Members
Latest Member
Imsprod1
What's New?

How long between Sets

Gloves78

Gloves78

Mar 2, 2013
I've recently read that to get endurance wait about 30 secs between sets and for size wait about 2 min and for strength about 3.5 to about 4 min

Does anyone know if this is true as I want to get bigger and convert fat to muscle with out losing size I have been waiting 2 min between sets.

Any feed back would be great

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I think it is more about the weight or load that you are using that requires those respective rest periods than the rest periods themselves.

For example: if the same man used 100# for military presses, he would not get bigger resting 2 minutes instead of 30 seconds and waiting 3.5 minutes would not make him stronger.

If the same man used 100# for MP and was able to do a new set every 30 secs, it would increase his endurance. However, to get bigger he would probably need to bump it to 140# and wait 2 minutes. And for strength (lower reps), he would bump to 160# and wait 3.5 minutes.

*I'm just using these times because you listed them. They are not set in stone.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
This is helpful.

3f6f6182.jpg

Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP), an energy-bearing molecule found in all living cells. Formation of nucleic acids, transmission of nerve impulses, muscle contraction, and many other energy-consuming reactions of metabolism are made possible by the energy in ATP molecules. The energy in ATP is obtained from the breakdown of foods.
An ATP molecule is composed of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, and phosphorus atoms. There are three phosphorus atoms in the molecule. Each of these phosphorus atoms is at the center of an atomic group called a phosphate. The phosphate groups are linked to one another by chemical bonds called phosphate bonds. The energy of ATP is locked in these bonds.

The energy in ATP can be released as heat or can be used in the cell as a power source to drive various types of chemical and mechanical activities. For example, when the terminal phosphate group of the ATP molecule is removed by hydrolysis (a decomposition process that occurs when a substance reacts with water), energy in the form of heat is released and adenosine diphosphate (ADP) and inorganic phosphate (Pi) are formed.

The hydrolysis of ATP is accelerated by an enzyme called adenosine triphosphatase, or ATP-ase. The reaction can be written as:
ATP ® ADP + Pi + energy

The regeneration of ATP from ADP requires energy, which is obtained in the process of oxidation. The energy released in the oxidation of carbohydrates and fats initiates a complex series of chemical reactions that ultimately regenerate ATP molecules from ADP molecules. The complete oxidation of a typical molecule of fat results in the formation of about 150 molecules of ATP.

ATP was discovered in muscle tissue by scientists in Germany and the United States in 1929.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I rest as long as it takes.

My goal is to move the most weight for the most reps every set.

Squats and deads I need more recovery than isolation movements like calf raises or bicep curls.

IMHO there is not need to micromanage your workouts; do what works.

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
I keep it simple and go by how I feel. I would say 2 min is the average for me. On back day maybe a little longer depending on the movement. Leg days are when I rest the longest. 4-5 min on my heaviest sets. But it's not like I'm watching the clock.

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010

Squats and deads I need more recovery than isolation movements like calf raises or bicep curls.

I'm out of thanks. Thanks bro!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
First, you can't convert fat to muscle. You can burn fat and build muscle but you can't turn one into the other.

As for rest times, you'll find most of us use different times. That's all dependent on your goals. For my Big 3, I take as much time as I need when I'm near my 1RM or when I'm going for a PR. I take less time 2-3min for my big assisting lifts and I take around 1min for my smaller assisting lifts.

Gloves78

Gloves78

Mar 2, 2013
How long between reps

Thanks guys I know you don't turn fat to muscle but I want to loose fat weight and replace it with muscle weight. You know what I mean.
I have been waiting about 2 min and when ever I do full sets of a weight I up the kg's. even if I don't do full sets I up the weight too sometimes, to try an trick myself when I go back to original weight.

If that made sense

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
I go by feel but generally about 30 to 45 sec legs I rest a little longer

Gloves78

Gloves78

Mar 2, 2013
How long between reps

So I can wait less than 2 min as long as I'm back to near full strength when I do next set an not still weak from fatigue

Popeye50

Popeye50

Nov 5, 2012

Agree 100%...that's my goal too.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic