Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

How to use a lifting belt properly...?

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I rarely use a belt. I like to believe that's why my core is do strong.
Another thing to ponder. Does body fat have a part in belt use ?

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011

It does when it comes to pinching! I have bruises all over my stomach from front squats today... More reason to keep dieting down!

Love how this thread took flight though. That was my intent.

Felt great on front squats today... Almost like a spring action. I'm hooked.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I can use it on squats and front squats. Not in dl or overhead.
But using it on something I have to pick up like dl or trap bar dl I feel like it shoves my chest into my face when I reach down to grab it.

P

powerdoc

Nov 8, 2012
Yeah, I think that is what I do without thinking about it. I tend to be one notch looser in the dead. Thanks for the clarification.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
It does when it comes to pinching! I have bruises all over my stomach from front squats today... More reason to keep dieting down!

Love how this thread took flight though. That was my intent.

Felt great on front squats today... Almost like a spring action. I'm hooked.

When you front squat, make sure you're using an Oly grip. That'll also have a HUGE positive impact on it. I"m excited to start doing them again.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
When you front squat, make sure you're using an Oly grip. That'll also have a HUGE positive impact on it. I"m excited to start doing them again.

Can you suggest anything that can get me flexible enough to use that type of grip? I can't get in that position. I tried cleans a few months ago and we all had a laugh...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Can you suggest anything that can get me flexible enough to use that type of grip? I can't get in that position. I tried cleans a few months ago and we all had a laugh...

No need to clean b/c without proper coaching you'll do it wrong and that won't benefit to you at all.

You need to stretch your wrists and make them more flexible. You can do this by loading up a bar and than stretching each wrist separately. Slowly pressuring the wrist into position. You can also widen your grip, making it easier to get into position. Make sure you keep your elbows up. One thing people do which they don't have to is they try to get all their fingers around the bar when you don't need them all on it for support. Even 2 fingers plus your thumb is enough. You'll find it easier to get into position when the weight gets heavier.

You use the clean grip b/c it'll put you in a more mechanically advantageous position. It's easier for you to stay upright and keep an arch throughout the whole movement.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
A belt does a small percentage of its help by bracing the lower back.
A much larger percentage is gained from pushing your abdomen in to it, creating more stability in your core.

A lot of guys wear it too low to do much good other than just binding them up during the movements.

Try wearing it over your navel for the squat and just above for deadlift.
Wear it tight enough that you can get a full breath and be able to push your belly out in to the belt a little. Keep it a notch looser for deadlift if you pull conventional.

Velcro is for bench belts, bodybuilders, and kids...... get a lever, 1 or 2 prong belt, or one with a ratchet.... the velcro wears out and if you are loading the belt like you should it'll slip. The one exception is the Spud belts, which are badass if you like a softer belt for deadlift ( I don't, but they are still really well made)....

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
A belt does a small percentage of its help by bracing the lower back.
A much larger percentage is gained from pushing your abdomen in to it, creating more stability in your core.

A lot of guys wear it too low to do much good other than just binding them up during the movements.

Try wearing it over your navel for the squat and just above for deadlift.
Wear it tight enough that you can get a full breath and be able to push your belly out in to the belt a little. Keep it a notch looser for deadlift if you pull conventional.

Jumped into the belt world weeks ago and love it.
Took your advice and am feeling amazing in the hole pulling and squatting.

Always appreciate your insight my man.

Bigbird138

Bigbird138

Nov 21, 2014
I also rarely use any type of assistance... belt, wraps, gloves etc. I tend to be of the opinion that these things are not allowing us to grow as strong as we could without them. Are there some loads where a belt is a good idea? Of course, but I try to stay as minimal as possible. I've got lower back issues, but proper form has kept me out of any trouble this far. I'll only use a belt if I'm pulling 405 or better on deads, that's it.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Jumped into the belt world weeks ago and love it.
Took your advice and am feeling amazing in the hole pulling and squatting.

Always appreciate your insight my man.

I'm happy to hear that it helped, GA.

Bigbird, you've got that backwards. There's a lot of value to training without any sort of supportive gear, but ultimately it's connective tissue, joint health, and stability that hamper strength gain.

Look at how many geared lifters transition in to raw lifting well. Look at how many of the top raw guys also compete in gear. Even pro football guys have caught on to lifting in some gear ( thanks to guys like Donnie Thompson)...
Supportive gear lets you handle more weight more often. Sure, I train without a belt, wraps, or a suit sometimes. But, most of my heavy work is in whatever gear I need to keep safe and supported so that I can come back the next week and push again.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic