Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?
Z

Zoe

TID Lady Member
Jan 30, 2018
( I am reposting this thread from another forum just because I want a variety of opinions)
Hey guys! I am semi new-ish to bodybuilding. I've been doing it for a little over six months now. My dilemma right now is that I am confused as about whether to input cardio into my workouts??? I know that cardio is a big no-no if you are trying to build muscle, but I don't wanna be like she-hulk or anything. I have been gaining muscle, but I also feel that I have been getting fatter with it. So, basically, If I put cardio in my workouts will I just not gain muscle at all, or will I gain it slowly without getting fat with it? If I do put cardio in my workouts what kind and for how long?
I usually do 30 minutes on the treadmill, 1 min walk 1 min run, repeat. Is that bad???

I really want that athletic look, like Whitney Simmons. She is literally what I am aiming for

( I am a woman, if that matters)

I would really appreciate the advice!

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I don't think 30 minutes is really going to kill your gains but if you're worried about it maybe kill the running and just a brisk walk.
I don't know who Whitney Simmons is, but what does she do for cardio?

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Some cardio is always good for your cardiovascular system. If you are lifting and gaining muscle you are going to gain fat, too. Gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time is kind of like Bigfoot: people say it exists but no one ever seems to see it. You can kind of do it if you are a novice, anyway.

Bodybuilding generally comes in two phases: bulk, and cut. You bulk up, put on muscle and a some fat. Then you diet down and cut, trying to minimize your muscle loss and maximize fat loss.

Fat and weight is more dependent on your diet than any exercise you are doing. If you are getting too fat the answer is not more cardio, its eating less calories.

Are you tracking your macros? That might be a good place to start.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Doing 30 or 40 min 2 or 3 times per week isn't going to stop muscle growth. It takes a lot more than that plus a deficient diet.

If you don't want to do cardio just drop your cals down a bit.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Doing 30 or 40 min 2 or 3 times per week isn't going to stop muscle growth. It takes a lot more than that plus a deficient diet.

If you don't want to do cardio just drop your cals down a bit.

POB is correct, in fact cardio in the range POB suggests will improve digestion, protein synthesis and deliver more nutrients and oxygen to your muscles.

Of course you have have take in the nutrients and not run a deficit.

AKA what he said.

IronBreez

IronBreez

Aug 3, 2017
Don't worry, transforming into she-hulk won't happen that fast. I think if you start to feel you can't lift as hard as without cardio, you should ease up with cardio training. Mostly has effect on my legs and glutes workouts. If I have done some cardio before or day before I can't perform as good at the gym. But other than that I think cardio training is beneficial like people before me commented. Good luck with your training.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Nobody has mentioned it in the really good comments from above, so I will.

Ideally, you want to separate your anaerobic workouts from your aerobic workouts, i.e. do them on separate days or do cardio in the morning and resistance training at night, or vice versa.

Lots of science behind that, regarding getting the most out of both and recovering the best from both.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Hi Zoe, welcome. Definitely echo what others are saying here. You didn't mention how many times a week you do cardio.
Cardio is beneficial in many ways.
Also not sure why you mentioned the comment that you feel you are getting fatter with the gaining of muscle.
Good luck and hope you stick around!

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
great thing about cardio AFTER your weight workout is you are then burning mostly fat as you should have burned your carb stores during your weight training session. doing 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill or moderate bike ride is not going to effect your gains. make sure you have an amino drink for during the weight session and a carb/protein drink for after the cardio.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I don't think 30 minutes is really going to kill your gains but if you're worried about it maybe kill the running and just a brisk walk.
I don't know who Whitney Simmons is, but what does she do for cardio?
Neither did I but God bless da google

whitney-simmons-14921485768c4lp-700x875.jpg

Reactions: 5.0
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
great thing about cardio AFTER your weight workout is you are then burning mostly fat as you should have burned your carb stores during your weight training session. doing 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill or moderate bike ride is not going to effect your gains. make sure you have an amino drink for during the weight session and a carb/protein drink for after the cardio.

Doing cardio after weights doesn't cause your body to use fats just like fasted cardio doesn't either.

Your body uses all energy systems all the time. Just differing amounts depending on the activity.

Lifting weights will primarily use glycogen. Doing cardio - LISS specifically, will use fats primarily.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Doing cardio after weights doesn't cause your body to use fats just like fasted cardio doesn't either.

Your body uses all energy systems all the time. Just differing amounts depending on the activity.

Lifting weights will primarily use glycogen. Doing cardio - LISS specifically, will use fats primarily.
well thanks for the correction by then saying pretty much the same thing. must be nice being so fucking smart...........

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic