Rolanalon
What's New?

I need advice on these workouts

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
In all my years of training, my "best" year was gaining about 5-6 pounds of lean mass. It's a slow process. But if you do that for 10 years, that's 50 pounds of lean mass. Training and growth is definitely a marathon and not a sprint.

One benefit of the slow and steady growth is that you tend to suffer fewer injuries.

Reactions: Jin
B

BigWill

Dec 30, 2018
Then I would lower the volume and up the intensity (weight).
The higher the intensity (a percentage of 1RM) the more type 2 muscle fibers will be recruited. Type 2 are the most prone to grow in size so if you want size lower your rep range between 6-10.
Concentrate on lifts that work as many muscle groups at once as you can... dead, squats, bench, rows, presses and be sure to match your nutrition to your training.
Training is the stimulus, nutrition is the substrate.
Good luck!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
You might want to try going lower reps on those sets with more weight. I'd also throw out the notion that biceps 3x a week is gonna make them grow.

Also remember: Compound lifts rule.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
WAY TO MUCH!!! You can't keep up intensity with that many lifts performed each day you train. 9 lifts on an "arm" day? That's overkill. You break down the muscle in the gym and you grow outside it.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
There is no magical split. Routine and the exercises are not as important as the effort and intensity.
I haven't followed a written routine in almost 2 years and have made the most gains in weight and PR's during that time.
I haven't counted cals / macros in over 10 years. Train hard, eat big/balanced, lots of water, sleep well.

Sul2001

Sul2001

Aug 13, 2018
You might want to try going lower reps on those sets with more weight. I'd also throw out the notion that biceps 3x a week is gonna make them grow.

Also remember: Compound lifts rule.
Should I stick with 4 sets and how many reps should I also stick with or just do progressive overload meaning I lift my max as many reps as I can then I go higher

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
Should I stick with 4 sets and how many reps should I also stick with or just do progressive overload meaning I lift my max as many reps as I can then I go higher

16 sets per body part for the day, broken up into 4 different exercises. Not going over 12 reps (except for warm up) or under 6 reps . The first set per exercise doesn't count because you are warming up. So its really 12 working sets. Without cardio I can do this in an hour or less.

None of this is set in stone but it has worked for me.

L

luckyvenkat

Feb 21, 2019
I do push my self but the problem is I feel the pump and the soreness for half a day then the next day I don’t feel anything it’s like I didn’t train but the muscle is really tight
No you do not have to be sore to be building muscle. Muscle soreness is simply a waste product being created that causes pain. Well, as your body gets used to this weight training, it becomes more efficient at preventing the buildup of this waste product. Therefore, you simply start adapting to your workout (Indianworkouts)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic