Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Hip Joints and Pain

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
Right along the side of the hip. Never thought to press on it upon waking so I will have to do that tomorrow. No knee valgus, my legs are straight.

From the things you're saying, I'm definitely thinking either trochanter bursitis, glute medius inflammation or both.

Either way, both likely stem from improper utilization of he gluteus medius, which causes chronic TFL overuse, and following problems like above mentioned.

Easy explanation: Glute med doesn't work, IT band and TFL(connected to it band) over works big time, and gets very tight. In turn, irritates bursa(look pic below)

http://treesflowersbirds.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/it-band-and-trochanteric-bursa2.jpg

Gluteus medius strengthening and activation will likely benefit you. Exercises like the clam shell etc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X5MDSv4gIGM

I recommend that you look up a physio or equivalent that can make a proper assessment.

Last edited:
D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
From the things you're saying, I'm definitely thinking either trochanter bursitis, glute medius inflammation or both.

Either way, both likely stem from improper utilization of he gluteus medius, which causes chronic TFL overuse, and following problems like above mentioned.

Easy explanation: Glute med doesn't work, IT band and TFL(connected to it band) over works big time, and gets very tight. In turn, irritates bursa(look pic below)

http://treesflowersbirds.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/it-band-and-trochanteric-bursa2.jpg

Gluteus medius strengthening and activation will likely benefit you. Exercises like the clam shell etc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X5MDSv4gIGM

I recommend that you look up a physio or equivalent that can make a proper assessment.

Kjetil, thanks for taking the time to help discern what my issue may be. I have found several exercises that I can start using to help strengthen my glute medius. I do know I sit a lot for my job and that affects the glutes and hip flexors quite a bit so I apparently really need to focus on this area.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
Kjetil, thanks for taking the time to help discern what my issue may be. I have found several exercises that I can start using to help strengthen my glute medius. I do know I sit a lot for my job and that affects the glutes and hip flexors quite a bit so I apparently really need to focus on this area.

You're welcome. Sitting a lot is a common "disease", and mobility and accessory work will be necessary.

Regarding your issue; sounds like glute medius to me. Make sure you stretch it band and TFL too (symptom relief). Getting plenty of healthy omega 3 fats may also help with the inflammation in a natural and beneficial way.

Also make sure your psoas major is working properly. Shouldn't be tight nor loose. Make sure your gluteus Maximus works optimally aswell. If it's not, you'll get several hip problems from your strength training.

Last edited:
Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Maybe look into getting some briefs...
i see a lot of folks from the forums using inzer power pants a couple sizes big to prevent or help heal there hips and groins... There like 35.00 so it's atleast worth investigating for yourself...

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
Maybe look into getting some briefs...
i see a lot of folks from the forums using inzer power pants a couple sizes big to prevent or help heal there hips and groins... There like 35.00 so it's atleast worth investigating for yourself...

I will certainly keep this in mind. Thanks, G.

rezjzzor084

rezjzzor084

MuscleHead
Dec 17, 2013
you should visit a doctor and ask for advice - or you can ask 2 or 3 different ones -
you say after swimming you feel better - you say that you are new to dead lifting and squats
and that you have the pain now and that you are a little bit limited in your movements crossing the legs etc.

german tennis icon Boris Becker had a surgery this year - already during his early career he had to fight with
pains in his hips. but he continued. if it is a "good" pain which you can love and which should motivate you
to continue then it's ok - but if it's like a very high blood pressure which every doctor might take as a disclosure
of very heavy lifting in a gym like you do then you should be very careful with this risk - yes and then you
can watch that video with Kali Muscle - lol - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggy96g439dY

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Daniel:

I had some serious hip pain and numbness down the side of my legs that developed over a few years. I thought I might have a herniated disc and degenerative arthritis. When I saw my chiropractor, he diagnosed it as tightness in the tendon and joint and prescribed stretching and strengthening which has helped a lot. So has mobility work. IDK if yours is the same, but if you do stretching, strengthening and mobility work and it goes away, it is a good bet that it is similar to what I had.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
you should visit a doctor and ask for advice - or you can ask 2 or 3 different ones -
you say after swimming you feel better - you say that you are new to dead lifting and squats
and that you have the pain now and that you are a little bit limited in your movements crossing the legs etc.

german tennis icon Boris Becker had a surgery this year - already during his early career he had to fight with
pains in his hips. but he continued. if it is a "good" pain which you can love and which should motivate you
to continue then it's ok - but if it's like a very high blood pressure which every doctor might take as a disclosure
of very heavy lifting in a gym like you do then you should be very careful with this risk - yes and then you
can watch that video with Kali Muscle - lol - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggy96g439dY

Daniel:

I had some serious hip pain and numbness down the side of my legs that developed over a few years. I thought I might have a herniated disc and degenerative arthritis. When I saw my chiropractor, he diagnosed it as tightness in the tendon and joint and prescribed stretching and strengthening which has helped a lot. So has mobility work. IDK if yours is the same, but if you do stretching, strengthening and mobility work and it goes away, it is a good bet that it is similar to what I had.

Thanks for the information, guys. I have started stretching and using a band to perform a side lying hip abduction. Can definitely feel it in my hips when performed.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic