Latest Member
squallreno
What's New?

Hip and ITB pain

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I have been battling a pain in my hip that involves the IT band. This has been going on for a good 6 months. Doesn't effect my lifting but I get out of a chair like the old man I am. Also right out of bed the ITB is tight as a girl on Prom Night. I got some relief with a chiropractor and his magnet table but it still hung around. I stretch every day and that hasn't helped much.

I'm not out of the woods yet but I think I may have found a cure. It seems when I sleep on that side, it wakes me up. The last 2 weeks I have slept with two big body pillow behind my knees and it has made a difference. It gets a little cranky during the day if I sit for long periods but I get out of bed with no pain now.

Hope this helps someone along the way if they are having the same issues.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I battled IT band flare-ups for a few years when I was running and still heavy. The only things that helped for me were the figure four stretch multiple times a day and ultrasound therapy.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I battled IT band flare-ups for a few years when I was running and still heavy. The only things that helped for me were the figure four stretch multiple times a day and ultrasound therapy.
I stretch 6 days a week, the only day I won't is right after legs because I'm not tugging on a micro tear. My stretching is a solid 25-30 min and I have been doing this for years. That stretch you mentioned does help.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I stretch 6 days a week, the only day I won't is right after legs because I'm not tugging on a micro tear. My stretching is a solid 25-30 min and I have been doing this for years. That stretch you mentioned does help.
Each of my flare ups lasted 6-9 months. Root cause for me was poor/incorrect footwear or when I wore good footwear for too long and wore them out.

Even though I don't run anymore, I can still feel it tighten up on hikes or if I am walking faster than 3.5 mph on the treadmill, so I still do the figure four stretch even when it doesn't flare up.

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
I know a lot of people don't do myofascial release (foam rolling) before stretching but it helps hydrate the muscles by massaging the knots out which in turn gives you a better stretch. The IT band directly connects to the tensor fasciae latae and the glute max. Doing some MFR on those along with the IT band might help with the hip and IT pain. Just throwing it out there. Give it a try, might help.

~R~F~G~

~R~F~G~

VIP Member
Dec 13, 2022
I just went through months of IT band pain but it was from the hip replacement surgeries. Don’t know what he did in there but he said it was normal and would slowly improve. I couldn’t do any real stretching. He wanted it to be completely healed before doing anything.

what was worse the Inguinal ligament seemed to snag on the new hip and pluck like a guitar string. That made me literally cry out in pain and crippled me few a few weeks.

I’m definitely going to add stretching to my days.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic