Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

How to Deadlift (Sumo & Conventional)...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Just another tutorial I thought would be good to post up for beginners who want to get into PLing. Dave Tate goes over the proper technique for performing the sumo and conventional deadlift:

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jackster

Oct 7, 2012
Maybe im interpreting this wrong but is he saying round your upper back?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

There was no misinterpretation. He did in fact say round your upper back. You want to arch the shit out of your lower back and if you can round your upper. It'll allow your shoulders to drop down a bit and that lowers your ROM a lil but it all helps when you're pulling. You do NOT round your lower back. That will lead to an injury.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Mar 31, 2011
^^ This is a very hard concept to teach and even harder to learn and be able to consciously implement. With that said.. once you get your lower back strong enough and once your deadlifts get heavy enough you will unconsciously allow your upper back to begin rounding to some degree. Being able to consciously do this to get the max benefit out of it is a whole other story though.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

Watch some vids of sumo pullers and you'll notice there is no "shrug" involved in the pull. It becomes easier to allow that rounding when you pre-load the bar and "push" your ribcage out.

J

jackster

Oct 7, 2012
I hear what your saying and agree that when lifting sumo style its basicaly a straight lift, however ive always been taught to keep my chest up and shoulders back when lifting traditional style? I dont shrug at the top as its pointless engaging the scaptulas and traps (or so i understand) Im new but learning quick :)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If you want to see this style of pulling (conventional) watch KK. He's imho the best puller out there period. Only guy to pull 939lbs raw without a belt in the 275lbs class.

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
What's the point of sumo? Shorter ROM?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
What's the point of sumo? Shorter ROM?

Yeah Shorter ROM and I think it just makes a more efficient or effective use of the posterior chain. The weight seems to distribute more evenly and its easier to really get the speed up with leg drive.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Sumo is more legs and less back. It does shorten the ROM significantly which is always good when trying to lift more. Remember Power = Force x distance / time so if you cut the distance you can generate more power which means lift more.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
If you want to see this style of pulling (conventional) watch KK. He's imho the best puller out there period. Only guy to pull 939lbs raw without a belt in the 275lbs class.

Agreed, that man is a monster.

That style of pulling has been around for a while though. Vince Anello was awesome at this. At the top of the deadlift his pecs would be touching his lifting belt.
http://youtu.be/rQD9mHTLFCA

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
When standing up Anello's arms reach past his knees... Advantage Anello.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic