Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

How To Get Leg Drive From A Bench That Is Lower To The Ground?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Hey everyone.

So the current bench I am using is lower to the ground and I have had a REALLY hard time finding out how to get leg drive.

I widened my stance and this helped a lot, but I still am not able to get as much drive as on a competition bench. And my current setup is really painful on my knees and hips. Plus, even with this setup, I still don't get much leg drive.

Is there another way to initiate leg drive?

Thanks.

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
If you are a feet out bencher the your leg drive should be pushing you up as if you were going to slide off the top of the bench. But since your traps should be firmly planted and immovable, your drive should dig your hips deeper into the bench and enhance your arch. If you have longer legs, wider footing should help. A lower bench will probably make it feel more awkward, but it is still doable.

A lower bench would make it hard to have a feet tucked bench position. But if you choose this way, just be sure to focus on getting the "heels down" part of the lift. That doesn't actually mean that you will get your heels down--especially on a lower bench. I wont be much help there...seeing as I lack the flexibility to tuck anyway.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I say buy a thompson fat pad and have them switch it on the bench.

I use a low bench and I tuck my feet and really flex to get the leg drive. It's not nearly as good as when I have a comp bench. I can't use a feet out set up or I'll get no leg drive.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
If you are a feet out bencher the your leg drive should be pushing you up as if you were going to slide off the top of the bench. But since your traps should be firmly planted and immovable, your drive should dig your hips deeper into the bench and enhance your arch. If you have longer legs, wider footing should help. A lower bench will probably make it feel more awkward, but it is still doable.

A lower bench would make it hard to have a feet tucked bench position. But if you choose this way, just be sure to focus on getting the "heels down" part of the lift. That doesn't actually mean that you will get your heels down--especially on a lower bench. I wont be much help there...seeing as I lack the flexibility to tuck anyway.

I'm gonna try this next time. I've tried feet out in front and with this bench I just slide backwards. There is no grip on the pad. How do I correct that?

I say buy a thompson fat pad and have them switch it on the bench.

I use a low bench and I tuck my feet and really flex to get the leg drive. It's not nearly as good as when I have a comp bench. I can't use a feet out set up or I'll get no leg drive.

Porky suggested I buy the Fat Pad also, I was just hoping I could adjust my setup and not have to spend the $. I'm not sure if the gym would allow me to do that or not, but I could ask.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Joliver and BI are both 100% on point.....

As for not sliding on the bench...... bring a towel..... My team's gym isn't air conditioned. Everyone brings a towel or a t-shirt.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Joliver and BI are both 100% on point.....

As for not sliding on the bench...... bring a towel..... My team's gym isn't air conditioned. Everyone brings a towel or a t-shirt.

You can strap a wide band long ways on the bench too. We have two competition benches at my gym. One is this kinda hard polyester material that isn't as grippy. If i get stuck using that one I use the band.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic