Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

How do you measure progress?

What is your main way to measure progress?

• Mirror

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Tape Measure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Body Fat Calculation

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Scales

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lift Progression

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
How do you measure progress? Some are very anal and do tape measurements, body fat calculations, etc. on a weekly basis. Others are consumed with the weight scale. While some only rely on the mirror to gauge progress. I also know some who only measure results by the progression of their weights they are moving.

Much depends on your goals, and of course, whether you are a bodybuilder, powerlifter, strongman/woman, etc. What do you use and why?

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
Like you said, it's all dependent on goals-it's silly to use a mirror to see how your strength is progressing.

If the goal is the physique, it's the mirror+scale. Bodybuilding is all about illusion. If I weight 150 but look 210, then I know I'm good.

If the goal is strength, then max attempts are used. When maxes are going up, then progress is made.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I mostly use lifting progress.... Keeps me more motivated and goals are black and white to me...Good thread idea I'm curious what the outcome of the poll will be... Prolly the mirror I'd imagine.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
the way my clothes fit :D and the daily pics. amazing how much the body will change in a 24hr period depending on diet!

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
Mirror and clothes are always a good indicator. I remember when my shirt at wrok went to a 4x for my shoulders to fit. I was excited and pissed because there is a surcharge on 4x shirts. Still felt good though.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
For my clients usually a mix of measurements/bodpod/calipers/logs and last weight. Weight doesn't mean much but body composition does. I use calipers as a general gauge of bodyfat +/- the previous week, logs to watch routines progress (if something is off in the diet you will see it in training too..eventually). The bodpod or hydrostatic tank is usually done before a cut and after a cut just for the fun of it as people are always curious as to true body fat %. The measurements are the real key, weight is only really factored in coming into the pre-contest phase as I want my guys and gals to be close enough to not go to extremes on weigh-in day.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
The mirror is my best indication but i still track BW and BF just to have something to gage it by.

Thinkbig

Thinkbig

MuscleHead
Jun 29, 2011
By how much shit people talk. You hear the most negative things, when your doing well for/by yourself.

I've learned that in Bodybuilding/Powerlifting as in all things in life, the more people talk shit, the better your probably doing.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Is it weird that I don't measure my progress at all? I used to religiously, but then I realized that if I ate right, lifted hard, and got enough sleep, the results would come and I wouldn't have to stress about the little stuff. I still pay attention to my body to determine what works for me, i.e. red meat or white meat, heavy compound or light/strict iso, etc etc. So in a way, I guess my way of measuring progress is just listening to my body, whatever the hell that means.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Is it weird that I don't measure my progress at all? I used to religiously, but then I realized that if I ate right, lifted hard, and got enough sleep, the results would come and I wouldn't have to stress about the little stuff. I still pay attention to my body to determine what works for me, i.e. red meat or white meat, heavy compound or light/strict iso, etc etc. So in a way, I guess my way of measuring progress is just listening to my body, whatever the hell that means.

If you don't atleast keep basic logs it's hard to judge what is a sticking point or how far you have came in any given time or how a change has impacted performance. People often misjudge things they do not track. No need to stress over it, just do basic logs for reference later.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011

Not weird. I've always kept a lift log but I went about 12 months not long ago without any physical measurements. The only thing I measured was the amount of fun I had in the gym. I always hit my goal in that one. I think sometimes it is good just to stop micro-analyzing everything and just enjoy the process.

Reactions: SAD
MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Weights and plates. Bigger numbers on the lifts, faster times on the events.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic