Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

hip replaced

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
had my left hip replaced wend at 7:30am and was discharged thurs at 3pm. definitely a nite and day difference from when I had my rt hip replaced 4 yrs ago. 1st surgery took 6 hrs vs 2 hrs this round. 1st one I spent 5 days in the hospital and another 2 weeks in a rehab facility. this one home the next day!
1st doc said I had so much muscle mass it was near impossible to move the femor and hip into position to complete the repair. in doing so he damaged the main nerve running down my leg and I could not move it for over 3 months. had to wear an imobilizor and the pain from all the damage he did kept me on pain meds for at least 2 months. the incision he made was 9" long. the only pain this time is just the stiffness from sitting or lying down for to long. incision is only 4" long. 2nd doc did say it was difficult moving shit around but apparently he takes a different approach and does not cut any tendons and the only muscle cut was to release the part of bone taken out. 2nd doc used a bandage that has silver in it know for keeping infection at bay, only needs to be changed every 7 days, and seals the site so i can take showers day 1. last time I didn't get a shower for 10 days. so I was so worried id have to go through the same recovery as the first time but looks like ill be back in the gym in no time.
any questions about this type of surgery feel free to ask.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Glad to hear this one was much smoother! A friend at work just had his done and was back to work (machinist) within a month with no pain. Here's to a speedy full recovery Searay!!!

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Sounds like your first doc was a hack, glad the second one worked out better.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
@CFM has had both hips and knees replaced....So please be gentle when using him

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Sounds like your first doc was a hack, glad the second one worked out better.

ya, seems that way. my primary care doc sent me to him as they were both associated with the same hospital. primary had always sent me in the right direction but not that time. 1st doc had been hired by the hospital to be there primary replacement doc but after 2 yrs and not enough referrals he moved to the west coast. I don't think he was experienced enough and ran into something over his head. big difference replacing a 70yr old's hip with little muscle vs my oversized ass. I actually felt bad for the guy cause I could tell he was really upset about my leg not moving. I do give it to the guy for sticking with it with an eventual result that was excellent, I mean it took him 6hrs to complete so no doubt he didn't just say "fuck it" and throw it together. the only real problem was not being able to move my leg for so long. the doc I have now told me that from what he can see on the x-rays that the end result is very good. lesson learned about doing your research on the doc.

ogre

ogre

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2016
Just curious.What caused the need for the hip replacements?

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
Glad ur doing well bro

Had my left done 3x

Two times by military
Last was finally a total cut and replace
By the great “Dr Andrews”
He did Bo Jackson and a lot others

I did lose over 3lbs of meat thou
And they had a hard time also but I also had Scharpel metal and lead tear my left leg n hip up

I haven’t had the mass in my legs since 08

Best to ya

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Glad ur doing well bro

Had my left done 3x

Two times by military
Last was finally a total cut and replace
By the great “Dr Andrews”
He did Bo Jackson and a lot others

I did lose over 3lbs of meat thou
And they had a hard time also but I also had Scharpel metal and lead tear my left leg n hip up

I haven’t had the mass in my legs since 08

Best to ya

damn, must have been glad to get that over with. I watched a couple of surgeries on youtube and really cant figure out why there would be such an issue with moving the femur into position when there didn't seem to be much movement needed. maybe an inch at most to hammer and drill the piece into the femur.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic