare lean muscle tissue.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
I agree with spiky. Once you're carb depleted, your body will access lean mass and fat for fuel, and generally accessing both stores is done non-preferentially. The body breaks down muscle tissue to use the amino acids for fuel. By taking in BCAAs, you've got the amino acids in your bloodstream that serve as a sacrificial substrate to spare lean muscle tissue.

Bear in mind that pharm grade BCAAs take 60 minutes to present in the bloodstream. Take them mid workout so that they are available during your cardio.

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
I have always read it was best to start sipping your bcaa's right before working out and do it throughout your training. you should have also had some protein 30minutes to an hour prior to working out.

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
If you have enough fat in your diet then the body will be burning fat (if in ketosis) for energy. Just because people do keto's and they don't work for them doesn't mean that they don't work, but rather that the person isn't doing them right. When I lived on a ckd for a yr, while PL'ing and cutting, I would put Tbls of olive oil, and macadamia nut oil, as well as, other fats in my protein shakes and meals. You can both grow mass or cut this way. Just matters about caories, and timing.

Spikykite

Spikykite

Feb 14, 2011
Bear in mind that pharm grade BCAAs take 60 minutes to present in the bloodstream. Take them mid workout so that they are available during your cardio.

BCAAs in supplement form however, are free form BCAAs and require no digestion and are therefore rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, spiking blood amino acids to a much greater extent than peptide bound amino acids. Even a few grams of BCAAs will spike plasma levels of BCAAs to a much greater extent than a 30g dose of whey protein, impacting protein synthesis and protein degradation to a much greater degree. The reason a supplement has such a powerful effect on blood levels of BCAAs is that unlike other amino acids, BCAAs are not metabolized to a significant extent by the small intestine or the liver, therefore an oral supplement is more like a BCAA injection since it reaches the bloodstream so rapidly."

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
BCAAs in supplement form however, are free form BCAAs and require no digestion and are therefore rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, spiking blood amino acids to a much greater extent than peptide bound amino acids. Even a few grams of BCAAs will spike plasma levels of BCAAs to a much greater extent than a 30g dose of whey protein, impacting protein synthesis and protein degradation to a much greater degree. The reason a supplement has such a powerful effect on blood levels of BCAAs is that unlike other amino acids, BCAAs are not metabolized to a significant extent by the small intestine or the liver, therefore an oral supplement is more like a BCAA injection since it reaches the bloodstream so rapidly."

Please site your source for the above statement. My times are taken from the administration of pharmaceutical grade glutamine (the purest type of free form aminos) to burn patients documented by patient bloodwork. BTW peptide bound aminos take approximately 80 minutes to present in the bloodstream. The claim that BCAAs pass straight thru the stomach and small intestine is largely propagated by nutrition companies trying to move a product....I used to work fo one. I posted a thread called "Top 10 Post Workout Myths" that has a laundry list of references. The absorption to detection time are documented in several of the studies cited. The Article itself is a pretty novel take on nutrient timing if you're interested...what I follow, works for me. Lemme know what u think.

red rocket

red rocket

Feb 17, 2011
Here's what I do, I make up a intra workout shake. It consists of 3 scoops of bcaa's, 1 scoop waxymaize, 1 scoop creatine monohydrate. I sip on it after each working set. Then when it gets to halfway, I fill it back up and finish it throughout my workout. Then your stores arent so depleted when you start your cardio.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
You'd lose more fat if you did HIIT instead of trying to do relatively higher intensity work to bring the heart rate up. The first reason being is that walking and jogging burn a relatively similar amount of calories, the only difference being is that jogging will allow for slightly more beneficial physical adaptation and a bit more distance in a shorter time but will use more glycogen. Unless you are completely carb depleted and I mean going consistently 0 carbs every day and getting 4-6 intense workouts that would totally consume most of your glycogen, then you will not be in a low glycogen state, a diminished one sure, but your body will have more than enough glycogen to fuel its need for a higher intensity pace. Really if you want to see carb depleted look at an endurance runner that just hit the wall, they barely have energy to run at a few miles an hour let alone do any intense workout. Even if being a glycogen depleted state enhanced the rate of fat burning, it would be detrimental to every other aspect of your training.

The body also has a limit of fatty oxidation that will occur during any sort of exercise. HIIT however will create an oxygen debt for the body and raise metabolism, some studies show as much as 24+ hours at rates of 10% and up.

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
HIIT in the morning, before you eat. Work out in the afternoon/evening when your strength is the greatest. IMO, that's the best schedule.

Spikykite

Spikykite

Feb 14, 2011
Please site your source for the above statement. My times are taken from the administration of pharmaceutical grade glutamine (the purest type of free form aminos) to burn patients documented by patient bloodwork. BTW peptide bound aminos take approximately 80 minutes to present in the bloodstream. The claim that BCAAs pass straight thru the stomach and small intestine is largely propagated by nutrition companies trying to move a product....I used to work fo one. I posted a thread called "Top 10 Post Workout Myths" that has a laundry list of references. The absorption to detection time are documented in several of the studies cited. The Article itself is a pretty novel take on nutrient timing if you're interested...what I follow, works for me. Lemme know what u think.

Thats all new too me bro gonah look into it right now..
gonah let yah know wat i think (;

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic