Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

How Bad is splenda?

arnold

arnold

Sep 9, 2010
How bad is splenda? Say I throw a couple packs of splenda on my oatmeal? I mean I know it's supposed to have toxins in it and maybe even bew chlorinated.. But I mean for weight loss.. Like is it fattening? say.. 4 little packs of splenda in my oatmeal..?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
the way i look at it is that most things are bad for you anymore. seems like everything is leading to cancer or killing you so what the hell. i use splenda every morning in my oatmeal, about 1 tablespoon. i use it when i cook, which isnt very often. i suppose if you were eating it by the cupful than one might have something to be concerned about but hell, if you are eating regular sugar by the cupful than you would probably have something to be concerned about as well. anyway, everything is killing you so im sure a few packs of splenda a day arent going to speed it up any. :D

Lil Ed

Lil Ed

VIP Member
Jul 15, 2011
Prevent Disease.com - Research Shows Splenda And Sucralose Have Extremely Harmful Effects on Humans

in the animals studied, Splenda reduces the amount of good bacteria in the intestines by 50%, increases the pH level in the intestines, contributes to increases in body weight and affects the P-glycoprotein (P-gp) in the body in such a way that crucial health-related drugs could be rejected. Turner noted that the P-gp effect "could result in crucial medications used in chemotherapy for cancer patients, AIDS treatment and drugs for heart conditions being shunted back into the intestines rather than being absorbed by the body as intended.

You have another thread here on having stomach issues don't you?

Healing with probiotics

^^^ hope this helps

MadMick

MadMick

May 12, 2011
I use it in my oatmeal and coffee everyday

Billthebutcher

Billthebutcher

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2011
i use it as well.... post the negatives of real sugar has to be worse....

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
I split my sweetener intake between Equal, Splenda and Stevia so that I'm not taking a lot of anything. I figure that what ATW says is true....so I try to keep everything in moderation.

danrojigga

danrojigga

Rottens Pimp
May 24, 2011
I feel that sweetener is safe id rather satisfy my sweet tooth with low to no calories rather than sugar. Personally i dont worry about it. I use it in oatmeal and i drink a can of coke cherry zero almost daily. Good post though.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I like splenda and try to limit it's use. Agave is another option.While not sugarless I think it is lower on the GI scale.

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
not of fan of splenda at all!!!!!!!!!!!! to much absorbtion issues. I do use aspartame with min sides.

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
I will say that splenda does make me retain water so if I'm trying to dry out.....it goes away. It also has maltodextrin in it so it's not zero on the glycemic chart.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Prevent Disease.com - Research Shows Splenda And Sucralose Have Extremely Harmful Effects on Humans

in the animals studied, Splenda reduces the amount of good bacteria in the intestines by 50%, increases the pH level in the intestines, contributes to increases in body weight and affects the P-glycoprotein (P-gp) in the body in such a way that crucial health-related drugs could be rejected. Turner noted that the P-gp effect "could result in crucial medications used in chemotherapy for cancer patients, AIDS treatment and drugs for heart conditions being shunted back into the intestines rather than being absorbed by the body as intended.

You have another thread here on having stomach issues don't you?

Healing with probiotics

^^^ hope this helps

Not busting your balls her Ed, but the title of the research article says "harmful effects on humans", and the first line of the study says "in the animals studied..." were any of the animals humans??

Lil Ed

Lil Ed

VIP Member
Jul 15, 2011
Not busting your balls her Ed, but the title of the research article says "harmful effects on humans", and the first line of the study says "in the animals studied..." were any of the animals humans??

I know I noticed that as well, but most of us are more like animals than humans anyways. LOL

I don't think they are able to do a study on humans looking for health risks or health diminishing effects very easily. they open themselves up to a bunch of legal problems if they even admitted that they study on humans. that's were our community comes in LOL.

"the results make clear the potential for disturbing side effects from the ingestion of Splenda. It is like putting a pesticide in your body. And this is at levels of intake erroneously approved by the Food and Drug Administration. A person eating two slices of cake and drinking two cups of coffee containing Splenda would ingest enough sucralose to affect the P-glycoprotein, while consuming just seven little Splenda packages reduces good bacteria." Although the effect of consuming Splenda does not result from a one time use, the side effects do occur after accumulated use. Turner also noted unmistakable evidence that Splenda is absorbed by fat, contrary to the claims of Johnson & Johnson."

Is it going to kill you overtime? probably Not.
Is it beneficial to your health, diet, and the intestinal tract? Obviously Not.

Medscape: Medscape Access

Kristofer S. Gravenstein. Use of Artificial Sweeteners Linked to 2-Fold Increase in Diabetes. ENDO 2009: The Annual Meeting of the Endocrine Society: Abstract P2-478. Presented June 11, 2009.
In a cross-section study, results showed an inverse association between obesity and diabetes, on one side, and daily total caloric, carbohydrate, and fat intake, on the other side, when comparing artificial sweetener users and control subjects.

Artificial sweetners have been shown to activate sweet taste receptors in enteroendocrine cells, leading to the release of incretin, which is known to contribute to glucose absorption. Thus, people who use artificial sweeteners are heavier, more likely to have diabetes, and more likely to be insulin-resistant compared with nonusers.

Another sweetener option

Luo Han Guo
Complete Luo Han Guo information from Drugs.com

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic