Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Hip Joints and Pain

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
I have recently started to notice hip pain. Seems most acute when I wake up in the morning after sleeping on my sides. I really do not want it to develop into a serious issue so I am trying to explore it now. I am new to dead lifting and squats and I believe my form is sufficient to prevent injury, although I am sure it could be better. My mattress is memory foam so I was surprised when I started waking up with the hip pain. I believe the issue is related to the new stresses I am putting onto my hips with regard to the deads and squats. My hips are not very flexible, I have not been able to sit cross legged since elementary school. My legs will not flatten out when sitting that way and I also encounter pain when I try to sit that way. So as to my request, I am looking to find exercises and other actions I can take to bring my hips back to health. I have tried researching on the net for information but I am not being very successful; I guess my googlefu is not quite up to where it needs to be to find answers. Any assistance in this regard is much appreciated. If I have not provided enough information please ask and I will answer. Thanks.

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
I don't do a tremendous about of stretching, but I do occasionally get hip pain when I squat. It helps me to wear groove briefs. I picked mine up from inzer. They are a cheap, hip saving solution.

A few lifters in my gym have managed to fix similar problems with abductor and adductor work.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
I don't do a tremendous about of stretching, but I do occasionally get hip pain when I squat. It helps me to wear groove briefs. I picked mine up from inzer. They are a cheap, hip saving solution.

A few lifters in my gym have managed to fix similar problems with abductor and adductor work.

Thanks. I will research abductor and adductor work.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I'd start doing hip mobility work daily, or before squat and dead sessions at a minimum. Look up Joe DeFranco's Agile 8 or Limber 11 on youtube for a good starting point.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Mobility work, stretching, and addressing weaknesses. That'll fix it.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the input guys Now that I have a direction to go I will put together a program to focus on strengthening as well as stretching and mobility work.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
Exactly where is the pain? Is it deep or superficial? I suspect bursitis, since it's worse after lying in bed. You sleep on your sides, or back/stomach?

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
Exactly where is the pain? Is it deep or superficial? I suspect bursitis, since it's worse after lying in bed. You sleep on your sides, or back/stomach?

I sleep on my sides. Does not bother me when I lay down, but I definitely notice it upon waking. There is no additional pain caused by just pressing on my hip area so I tend to think it is more deep. Idid come across bursitis in my research, but I was not positive about making that jump since I am not encountering any debilitation, which is kind of what was interpreting from what I was reading about bursitis. I did find it interesting that I had no pain in my hip area after swimming today, but it has since returned.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
Exact spot of pain? Knee valgus? Is it painful to press after waking up?

Anything other than sleeping that perpetuates it?

Seira_1337

Seira_1337

TID Lady Member
Jul 15, 2014
I have awful pain due to scoliosis and sciatica. Foam roller "massage" and hip flexor stretches and mobility exercises have been the most helpful. Work on your flexibility and core stability as your spine and abdominals help keep things aligned.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
Exact spot of pain? Knee valgus? Is it painful to press after waking up?

Anything other than sleeping that perpetuates it?

Right along the side of the hip. Never thought to press on it upon waking so I will have to do that tomorrow. No knee valgus, my legs are straight.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic