Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

HIIT Sprints

G-Seuss

G-Seuss

May 5, 2018
Sprints and bodybuilding seems somewhat counterproductive, but has anyone tried this? I did this a few years ago while I was leaner than normal, but had great results. Depending on the look you’re going for. My legs hurt like hell after squats and then trying to sprint, but my muscles felt harder than normal after a while and it shredded body fat like crazy. Obviously this wouldn’t work if you want freakish, but the athletic look I found it right on point.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
HIT conditioning is a great way to burn fat and lean up. You can do it with a sled, stadiums, sprints, etc... There are other ways of doing interval training as well.

L

luckyvenkat

Feb 21, 2019
It would be better to do it after weight training if your goal is muscle building and/or fat burning. If you are doing HIIT first and then doing weight training it will seriously affect your performance during your lifts. You can also be pretty tired from your HIIT cardio and might even mess up your lifting form.
Two to three days a week is a solid amount of HIIT, says Wong, so long as you build in 24 hours of rest and recovery between sessions. So, if your goal is to work outfour times per week, he recommends two HIIT sessions and two resistance training sessions (indianworkouts)

B

BigWill

Dec 30, 2018
Any type of cardio should be done on separate days from resistance training if your goal is to build muscle. Cardio produces the AMPK enzyme which blunts muscle protein synthesis. Resistance training causes adaptations in skeletal muscle whereas cardio does it in the mitochandria. Preserve your muscle mass at all costs.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
If anyone wants this type of plan but hates running. I wrote this up for some of my clients. You pick the "high" and "low" intensity exercises but it builds more intensity every other week for 8 weeks.

It's a change from running but the same effect.

Options For Cardio HIIT Workout. Do these 3-4 days per week, pick the hardest ones you can do for the "work" time and then pick an easy recovery exercise.
"Rest" is not rest it is a recovery with low impact easier cardio such as Jog in place or fast walking. If you are not familiar with some of these exercised youtube
the names and you will see video's of each on.

Jump Rope
Jumping / Boxing Jacks
Sprinting
High Knee Sprinting in place
POP Squats
Jump Lunge
Kettlebell Swings
Lateral Skaters
Switchfoot
Straddle Step
Steps
Mountain Climbers
Burpees/Squat Thrust

Just follow the work-to-rest intervals as indicated.

Phase 1 (1:4): Weeks 1-2
15 seconds: High-intensity exercise
60 seconds: Rest or low-intensity exercise
Repeat another 10 times, followed by a final 15-second high-intensity blast. Plus 6-16 minutes of steady state cardio.

Total time: 14 minutes (20-30 total)

Phase 2 (1:2): Weeks 3-4
30 seconds: High-intensity exercise
60 seconds: Rest or low-intensity exercise
Repeat another 10 times, followed by a final 30-second high-intensity blast. Plus 8-13 minutes of steady state cardio.

Total time: 17 minutes (25-30 total)

Phase 3 (1:1): Weeks 5-6
30 seconds: Rest or low-intensity exercise
Repeat another 16 times, followed by a final 30-second high-intensity blast. Plus 7.5-12.5 minutes of steady state cardio.

Total time: 17.5 minutes (25-30 total)

Phase 4 (2:1): Week 7-8
15 seconds: Rest or low-intensity exercise
Repeat another 25 times, followed by a final 30-second high-intensity blast. Plus 10 minutes of steady state cardio.

Total time: 20 minutes (30 total)

Maybe of use to someone out there.

I get lean (around 6%) in the summer and I am well over 50. I don't do these on lifting days unless I do a 2-a-day workout but only if it's upper body.

Not saying that I'm an expert but this has helped me and many of my clients over the years and it's simple.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Always liked this comparison
marathon_sprinter.jpg

C

charger69

Jul 4, 2017
I compete and normal cardio was killing leg development. I started HIIT and legs started growing.
20 minutes daily 2-3 months out from a show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SAD
SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I wish I could transfer my experience to y’all easily. I don’t think it’s possible. I’ll write this as concise as possible.

Between uphill sprints (running), rowing sprints, and cycling sprints, you can maintain (if not build) your physique while doing cardio.

30sec as hard as you can possibly go, followed by 90-120sec of focused recovery, repeat for 15-20min. Wrecked.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic