Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

How Do I Avoid Severe Cramping

S

Sean Larabee

Jan 10, 2018
Hello all,

Starting to get back into shape. Eating well (200 grams of protein, low carbs daily) and hitting the gym every day. Everything was going great and then I overworked my calves and bam! I could hardly walk for 2 days. The cramping in my calves 24 hours after a workout was the worst I ever experienced.

That really screwed up my workout schedule, because I could not lift, could not do cardio, all I could do was eat right and wait for my calves to loosen back up.

I am sure we have all been there before.

The thing is I do not know why. I did not work my calves any harder than any other part of my legs during that workout. in fact I think I worked my quads even harder than my calves. My quad burned like hell during that session. So there was no sign during the workout that my calves were being over worked.

Does anyone have any tips, that may help me avoid overworking a muscle like that again in the future. The pain does not bother me near as much as being thrown off my schedule and being down for two days.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Water intake, potassium levels are the first things that come to mind.

S

Sean Larabee

Jan 10, 2018
LK,

I've been eating bananas for potassium. Maybe not enough. Also that session I remember that I forgot my water bottle, so I just pushed through and hydrated after. Maybe that was the biggest mistake. Will not do that again.

Thanks for the tip. More water, more bananas.

Sean

Water intake, potassium levels are the first things that come to mind.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You said you overdid it on the calves. I would suggest not doing that going forward.

Best think you can do with a sore muscle is to use it a little. Even if it's just sit in a chair lift the foot off the ground and start rotating your ankle.

S

Sean Larabee

Jan 10, 2018
You said you overdid it on the calves. I would suggest not doing that going forward.

Best think you can do with a sore muscle is to use it a little. Even if it's just sit in a chair lift the foot off the ground and start rotating your ankle.

Thanks for the reply. I've been forcing myself up and about. Been stretching them out, massaging them down and away from the heart. This morning was better than the previous. Should be almost normal again by tomorrow.

Someone local to me told me to use magnesium supp along with potassium, is that something that is recommended by most lifters?

chestrockwell420

chestrockwell420

MuscleHead
Oct 9, 2012
i get severe cramps when i take clen. i use potassium, taurine, and keep the water intake high. works from me.

D

devst8r

Oct 13, 2017
agreed. sounds like you need more water

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic