Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

How long does it take?

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
I am just curious if my goals are attainable or not LOL. If somebody is starting from a reasonable amount of muscle mass, could they conceivably add enough mass to compete in the physique class within a year? I would think yes, but it would take dedication (which I have) and the right nutrition (also have this)...but just how much muscle mass do you think is necessary to compete at the amatuer level in physique? I am not interested in the figure side, it is a bit too froo froo for me with the lil courtsey and waves during quarter turns.

I guess, I just would like input from those who have competed and just how long it took you to go from a "good base" to competition worthy size?

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
If the person had the right genetics I would say it's a reasonable goal.

Re how much muscle is needed, why don't you visit some of the websites of the organizations and look at the pictures of the women who competed to get a gauge on what is needed?

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I think unfortunately, Senor Insanity is correct. Genetics will play a big role in that. Whats the rush though? Or do you just have the bug?

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
well...Im not getting any younger here LOL. I have looked at this years competitors.....and I think I have a good genetic base, always have had a heavier muscle mass than others my size. I have enough now that I get respect in the gym and non gym folk think I am super buff LOL :) I just want to have an idea so that I am not setting myself up for disappointment....though frankly, here at the state level the amatuers are not that impressive LOL. There was only one body builder and one novie bb'r at this years state show...which got me to thinking...with such a low turnout it would be a good chance to give it a whirl. I want more mass whether I am competing or not...so it is all good.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I think if you stayed on track for a year you would surprise yourself. You look like you already have a good muscle base.Whats the worst that could happen if you jumped on stage? I mean you would learn what you need to improve and work on for bigger and better shows.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
There is no really solid view of what Physique is at this point. It is intended to be for "jacked up figure girls" or some of the smaller FBBs. Next year will be the first time it has been available at the regional level. JMPO, the initial year at the regional level its going to be people who most likely can pass for maybe 1-2 yrs engaged figure competitors. As it evolves, I also think very quickly it is going to trend towards more mass & more conditioned to become more competitive. I think the best representative I've seen of the sport so far is Dana Linn Baily coming from the Figure side, and Tracy Bodner coming from the FBB side. Most of the rest of them have looked much more "figure" to me.

What I do think is given that it will be the first year, it is a good chance to come in w/your best package and see how it turns out. I don't think you can assume it is going to be small groups of competitors tho, even at the regional level. There tends to be very small turn out for FBB categories because it is viewed as not an easy entry level when there is figure & Bikini. It is also heavily under promoted. Physique is largely viewed as much more achievable than BB. I think you're going to see an interesting mix of women getting into it, who are ectomorph figure girls who come in too lean to place at the regional level, juiced up figure girls, juiced up bikini girls, "figure" physiques who want to do more than quarter turns and FBBs who don't have enough mass t muscle maturity to stand out are more than a regional level.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks sassy...I had hoped you would chime in as a female competitor. I saw the video for this years, and yes Dana was awesome...I would love to get even close to her level LOL. I like that physique is not as soft as the figure has gone, but yet (for now) they still retain the femininity....that is kind of why I am shooting for that. I figure I may has well keep that my goal and just see how much mass I can stack on me this fall/winter :) I may chose to not compete...but I want to train like I am :)

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Thanks sassy...I had hoped you would chime in as a female competitor. I saw the video for this years, and yes Dana was awesome...I would love to get even close to her level LOL. I like that physique is not as soft as the figure has gone, but yet (for now) they still retain the femininity....that is kind of why I am shooting for that. I figure I may has well keep that my goal and just see how much mass I can stack on me this fall/winter :) I may chose to not compete...but I want to train like I am :)
I have been told numerous times that the first time on stage is worth it, period, whether you feel you're "at that level" or not, but to get a feel for it, learn it etc...I think it would be a worthwhile venture to see how much you can add to yourself over the fall and wunter ad then just make sure your conditioning is spot on so if you come in smaller than you may want initially your conditiioning at least is admirable and you get the experience...I know me personally I'm on the very high endd of being able to do figure when initially I wanted to do bikini....I apparently add size/muscle very easily as it was never my intention to cross over to anything more serious but now its a consideration for meand conditioning is my weakness

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
good luck. i think it is great that you are thinking about it and trying for it. you will never know if you dont go and do it.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Doing a competition is an adventure in itself -truly the most satisfying day of my life, but also the biggest mindfuck of my life as you go thru the amazing process of watching specific and intentional changes actually happen, but also having to reconcile the extremes of the diet and training required, and the on-going flipflop between being confident in your progress, and then completely doubting your progress as you see the target day loom in the approaching future. It really is a study in stripping yourself down to the absolute basics of your very existence, and then trying to push thru 12-20 weeks of diet, training, cardio and your regular daily life & obligations with consistency and minimal stress ( --> cortisol), all for the chance to stand on stage for about 3 minutes in hopes of receiving a $4 trophy.

That said, the result is that I know how to manipulate my body to my goals (i.e. I'm no longer a "victim of my genetics" after a lifetime of feeling like the fat girl) which is empowering beyond words, I have learned to recognize when my moods shift (i.e. due to doubts in progress, stress, low carb day, whatever) and have learned to manage my behavior under those extremes. And in terms of being painfully shy as a child w/ perpetual stage fright, after completing my first show, there's very little I have fear of doing. I've already pranced around on stage in a bikini & fake tan in front of 500+ people I don't know. What else can you throw at me after that? Nuttin baby!

In terms of doing Physique - its a unique time in that it is honestly, pretty undefined at this point. Dana has a great physique, but to be honest, I've not seen anyone else with her physique. I also thought she was softer on stage than I would've prefered, but for that first show of the existence of Physique, it was "what they were looking for". I definitely believe as the pro level comes into existence next year and existing pros are able to switch over, you're going to see a much higher level of competition being presented in terms of size & conditioning. But as the whole category is still getting off the ground its a unique time to get onstage and basically throw out what you brought to the game and see how the judges like it. There's no point trying to get to "the look" because so far "the look" has been IMO distinctly different almost every show this past year.

My personal hope is that they take more muscle than currently displayed by national level Figure girls because it won't give enough distinction between the two classes and will put all the experienced FBBs out in the cold, and in fact, will push out anyone who has any accumulated muscle maturity after several years of training.

Definitely go for it but think big. You should be bringing sufficient muscle mass & conditioning to the stage if you want to go anywhere with it.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks all :) I really never had any desire to do it before, but after attending the MO state show I got the bug...had several of my friends suggest I could have done well at it LOL. I may do it and never step foot on a stage again, or I could decide to do it more...but at my age, just doing it once and presenting a good package would make me happy...just so I could say I had done that. I know based on my younger years, I do have the right genetics to get bigger...it's just not going to come as easy now LOL.

I have a friend who is perfect for the physique category...she was told over and over she had too much mass for figure, and this year she did bb'ing and won (though, the competition was very limited-but she brought it too LOL). For her, she competes on a regular basis, so this new category will give her a good opportunity to shine.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic