Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

How many working Chest Exercises

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
A pretty basic question I'm starting to ponder...

I always did 3 exercises, 3-8 sets for chest. Usually adding up to 12-14 working sets for chest. I built a good size chest when I was younger doing just that. However as I try to regrow what I can, and I watch Olympia Pro's workout videos I'm stuck between knowing that the videos that they post aren't their normal workouts, but nevertheless they usually do like 5 exercises, 4 sets for just chest. Obviously they're in a league way beyond what I had achieved and will ever achieve, but I'm wondering: how many exercises do you do for your chest and how many sets does it normally end up being? I go until I have nothing left and feel like I'm starting to waste my time with overkill, but I'm still curious if I should possibly be aiming for more?

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I’m usually around 12-15 working set. I’ll pick 3-4 movements usually.

rot-iron66

rot-iron66

Oct 30, 2022
I cut back on chest exercises as I get older. I'd rather have a smaller chest when I age, rather than maybe having sagging pecs.
That being said, I've always done 4 exercises, for 4 sets (16 sets). I still do, but I call it "bench day" rather than 'chest' and do:

Flat Bench
Incline Bench
Close Grip bench
JM Press

So two of those are really "bench assistance / Triceps".
When younger I would do them all for chest. Flat, Incline, D-Bell Bench, flyes, hammer-machines, etc...

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I'm 52 and holding on to size with only to 2 Main Presses. I do a shitload of warm-up/pre-exhaust work:

Superset 5 sets 15 reps Pec-Deck/Reverse Peck Deck (fly) (Last set 90lbs/50lbs)

This puts so much blood into my muscles and makes my lighter weight do more in the prime movers

5 Sets of 15reps Seated Hammer OHP (Last set 270lbs)
5 Sets of 15reps Hammer Machine Dips. (Last set 180lbs)

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I do (2) exercises, some type of stretching exercise, like pec dec or fly. I know most people worry about warming up with a fly movement, but it really works well for me, especially incline or decline. I will do (4) warm up sets. Sometimes I will push some heavy weight on the last set, but there are always reps in reserve, so it still only counts as a warm up set. For my pressing movement I will do (3-4) feeder sets then (1) working set. It will either be a rest pause, drop or widow maker set or a muscle round. For deloads I will just do a top set and maybe a back off set.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I start with flys instead of peck deck, go to flat bench with either DB or bar and finish with low cables and side flys.
Incline hurts my shoulder so freaking bad these days.

jawbreaker24

jawbreaker24

Apr 23, 2022
Mine is Incline Dumbbell press, then incline flyes , hammer strength chest press and then pec deck.

4 sets each. 8-12 reps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I do 4 to 6 working sets, usually 6, supersetted with back. Then superset machine fly chest/rear delt.

Doesn't seem like much on the sets but I just about come to failure 3 to 5 times per set drop setting. Always to failure on the last set.

I use low to moderate weight and total reps per set are 35 to 40.

Main reason, I can't push heavy any more. I'm past do on shoulder surgeries.

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
Alright so I'm in good company. I was wondering if I needed to add more and how I'd do it when my pecs are blasted after that 12-14 sets. During my rest I'm constantly contracting and squeezing more fluid into the muscles, so that doesn't help the muscle stamina but it sure does help the fullness and maybe growth. Thanks guys!

bigsquat82

bigsquat82

Dec 30, 2022
I do three for chest that are main ones and then 3 minor ones. For instance, I do incline, decline, and flat dumbbell press, and then to just finish it of at the end I do lighter weight incline, decline, and flat dumbbell butterflies. I do 3 sets of 8 for each exercise with heavier weight for the first 3 exercises and then lighter weight for the other 3 finishing exercises.

Last edited:
HardManifest

HardManifest

MuscleHead
Nov 21, 2022
I'll hit:
5-6 sets flat bench
6-7 sets incline chest press
6 sets decline bench

I tend to combine flat and incline together, then decline solo. I can stack more weight on my declines.

3-4x week

I'll add 1-2x week fly cables. It sometimes comes down to how much time I have left.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Upper pecs Tuesday. Flat and lower pecs Friday for a total of 14 sets. I might do the same movements for weeks and weeks or change up everything, every session. 59 years old, been at this since I was 11. I go by the mirror and what I see and feel needs to be trained.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic