Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Hypothyroidism and weight loss

88fiona

88fiona

Established Member
Nov 2, 2010
I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My doctor put me on synththroid(sp). I was just wondering if there are any ladies out with this problem and how you handle it? Has the medicine made you gain weight? I have read a few reviews that it has caused weight gain. I tend to struggle with my weight. I'm not over weight a lot but problem skinny fat. I'm 5'4" and 139. I have gain 8lbs in 4 months. The weight gain is pre diaginosis.

Thanks

C

CBS

Jan 7, 2014
I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My doctor put me on synththroid(sp). I was just wondering if there are any ladies out with this problem and how you handle it? Has the medicine made you gain weight? I have read a few reviews that it has caused weight gain. I tend to struggle with my weight. I'm not over weight a lot but problem skinny fat. I'm 5'4" and 139. I have gain 8lbs in 4 months. The weight gain is pre diaginosis.

Thanks

I can state unequivocally that Synthroid will not cause you to gain weight. In fact, most people will notice a small weight loss after starting treatment, and more importantly, it should make further weight loss through diet and exercise easier.

One word of caution, though: be careful when looking for information on hypothyroidism on the internet. There is more misinformation on hypothyroidism found on blogs and websites than almost any other medical condition. If the website recommends the use of iodine supplements or says measuring basal body temperature is an accurate way to diagnose or adjust dosage, avoid it.

Best of luck

CBS

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Ask your dr. to prescribe you Armour, it has less side effects...I have included a link....

http://www.armourthyroid.com/

Using a manufactures web address is much more biased than reviewing (or posting) evidence based literature about the side effects of one TM medication versus another.

Is "bio identical" better or have a lower frequency of side effects than other non-bioidentical medications? NOT! especially considering most bio-identical meds are 2-3 times more expensive.

What about that "new" thyroid medication that contains a mixture of T-3 AND T-4? There are proponents of monotherapy with T-4 and others who believe a combination T3/T4 therapy offers addition benefit.

However with FEW exceptions the overwhelming majority of patients receive no additional benefit thru the use of combination T3/T4 therapy.

Regards
Jim

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Back to the specific question asked by OP, you will more than likely see a weight loss associated with getting your thyroid back to where it should be, granted your diet remains consistent.

Where did you read you would gain weight?

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
I have a couple friends who have been working with a recent hypothyroid diagnosis. The first challenge is to get your treatment nailed. As mentioned above- T4 tends to be the first step go-to treatment, but anecdotally it seems, as dr. jim was suggesting, that a combo T3/T4 treatment has better results than just T4 (Synthroid). This is something that you need to have two things in play to work thru: 1) a doctor who is open to trying different medications & doses; 2) patience in letting each combination work to determine if it is accurate. There are no absolute or quicky answers to this because you are working w/ medication to find the dosing that is right for YOUR body chemistry. Not always the "average person's' body chemistry.

RE: weight gain - I would start w/ yourself first instead of a general worry about thyroid medication making you gain weight. I've had friends who have had challenges w/ dropping weight / bodyfat because they were hypothyroid, and at least if they are really honest about solid and real attempts to produce a body composition change (i.e a competition prep and not "oh I tried dieting for a few days and nothing happened, so I gave up becaues I must just have bad genes"). But in your cases, your height & weight, IMO are near normal and you didn't call out any problems w/ weight before the diagnosis. But if you are "skinny fat" now and want to change that, what are you doing now? The last thing you want to do is start any body transformation w/ the idea that you're unable to do anything because you are diagnosed w/ hypothyroid issues. That doesnt' immediately mean you're a victim of your metabolism and just generally ****ed.

Can you give a history of what is your current diet & training protocol? Your body is still only going to be able to respond to the environment that you give it to operate in. (i.e. your "lifestyle") If your diet isn't already optimized or reasonably clean or you don't get regular and consistent good exercise and good sleep, that alone will produce a great outcome of "skinnyfat". Typically you can make progress w/ small tweaks to whatever is your current lifestyle. Can you list your typical day's meal plan, e.g:

Meal 1: 8 am
1 whole egg + 2 egg whites
1 piece of whole wheat toast
1 cup coffee

Meal 2: 11 am
4 oz chicken
2 c brococli

etc. - whatever it is - the point is to do a real and honest look at what you normally eat, and then put that into a food counts program like www.fitday.com (free, easy to use) to get a real and honest baseline of the breakdown of macronutrients (%, grams of fat / carb / protein), and total calories. People frequently are not able to accurately estimate how much they really consume in a given day so a reality check is extremely enlightening.

And also training / activity - how long training, typical week's training split, other activities.

And quality of recovery - how well do you typically sleep, how much do you sleep, are you frequently stressed out by work / life / family

All of this stuff, on its own can produce a 'skinny fat' result, regardless of thyroid performance.

I would start optimizing your lifestyle because this is what will promote and support and maintain a body composition change. The thyroid issue is somethign that you should continue to educate yourself on as well as continue working with your doctor if you feel that your current medication is not optimized for you. I think you should see other symptoms than just fat gain or not if your thyroid medication isn't doing the job yet - including things like mood swings. Particularly in women, the body's hormones are so tightly interdependent in producing the outcome of how well you feel and how well your overall body performs its daily activities.

N

Navya_Sharma

Jul 4, 2019
The stem cells have the ability to derive functional thyroid follicular cells. It provides benefits for the patients having hypothyroidism. The development of the therapy is done on the basis of stem cell technology. It is nowadays available to the people for the development of specialized cell types. With the starting of stem cell therapy, it is possible to do replacement therapies for those people who need treatment for hypothyroidism.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic