Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Hosting our first meet...any suggestions?

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
So, the gym I help manage has booked a powerlifting meet for May. It's the first meet there in a few years and the first under new ownership, name and direction. My buddy, decided to stop trying to compete with the big franchise gyms and go after the athletes and hardcore. So, even with a limited budget we have pushed in that direction adding racks and strength equipment and losing the sissy stuff. It working...not over night but a steady climb up.

To this we wanted to add classes and clinics as well. And now I have booked us a small meet in May. The goal is to make it lifter and spectator friendly. Something hard to do at small meets. I figure why not have fun and informal for local a new lifters as well as some vets. Rich McDowell will be bringing the SLP fed and is on board with making it a good time. I figure if you want to break some record or are some big time pro there are plenty of meets for you, but for the sport to grow we need these as well as RUM.

To that end I am sitting down with a caterer who does the local sports teams (I am his handyman) to put up a tent and grill some grass fed burgers and kosher franks on meet day as well as getting an affordable photographer to take picks. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hawk

Bamazav

Bamazav

Oct 27, 2012
Good ventilation. I did a small meet earlier this year. It was well run, but the venue was small and tight once they moved equipment and brought in chairs. They didn't adequately prepare for the number of spectators and did not have enough room. To make matters worse, it was the warmest day of the month and they had no AC or way to create cross ventilation. Add in the Platform lighting and it was near 90 degrees in the room. I like it warm, but this was a bit much. Still a good meet overall, just inconvenient for family and friends, they went to watch not work up a sweat.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Good ventilation. I did a small meet earlier this year. It was well run, but the venue was small and tight once they moved equipment and brought in chairs. They didn't adequately prepare for the number of spectators and did not have enough room. To make matters worse, it was the warmest day of the month and they had no AC or way to create cross ventilation. Add in the Platform lighting and it was near 90 degrees in the room. I like it warm, but this was a bit much. Still a good meet overall, just inconvenient for family and friends, they went to watch not work up a sweat.

Thanks man, I have been there before too! I will look into setting up/renting some fans. It is our old aerobics room so we only have a double door, but we have an emergency exit we can open. I will also crank the A/C a bit. Appreciate the reply.

Hawk

3084life

Mar 29, 2023
Make registration, attempts, order, bar loading and results easy, use lifting cast. You can use it locally for free or if you want advanced registration and remote viewing of the comp its like $.50 per lifter.
Oh and music!

I just realized this was a old ass thread. How'd the meet go?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Make registration, attempts, order, bar loading and results easy, use lifting cast. You can use it locally for free or if you want advanced registration and remote viewing of the comp its like $.50 per lifter.
Oh and music!

I just realized this was a old ass thread. How'd the meet go?
Seeing as he hasn't been here since 2018, I wouldn't expect a reply lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic