Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

How to lift while cutting

J

Joy

TID Lady Member
Nov 5, 2011
I’ve been bulking for a while with the past few months being a dirty bulk w/ no cardio. I made great gains, but now I’m super doughy and I don’t really feel good. I’m going to run a cutting cycle for a few months (my first ever). I have read a lot of information about how to cut, but I can’t really find any info on lifting while cutting. Since I won't be adding muscle should I continue with the heavy weight and low reps (6-8 range) or go lighter and higher reps (12-15)?

S

SugarFree

Feb 23, 2012
The largest difference for me when cutting is simply lowering my rest periods to 30 seconds betweens sets; that in itself brings down the weight Im lifting. But you can burn near double the calories if you can keep the rest periods restricted.

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
I pretty much train the same way regardless of if I'm bulking or cutting.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
we're all different and you may benefit from not actually changing things although you should be changing your regimen to shock the muscle anyhow...

I would agree on lowering the rest period between sets and perhaps upping your reps (12-15 every set may be too much....maybe do 12-10-8-20 once/week per body part to burn out) but you want to keep your heart rate above 120 and below 160 for max fat burn for your size.

When I've cut, I implied "active rest" to keep the heart rate up.

As an example:
Say I'm doing chest....in between sets, I'll burnout with 100 ab pull downs on the pulley (eventually get to 1k reps and I killed two birds with one stone that day).....or on shoulder days, I'll burnout calfs in between sets.....even jumprope sometimes.

Good luck with your cut.....I hate cutting

YAMAHA147

YAMAHA147

MuscleHead
Feb 23, 2012
When cutting I keep the same amount of weight, reps and rest period as I do when bulking. I just make sure my diet is as clean as possible and i do throw in cardio which i NEVER do unless cutting.

kbordner

kbordner

VIP Pops
Dec 18, 2012
I like to add more drop sets and supersets, otherwise no real difference. That high reps for cutting, lower reps for bulking is bullshit. Cutting is diet/cardio and ECA or T3 or Clen. Whatever you can tolerate. My wife does real well with Bronkaid and a few cups of coffee.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
I don't alter my training at all from cutting to bulking, only difference is the diet.

S

Sammy555

Feb 22, 2012
I reduce volume to one all out set on most stuff and make damn sure I hold strenght. I do 0 cardio as it just makes me feel like shit with the low calories and also makes me fucking hungry. I let the diet do the work and never focus on fat loss on training days, very slight surpluss training days, decent deficit non training days

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
When cutting I keep the same amount of weight, reps and rest period as I do when bulking. I just make sure my diet is as clean as possible and i do throw in cardio which i NEVER do unless cutting.

Yes sir! That's is your best bet in retaining muscle!!

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
I like to add more drop sets and supersets, otherwise no real difference. That high reps for cutting, lower reps for bulking is bullshit. Cutting is diet/cardio and ECA or T3 or Clen. Whatever you can tolerate. My wife does real well with Bronkaid and a few cups of coffee.

Yes. The higher reps is going to help burn up the muscle. That is endurance training. Just like when people say I'm doing 12-15 to get cut. Complete BS. Cuts come from the kitchen.

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010

Primatene tabs are better. Look it to that if you get a chance.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic