Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

How to get started with TRT?

C

CarlD

Oct 23, 2020
Hey guys,

I've suspected that I might have low T for a while. For many years, I've have low mood, low energy, low libido, all starting around the time I started losing my hair. Doctors only want to prescribe anti-depressants and won't even consider any other possibilities, but I don't feel sad or unhappy, and SSRI's did nothing to help. The only things that have sort of helped is high-intensity exercise (going full blast, all out gives me a feeling of being somewhat alive for a few hours), and clean eating (i definitely have more energy when I don't eat junk), both things that are said to increase T levels.
We don't have TRT clinics here in Canada, so I feel like I'm kinda on my own.

Any advice?

Last edited:
C

CarlD

Oct 23, 2020
Not yet. I've seen places that offer the service online, but I've always been apprehensive about actually doing it. I think the idea of drawing my own blood without a doctor on top of the price point has always put me into the "maybe later" camp. If I were to go ahead with it, are there any places you'd recommend?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Not yet. I've seen places that offer the service online, but I've always been apprehensive about actually doing it. I think the idea of drawing my own blood without a doctor on top of the price point has always put me into the "maybe later" camp. If I were to go ahead with it, are there any places you'd recommend?
Not going to know if you have low T unless you get tested bro.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013

The online places I'm familiar with here in the USA don't have you drawing your own blood. They offer you a menu of lab tests, you choose what you want, you pay them online, they email you a script, and they point you toward a bona fide lab that will accept their script. You only pay the online place, they keep a fee and the rest is sent to the actual lab.

None of this is paid by any insurance you might have, it's all out of pocket from you. It's also all private; none of this gets shared around as part of your medical record.

Privatemdlabs.com is the online place that is most commonly mentioned on boards like this, but they are not the only one. The 2 actual labs they send you to are Quest and LabCorp, who have many locations.

I have no idea if you can access a similar arrangement in Canada ... even here in the USA there are 5 out of 50 United States where local laws prohibit doing business. Perfectly legal in the other 45. If you are near the border you can't just hop over to a nearby USA location; ID is checked at the actual lab.

C

CarlD

Oct 23, 2020
@rawdeal
Oh I didn't know that! Hmm I might have to look into it more then. Thanks for the info

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
@rawdeal
Oh I didn't know that! Hmm I might have to look into it more then. Thanks for the info

You just joined this board today. Stick around, there is a LOT of info useful to all levels of physical fitness commitment, and only a very few are specific to where you live. Even if privatemdlabs is not for you, playing around on their website might give you an idea of how many tests can be ordered and at what prices here in the USA. Note that it is usually cheaper to order a "bundle" of common tests than to just order one specific one. Even if testosterone levels are all you're after, there are different tests that address that. Note also that Quest + LabCorp offer mostly identical tests, but Quest is usually cheaper. Whatever you get a feel for from there (may) apply to a similar place available to Canadians.

C

CarlD

Oct 23, 2020
You just joined this board today. Stick around, there is a LOT of info useful to all levels of physical fitness commitment, and only a very few are specific to where you live. Even if privatemdlabs is not for you, playing around on their website might give you an idea of how many tests can be ordered and at what prices here in the USA. Note that it is usually cheaper to order a "bundle" of common tests than to just order one specific one. Even if testosterone levels are all you're after, there are different tests that address that. Note also that Quest + LabCorp offer mostly identical tests, but Quest is usually cheaper. Whatever you get a feel for from there (may) apply to a similar place available to Canadians.

Damn, those tests aren't cheap. Alright I found some in Canada for about the same price. I'm seeing a bunch of different tests that check for different things. Is 'free testosterone' the one I want to check, or should I also check stuff like sex hormone binding globulin and free androgen index?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
FWIW, there are many things that have the same exact symptoms as low-t and also other things that can cause your natural production to be low.

No reason to go on TRT if you dont need it. TRT for gym gains is just stupid. TRT is not magic. It wont turn you into superman or give you boners like a 17 year old.

TRT is something you do for quality of life. There is no such thing as 'clean' eating by the way. If your food gets dirty, you can wash it off....then your food is clean again ;)

LIFESTYLE will have the biggest impact on how you feel.

Are you:
Over weight?
Over stressed?
Lack of sleep?
Poor nutrition?
Low in Vit D?
Low in healthy fats?

All of those can lower test and can be corrected naturally.

How is your thyroid? Low thyroid almost mimics every symptom of low t.

Going on TRT should be your last option and taken only if you need it. That is because if you feel like crap because of your lifestyle, raising your test level wont do sh!t. Just thinking you are going to jump on TRT and all of a sudden you will feel great could not be any further from the truth.

Get back in shape, get regular exercise, eat a balanced diet, get proper sleep.....and if then you still have low test, go on TRT. Otherwise it is really doing nothing for you and you dont need it.

C

CarlD

Oct 23, 2020
FWIW, there are many things that have the same exact symptoms as low-t and also other things that can cause your natural production to be low.

No reason to go on TRT if you dont need it. TRT for gym gains is just stupid. TRT is not magic. It wont turn you into superman or give you boners like a 17 year old.

TRT is something you do for quality of life. There is no such thing as 'clean' eating by the way. If your food gets dirty, you can wash it off....then your food is clean again ;)

LIFESTYLE will have the biggest impact on how you feel.

Are you:
Over weight?
Over stressed?
Lack of sleep?
Poor nutrition?
Low in Vit D?
Low in healthy fats?

All of those can lower test and can be corrected naturally.

How is your thyroid? Low thyroid almost mimics every symptom of low t.

Going on TRT should be your last option and taken only if you need it. That is because if you feel like crap because of your lifestyle, raising your test level wont do sh!t. Just thinking you are going to jump on TRT and all of a sudden you will feel great could not be any further from the truth.

Get back in shape, get regular exercise, eat a balanced diet, get proper sleep.....and if then you still have low test, go on TRT. Otherwise it is really doing nothing for you and you dont need it.

It's been 16 years. I've tried every lifestyle change I can think of. It could be thyroid, yeah, but low T matches what I'm experiencing more than either hypo or hyper thyroid.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
It's been 16 years. I've tried every lifestyle change I can think of. It could be thyroid, yeah, but low T matches what I'm experiencing more than either hypo or hyper thyroid.

You have been living like this for 16 years and never thought to seek out an endo and have this checked out?

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Did you start with a blood test?

I have a doctor that does TRT but the cost of test cypionate with my insurance is expensive. I prefer test U and he won't prescribe that. So I found it much less expensive to by it black market and treat myself. The doctor just monitors the blood work.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic