Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

How you prefer doing dead’s for strength

C

Captain Grumpo

Feb 8, 2019
Whatever rep range depending on har far out from the meet.

Start with 8-10s and work my weight down to singles. Weight increases each week normally 6 sets.

Just make sure to pull them deadstop and as explosive as you can so they carry over on the platform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinymk

tinymk

Feb 5, 2013
To get my dead moving and stay moving, I do quite a bit of speed work with monster mini's and alternate pulling from a deficit, off the floor and low blocks. I also hammer my posterior chain as often as possible per week: RSLD, reverse hypers & good mornings etc

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
When trying to up your max.. do you like doing heavy triples.. sets of 5.. how many sets how much you increase? Or basically what program you like?

I recognize that we are all different but I always trained exactly like I was in a meet. I did three attempts. My last single I would always try to at minimum add 5 lbs. I practiced speed using compensatory acceleration training on my lighter warm-up sets. My 1st heavy weight would always be my opener (585),2nd was my last max and 3rd would be a PR. My best was 800. So I took a huge jump from the 1st attempt to 2nd.

I never got to use the Westside stuff in my own training but when I was a strength coach I used to to train all of my athletes with it. We stayed at 100% year round. Not a bad program.

Here is an example

Warm
135 x 5 x 2 each one deadstop singles
225 x 3 deadstop singles
315 x 1
405 x 1
495 x 1
Work sets
585 x 1
735 x 1 Last weeks max
740 x 1 new PR

Accessory work - 3 sets of 5 reps arched back GM's (usually around 500 - 600 lbs) Great for lockout on sumo.

Last edited:
The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I recognize that we are all different but I always trained exactly like I was in a meet. I did three attempts. My last single I would always try to at minimum add 5 lbs. I practiced speed using compensatory acceleration training on my lighter warm-up sets. My 1st heavy weight would always be my opener (585),2nd was my last max and 3rd would be a PR. My best was 800. So I took a huge jump from the 1st attempt to 2nd.

I never got to use the Westside stuff in my own training but when I was a strength coach I used to to train all of my athletes with it. We stayed at 100% year round. Not a bad program.

Here is an example

Warm
135 x 5 x 2 each one deadstop singles
225 x 3 deadstop singles
315 x 1
405 x 1
495 x 1
Work sets
585 x 1
735 x 1 Last weeks max
740 x 1 new PR

Accessory work - 3 sets of 5 reps arched back GM's (usually around 500 - 600 lbs) Great for lockout on sumo.

This shows how we are, as you said "Different". There's no way I would attack a sticking point this way. Truthfully, it's everything I would never do.

Your PR is about 100 lbs over mine and God I hope your not in the 220's. lol So I say this with all due respect. You don't get to those numbers by not knowing your body. For me, the only thing singles made bigger was my ego, even triples were off limits until 3 weeks out.

When I first read your post I was wondering how this could work. I have been in this for a long time and an open mind is a must. The man that knows everything knows nothing. So I thought about it; any chance this has more to do with your CNS and less to do with the actual strength?

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
This shows how we are, as you said "Different". There's no way I would attack a sticking point this way. Truthfully, it's everything I would never do.

Your PR is about 100 lbs over mine and God I hope your not in the 220's. lol So I say this with all due respect. You don't get to those numbers by not knowing your body. For me, the only thing singles made bigger was my ego, even triples were off limits until 3 weeks out.

When I first read your post I was wondering how this could work. I have been in this for a long time and an open mind is a must. The man that knows everything knows nothing. So I thought about it; any chance this has more to do with your CNS and less to do with the actual strength?

Snake, I found that the sumo deadlift which I did is very highly technical. So I started really bumping my total up when I quit doing reps and started doing only singles. I also found my weak spot was the last 3/4 of the lift, locking out the weight. So the arched-back GM's done in the same ROM seemed to really help. Does this work for everyone? Maybe not. In 2001, I was ranked #1 in PLUSA in the 275's and #2 in the 308's. I pulled the 800 in the 308's later in believe in 2002. I in 2001 I pulled 765 in the 308's in Pennsylvania and a week later I dropped to 275 and pulled 775 in Houston like it was nothing on my 2nd attempt. I did not even plan on lifting at this meet.

Yes it has a whole lot to do with the CNS. The more you can get psyched up to fire off all your muscle fibers at the beginning of the deadlift, the more explosive the movement and the more force you generate. This combined with the needed strength puts up white lights. I also started only competing at meets that used the Ricky Crain's Okie deadlift bar (27mm). I even brought mine to meets that didn't have them. It is a slightly smaller diameter bar, giving it a whole lot more spring that a regular bar.

I got a lot of my training ideas from old training partners, John Inzer, Jim Cash, and Anthony Clark. Anthony was never a good deadlifter but his training ideas were very sound. John Inzer was one of the best deadlifters of all time and was very good at training the mind. Jim Cash was just a genetic freak. So it is a mix match with some of WSB stuff thrown in.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
What Bigtex and I have done to push our limits are worlds apart. Still, they both seem to work. The fundamentals are the fundamentals but there is always a different way to fry a fish. People need to take in all the information they can, apply it and see what works for them.

B

BigOiron

Feb 22, 2020
I follow a system put in place by a legendary powerlifter I was fortunate enough to get to train under for several years. I train according to the big Iron system. It's a bit different altogether than what you guys are saying but basically we would pull 4x6, then heavier at 6x4 for 2-3 weeks. Then drop the volume off. Working sets of 6x4, then 4x3, 4x2, and eventually 2x1, 1x1. Then two weeks out we will only hit openers. Week out we don't do any core moves just keep some blood pumping.

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
I do something I call the opposite of a deadlift that I picked up on one of those mutant-in-a-minute clips. You have the weight @ground level and with vertical bar constraints (typically the squat cage). You're not going to get the bar up any higher, but see how long it can be held up against it. Integrate those into your ham workouts and see how it improves your deadlift

B

BigOiron

Feb 22, 2020
Damn that's an interesting idea. I'm going to implement that, see what happens

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic