Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Hip and ITB pain

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I have been battling a pain in my hip that involves the IT band. This has been going on for a good 6 months. Doesn't effect my lifting but I get out of a chair like the old man I am. Also right out of bed the ITB is tight as a girl on Prom Night. I got some relief with a chiropractor and his magnet table but it still hung around. I stretch every day and that hasn't helped much.

I'm not out of the woods yet but I think I may have found a cure. It seems when I sleep on that side, it wakes me up. The last 2 weeks I have slept with two big body pillow behind my knees and it has made a difference. It gets a little cranky during the day if I sit for long periods but I get out of bed with no pain now.

Hope this helps someone along the way if they are having the same issues.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I battled IT band flare-ups for a few years when I was running and still heavy. The only things that helped for me were the figure four stretch multiple times a day and ultrasound therapy.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I battled IT band flare-ups for a few years when I was running and still heavy. The only things that helped for me were the figure four stretch multiple times a day and ultrasound therapy.
I stretch 6 days a week, the only day I won't is right after legs because I'm not tugging on a micro tear. My stretching is a solid 25-30 min and I have been doing this for years. That stretch you mentioned does help.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I stretch 6 days a week, the only day I won't is right after legs because I'm not tugging on a micro tear. My stretching is a solid 25-30 min and I have been doing this for years. That stretch you mentioned does help.
Each of my flare ups lasted 6-9 months. Root cause for me was poor/incorrect footwear or when I wore good footwear for too long and wore them out.

Even though I don't run anymore, I can still feel it tighten up on hikes or if I am walking faster than 3.5 mph on the treadmill, so I still do the figure four stretch even when it doesn't flare up.

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
I know a lot of people don't do myofascial release (foam rolling) before stretching but it helps hydrate the muscles by massaging the knots out which in turn gives you a better stretch. The IT band directly connects to the tensor fasciae latae and the glute max. Doing some MFR on those along with the IT band might help with the hip and IT pain. Just throwing it out there. Give it a try, might help.

~R~F~G~

~R~F~G~

VIP Member
Dec 13, 2022
I just went through months of IT band pain but it was from the hip replacement surgeries. Don’t know what he did in there but he said it was normal and would slowly improve. I couldn’t do any real stretching. He wanted it to be completely healed before doing anything.

what was worse the Inguinal ligament seemed to snag on the new hip and pluck like a guitar string. That made me literally cry out in pain and crippled me few a few weeks.

I’m definitely going to add stretching to my days.

T

Therealkiller

VIP Member
Sep 18, 2019
The IT band is a thick, strong monster. Pretty much the Hulk.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
The IT band is a thick, strong monster. Pretty much the Hulk.

Most of my research seems to find the IT band issues being with the knee area. My issue seems to be more at the point of origin. I have even had my bursa injected with hopes that would help.

Thanks for the articles.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
I have battled the same issue, and finally started stretching regularly 3 months ago.. I mean religiously doing long held static stretches 4-6 days a week. Friend of mine told me about this iphone app that has some guided stretching routines and I’ll go do them in the mat room at the gym before I train, run/ do cardio. It’s called pliability. My knee and ITB pain has diminished 100 fold. And I’m even jogging 30 min 5x a week now for about 2 months without those issues or any tendonitis flair ups.. which I’ve dealt with on and off for 5 years. I was stubborn not to take stretching and range of motion / mobility work seriously until now. I wonder how many injuries I could have avoided.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I had it bad. I looked on youtube for stretches and exercises that helped. I started doing them and it got better. Then I got a percussion massager and oh man did that finish off the pain. Still have very minor discomfort but hit it with the massager and all good.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I have battled the same issue, and finally started stretching regularly 3 months ago.. I mean religiously doing long held static stretches 4-6 days a week. Friend of mine told me about this iphone app that has some guided stretching routines and I’ll go do them in the mat room at the gym before I train, run/ do cardio. It’s called pliability. My knee and ITB pain has diminished 100 fold. And I’m even jogging 30 min 5x a week now for about 2 months without those issues or any tendonitis flair ups.. which I’ve dealt with on and off for 5 years. I was stubborn not to take stretching and range of motion / mobility work seriously until now. I wonder how many injuries I could have avoided.
Don't beat yourself up, I have had my share of injuries and I stretch 6 days a week for about 25 min every morning. The only guy that doesn't get injured in the gym is the guy that doesn't go to the gym.

I like your choice of words; "Jog" I say the same thing, Let's not confuse what we do with running. lol You know, even when I jogged 3 miles 3-4x/wk, it didn't seem to effect my IT. It raised hell on my lower back though.

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
Most of my research seems to find the IT band issues being with the knee area. My issue seems to be more at the point of origin. I have even had my bursa injected with hopes that would help.

Thanks for the articles.
Sounds like you and me are having the same issues, brother.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic