Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Homemade Beef Jerky

Billthebutcher

Billthebutcher

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2011
Ok cutting down carbs so I thought I would try to make some jerky to have around for snacks. I thought this would be hard but its not that bad. I got a whole eye of round (you can use any beef) semi froze it and cut it as small as I could. Trimmed ALL fat possible off. Made a marinade of low sodium soy, garlic, onion powder, spenda, crush red peppers, black pepper, and a bit rice vinegar and liquid smoke. Left in in fridge one night. Next day put it on a raise rack put in oven at 225 degrees for 4 hours and let sit for a bit after. Remember to keep oven cracked open. If they need to be dried more leave them in a bit longer. I have also made a cumin garlic liquid smoke tex mex version. MONEY IN THE BANK....

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Saw this post and it reminded me of how much I like jerky. Been a while since I made any.....I need to catch a good sale on london broil. (Round steak that is in a slab about 1.5" thick so it makes good jerky)

The one thing I will say is a dehydrator makes better jerky. Even better if you remove the heat element. (which I did to mine). It takes a little longer to cure the meat. (Usually overnight). But the taste and texture are better. At 225deg in an oven you are cooking it.

I just took an old dehydrator and cut the wire to the heating element so it just blows air around it. Summertime in a hot garage is perfect jerky making weather. Dont want to leave it inside, as it will smell up everything!

When calculating for macros, I use a ratio of .32 (1oz raw = .32oz cured). I settled on this number after testing out like 4 batches. This makes it easy to store and just weigh out what you need.

Billthebutcher

Billthebutcher

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2011
I am with you about 225 being high but the fact that you leave the oven open makes it so the heat is a bit less. I did larger pieces and it could have dried longer but it was just right for carrying around.

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
I love jerky. Pretty straightforward process too. Thanks!

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
I'm working a carb free diet myself and beef jerky is a quick and easy way to meet protein requirements. Sounds like you have good recipe Bill.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Leaving the door open makes the heat more constant. The burner never shuts off. More efficient and even drying that way.

Hips makes me jerky a few times a year with flank steak in a soy type marinade. She uses and electric counter top dehydrator though.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I use a dehydrator but it all gets eaten really quick. I make some every few weeks, when I remember. The awesome thing is you can use so many different marinades for it.

danrojigga

danrojigga

Rottens Pimp
May 24, 2011
If you have a smoker and the time I like to smoke my jerky for added flavor. I generally use a fruit wood like apple or pear for a sweeter smoke. Good stuff though especially if you hunt deer.

G

gettinbigga

Sep 29, 2011
Ok cutting down carbs so I thought I would try to make some jerky to have around for snacks. I thought this would be hard but its not that bad. I got a whole eye of round (you can use any beef) semi froze it and cut it as small as I could. Trimmed ALL fat possible off. Made a marinade of low sodium soy, garlic, onion powder, spenda, crush red peppers, black pepper, and a bit rice vinegar and liquid smoke. Left in in fridge one night. Next day put it on a raise rack put in oven at 225 degrees for 4 hours and let sit for a bit after. Remember to keep oven cracked open. If they need to be dried more leave them in a bit longer. I have also made a cumin garlic liquid smoke tex mex version. MONEY IN THE BANK....

This is the same way i do it except i use a smoker, same type of meat and cutting it almost frozen makes it so much easier to cut into thin slices and one of my recipe is almost the same and it comes out pretty darn good

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
NuWave Oven Recipe
Serving size: 1 pound yield

Ingredients:
1 pound of beef (any kind) I use brisket and cut while frozen
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup of Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1-1/4teaspoon of garlic powder
1-1/4 teaspoons of onion powder
2-1/4 teaspoons of ground pepper
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)

Directions:
Place all the above ingredients into a large freezer bag or large bowl. Let marinate for 4-8 hours in refrigerator.Place pieces of meat on liner pan and 4 inch rack (when using 2 inch rack you can use 3 different levels). Tent the dome during drying out process. Do not let meat touch it will slow down the dehydrating. Dehydrate on power level 2-3 for about 3 hours. (2 hours and 30 minutes if 1/4 inch thick). Pat excess moisture with paper towel, cool, and store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic