Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Hobbies and Such...

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I almost lost all of my boom sticks in this divorce nastiness. I've been building on this collection since I was 16 years old. Finally got approval on my first suppressor last fall and I haven't even got to shoot it yet. Have it on a PSA AK-V in 9mm.
Divorce is the devil! I lost everything except what was locked up in my gun safe & I got most of my home gym. That’s no joke.

P

Pen Sillman

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
I’m with you on guns/shooting BUT you won’t catch me jumping out of a plane! I don’t do heights at all. I do a little hunting but nowhere near as much as when I was younger. I recently bought the equipment to start predator hunting, I’m going to try getting back into it more. The gym & guns are about it for me anymore. I’ve got a pretty decent collection of knives too but I’ve backed off on buying them.
I hate heights too but did a tandem jump and didn't freak me out at all. Felt more like I was jumping into a swimming pool... Lol.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Do you do MMA training? I've been trying my hand at Jiu Jitsu, but I seem to be at a disadvantage with my long limbs. Too much of a lever arm. I'm strong AF, so I can hold people down, but I don't know where to go from there, so I usually end up getting exhausted and give up! LOL

Trying to get a motorcycle and a 69-72 Stingray this summer. I'm post divorce and in the midst of my 2/5-life-crisis.

Not really, I do all the stuff that one might train to do MMA but rarely do MMA sparring. I have not fought in about 5years and am too old. I like doing BJJ, boxing, wrestling by themselves, same with my one true martial love and that is Muay Thai. I could train MT all day.
Do not get discouraged. I have short arms and legs for my height. I get caught in triangles by guys with long limbs. When you learn to use your length it will be an asset, coupled with strength...wow.

Focus on technique over muscle. If your technique is bad but you pull off a sweep or such with muscle, when you face a strong guy or a guy that is good you will be stagnant. LEARN TECHNIQUE! Do not just hold a guy down, go for passes into mount and transitions back to side control and back again. Let them put you in the guard and get good at breaking and passing even if you get tapped or swept. Goo for simple subs like kimuras on top. As you learn more subs go for them too. Also work on taking the back from the bottom. (this is my fav move ever!) Strong guys break posture of the opponent, reach across a guy's back and grab the guys the lat or gi with the over hand and pull the torso out while getting one's hips out (once hips are out and you are on the side, push the top of your hand under the arm pit, deeper is better, if you can touch the front of the shoulder you got it.) and just muscle the back take once your head past the free arm which will undoubtedly grab your head. Work your hooks in and go for RNC. Like I said, strong long limbed guys have a great advantage at throwing up triangles too. Also let a guy reverse you and work from the bottom with the techniques you know. Do not worry about being tapped, focus on learning from every position and soon you will find you ain't getting tapped very easy. Like I said, strong long limbed guys have a great advantage at throwing up triangles. With strength you can pull the head to finish. The more you do this the more you will get better even if you are getting tapped every time. That is banking experience. Once I checked my ego at the door and stopped using gorilla smash technique and worked on finesse loosing 90% of my rolling sessions I finally got my blue belt. Lastly ask questions to high ranked guys if they tap you. Lots of them (the good ones,) will show you the counter or an escape.

Bro I could go on for hours.

What bike you looking at? Cruiser? Fast boi? scrambler, retro ect?

Great years on the vette too. Sorry about the divorce. I cannot imagine.

Skydiving? Hell no! You guys are nuts!

Dungeons & dragons. Man I have not thought about that since the early 80s. I played some but never did it right. GF, i would love to see some dude come in and call you a dork while playing. That would be HILARIOUS!

GF: "Oh, you think I am a dorky nerd for playing DnD? Well how about I introduce you to my +3 fist of face breaking!"

ncsports

ncsports

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2023
These days hobbies are soccer (been coaching for the last 14 yrs, still playing (O40+O50). Tonight is my 1st game back since my knee surgery.

Camping - we got a seasonal site last season due to my knee and we loved it so plan to stay there. It is nice to just show up and be camping vs set up and take down.

My wife has an 883 Iron and I have a Street Glide so we get out when we can now that the weather is better here in WNY.

We both work a ton so that stuff pretty much fills up our free time.

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
Jiu jitsu 4 days a week along with training 4 days a week. At 50yrs old it keeps me in EXCELLENT shape. Still enjoy building race cars which currently is slow going lol.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
As nerdy as it sounds, I enjoy gardening and yardwork in reasonable doses. Don't want to spend sun-up to sun-down on a Saturday in the yard, but a solid 4 hours is satisfying.

My wife got me a smoker last Chirstmas, and I'm still learning to hone my skills. I can make some killer salmon!

I'm looking into doing some distilling. I've done all my research, and it looks like a lot of fun, and gives me an outlet for my inner chemistry nerd. Just need to make adequate room for a decent set-up, particularly for controlled water flow in and out for the condenser. So making my own whiskey might be this next year's thing.

HOB_Fly2023

HOB_Fly2023

Apr 27, 2023
As nerdy as it sounds, I enjoy gardening and yardwork in reasonable doses. Don't want to spend sun-up to sun-down on a Saturday in the yard, but a solid 4 hours is satisfying.

My wife got me a smoker last Chirstmas, and I'm still learning to hone my skills. I can make some killer salmon!

I'm looking into doing some distilling. I've done all my research, and it looks like a lot of fun, and gives me an outlet for my inner chemistry nerd. Just need to make adequate room for a decent set-up, particularly for controlled water flow in and out for the condenser. So making my own whiskey might be this next year's thing.
I enjoy the catharsis of yardwork. It's like watching those pressure washer videos where they slowly clean a dirty old concrete driveway and you watch a clean concrete slab come out at the end.

My dad distills his own moonshine and has gotten really good at it. He made a banana version last year that was incredible. I don't even drink and I thoroughly enjoyed it. He has one of those big, hammered copper stills that sits on the stovetop. Makes it a pretty simple process.

HOB_Fly2023

HOB_Fly2023

Apr 27, 2023
Wind therapy. I love to ride motorcycles. Otherwise, guitar, golf and sports.

Better then Jack Daniels and cocaine my previous hobby…
Do you play electric or acoustic? I love my classical/nylon string. Try to play it every day. I would love to get another electric. Looking at a Gretsch. I've always loved them for looks alone.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Do you play electric or acoustic? I love my classical/nylon string. Try to play it every day. I would love to get another electric. Looking at a Gretsch. I've always loved them for looks alone.
Both

I have a Martian D16RGT a telecaster and strat…

Gretch is a cool guitar but never played one.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Both

I have a Martian D16RGT a telecaster and strat…

Gretch is a cool guitar but never played one.

I do not play but, I had an original Les Paul custom for a couple years. A guy was staying with me and it was his. He went to jail. I hung onto it, was tempted to sell it but when he got out I gave it back even though he owed me a lot of $$$ and he owed me. He paid me back with interest as it was his dad's and very sentimental to him.
I know Gretsch because of my Rockabilly phase.

HOB, I too like yardwork. it is one of the few times my mind settles down and I am zen.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic