Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Highest Total of All Time - 3005 lb @ 275 lb Dave "Neutron" Hoff

O

OldPLer

Nov 29, 2010
lots of strength but that squat was not even close to legal but his DL was done with room to spare

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I hate to be critical because I don't know the PL rules like you guys do, but it seems like there's consensus that the squat was not sufficient to be counted. He didn't look like he went down to far, but I never have my legs spread that far apart. I'd be afraid with that wide of a stance and at that much weight that my colon would shoot out my ass and you'd have to haul me away in an ambulance....

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I give Hoff credit, you won't see me with 1210 on my back. The squat was a bad call. Dave is a very strong and gifted lifter. I am hoping he trains hard to erase these questionable lifts. The SPF has some lose judging and has for years. Powerlifting is in a sad state of affairs. We go from not even being able to agree on what is raw to judging.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
If you compete long enough you'll get a few gifts and you'll get screwed a few times. It happens and it's not worth worrying or crying over - especially if you aren't the lifter or previous holder of the record.

This video does look a little high, but it's a video and it's not from the side so I don't really care to have an opinion ( not that my opinion matters at all)... the judges liked it on that day.
Now, I've seen Dave squat 1200 deep at an APF meet. I was there and it was legit as fu ck. I have also been to meets where they are passing squats 1 or 2" high. It's all about what the judges want on that day. As long as they are fair and consistent for everyone on that day I'm happy. Some meets you know will be strict and some looser, whatever, you play by the rules being enforced on that day.

Here's the big thing. After nearly a decade of competing in this sport and training with some legends in the sport I've seen this happen a lot. People have been pouting about gear and depth for 30 years. Hoss's depth this weekend was about what Brian Carrol's was for his 1185, and about what Vogelpohl's was when he had the record..... for that matter.... go watch some old meet footage. I've watched old VHS tapes of the Hawaii record breakers meet ( and you can find remastered copies now) - the depth wasn't all that different then either. Multi-ply will always squat a little higher than the IPF. We call the single ply guys delusional Nazi babies, they cry about us ruining the sport.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
If you compete long enough you'll get a few gifts and you'll get screwed a few times. It happens and it's not worth worrying or crying over - especially if you aren't the lifter or previous holder of the record.

This video does look a little high, but it's a video and it's not from the side so I don't really care to have an opinion ( not that my opinion matters at all)... the judges liked it on that day.
Now, I've seen Dave squat 1200 deep at an APF meet. I was there and it was legit as fu ck. I have also been to meets where they are passing squats 1 or 2" high. It's all about what the judges want on that day. As long as they are fair and consistent for everyone on that day I'm happy. Some meets you know will be strict and some looser, whatever, you play by the rules being enforced on that day.

Here's the big thing. After nearly a decade of competing in this sport and training with some legends in the sport I've seen this happen a lot. People have been pouting about gear and depth for 30 years. Hoss's depth this weekend was about what Brian Carrol's was for his 1185, and about what Vogelpohl's was when he had the record..... for that matter.... go watch some old meet footage. I've watched old VHS tapes of the Hawaii record breakers meet ( and you can find remastered copies now) - the depth wasn't all that different then either. Multi-ply will always squat a little higher than the IPF. We call the single ply guys delusional Nazi babies, they cry about us ruining the sport.

I don't know why anyone cares anymore, hell if you don't like how one fed judges, you just join another or create one. LOL. I quit worrying about records and who did what. It's much easier to worry about PR's and what I do. I can't control what Hoff or the SPF does. I have my opinions on the squat. According to what Hoff has replied, he has vowed to break the single ply and raw squat records now. So I guess we will see...

M

MJR

MuscleHead
Jun 27, 2012
I give Hoff credit, you won't see me with 1210 on my back. The squat was a bad call. Dave is a very strong and gifted lifter. I am hoping he trains hard to erase these questionable lifts. The SPF has some lose judging and has for years. Powerlifting is in a sad state of affairs. We go from not even being able to agree on what is raw to judging.

He is an incredible lifter. The squat was a bad call but does he know it? I want to see him come back squat deep smash it and show everyone he is a strong ****er and hope we see more records broken by him

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Those power lifting "shirts" are ridiculous
They might as well have an engine lifter to help them.

That's funny. I'll tell you what - if it's so easy and does all the weight for you - come on out any time you'd like and try one. Even the lightweight women get 100# out of them, right?
Lets load up the bar and see what happens.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic