Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

How long does it take to get into Ketosis?

G

Godsmack

Sep 18, 2010
I'm on day 4 and still not in ketosis, according to the test strips. How long did it take you to get into ketosis? I'm having on average 15 carbs/day and twice I've had an Atkins snack bar. I drink about a gallon of water every day, and have one diet soda at night.
Any suggestions?

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
You counting fiberous carbs from veggies ?

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Also make sure to test 30 min after a fatty meal

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I could never get the strips to work for me. I ended up going by feel. I was in ketosis when the carb hangover was gone and I started to feel good again. That took 3-4 days the beginning of the cut, then only 1-2 days (maybe less depending on how many carbs I had eaten) if I took a day off from the diet.

I think if I had cut carbs to zero at the start, it might have taken less time to reach ketosis, but both times I did a keto diet I cut down over a week or two, and had a hard time taking them all out of my diet.

Last edited:
R

Rai080

MuscleHead
Sep 11, 2013
I'm curious about this myself. I have only been able to get into ketosis once according to the test strips. This was when I literally dropped all carbs. Fiber or not. I allowed my self a total carb found of 15 including fiber. It was very thought to stay like that, but that time I dropped fat like crazy. Do you guys include fiber and use that whole net carb crap, or is a carb a carb?

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
4 days should be enough. Something in your diet is kicking you out. It could be as simple as too large of a portion. A large portion of anything can cause an insulin spike. It could also be your whey protein. Whey can cause a spike too. Btw, you can get a false positive if you test after a protein meal.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
for me a week and i have to do extra cardio and do heavy leg days to speed it up

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
If you are goin by the Keto strips you HAVE to measure after a meal with fat... That's when the ketones will actually be released in your blood... Doing a low fat no carb Keto diet will not promote the release of ketones into the blood and therefor you will get only SLIGHT IF ANY READING ON THE STICKS!!!!

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
I'd forget the strips, it's really not a hard thing to achieve. Took me about 3 days but I had literally cut carbs down to zero. With the way your piss smells it should be pretty obvious when you're there.

flex001

flex001

May 15, 2013
If you are goin by the Keto strips you HAVE to measure after a meal with fat... That's when the ketones will actually be released in your blood... Doing a low fat no carb Keto diet will not promote the release of ketones into the blood and therefor you will get only SLIGHT IF ANY READING ON THE STICKS!!!!

Correct. If you don't have any Ketones in your bloodstream, it will not turn purple. A tip I picked up and use thanks to the late great Dan Duchaine, is a Glucose meter. If your levels read less than 50 mg/dl, you can pretty much assume that you're in Ketosis.

zeevolution

zeevolution

Sep 29, 2013
for me when I experienced it. my urine gave an awful toxic smell. that's how I knew I in, took a bout 7 days for me

Jasmine

Jasmine

TID Lady Member
Nov 29, 2013
Also a heads up, when I was trying hard to get into ketosis before - the artificial sugars in diet coke kept me from getting there. Not sure if I'm alone in having that issue, but if you've been doing good on carb counting and still not reaching ketosis.the diet.soda.may be something to cut out as well.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic