Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

High school wrestling

S

Stclineman

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2022
Anyone with kids who wrestle? Both my daughters wrestle and it’s been awesome watching how girls wrestling has blown up the last couple years.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Son graduated last year, so not anymore. I still follow MO high school, NCAA and freestyle wrestling. It is awesome seeing some of the young studs and studettes I have followed since they were in middle school, tearing it up at the national scene now. How are your girls doing so far this year?

S

Stclineman

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2022
Son graduated last year, so not anymore. I still follow MO high school, NCAA and freestyle wrestling. It is awesome seeing some of the young studs and studettes I have followed since they were in middle school, tearing it up at the national scene now. How are your girls doing so far this year?
Well I probably don’t have to tell you Lebanon girls killed it at the KC Stampede this past weekend, lol….. mine are doing great, thanks for asking, my sophomore has only lost once and it was in the semis to the winner at the KC Stampede. The girl that beat her is a beast, last years state champ and ranked 7th(I believe) nationally…. She gonna be tough to beat this year. My youngest is in the feeder league and whooping up on the boys, lol… won 2 tournaments and got 2nd in another…

S

Stclineman

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2022
Well I probably don’t have to tell you Lebanon girls killed it at the KC Stampede this past weekend, lol….. mine are doing great, thanks for asking, my sophomore has only lost once and it was in the semis to the winner at the KC Stampede. The girl that beat her is a beast, last years state champ and ranked 7th(I believe) nationally…. She gonna be tough to beat this year. My youngest is in the feeder league and whooping up on the boys, lol… won 2 tournaments and got 2nd in another…
Sorry oldest lost twice…. Lost home opener she should’nt have

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Awesome brother, good for them!

Yeah, Lebanon has an awesome squad again. Something in the water in the Ozarks.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Iowa is still one of the states that wrestling is big. Guys and now gals wrestling has become much bigger. It always helps that the U of I is one of the top college programs in the nation year after year. They have added women's wrestling to their sports and have gotten some big name recruits. Throw in the UFC has sponsored the Iowa wrestling programs and it's still huge here.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
You guys are parents, I am an older parent of a former (mediocre) HS wrestler. Back then, I had no concerns about how adult athletes make weight for any sport with weight classes, and didn't even begin to project that upon school-age athletes.

How does that work nowadays ... do some coaches have different approaches to dropping weight with "growing kids," and how do parents interact with their kids' coaches?

S

Stclineman

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2022
Awesome brother, good for them!

Yeah, Lebanon has an awesome squad again. Something in the water in the Ozarks.
Thanks brother, another tough tournament next week called Wonder Woman…. 89 schools from 7 different states. My daughter is still hoping to get matched up with the Lebanon girl her weight. My kids ranked 3rd and the Lebanon girl is 2nd but they’ve yet to wrestle each other.

S

Stclineman

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2022
Iowa is still one of the states that wrestling is big. Guys and now gals wrestling has become much bigger. It always helps that the U of I is one of the top college programs in the nation year after year. They have added women's wrestling to their sports and have gotten some big name recruits. Throw in the UFC has sponsored the Iowa wrestling programs and it's still huge here.
Yep Iowa mens wrestling has always been tough and now they’re snatching up all the tough girls coming out of high school. Not many D1 choices yet but I’m expecting it to explode here in the next year or two.

S

Stclineman

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2022
You guys are parents, I am an older parent of a former (mediocre) HS wrestler. Back then, I had no concerns about how adult athletes make weight for any sport with weight classes, and didn't even begin to project that upon school-age athletes.

How does that work nowadays ... do some coaches have different approaches to dropping weight with "growing kids," and how do parents interact with their kids' coaches?

They’re actually pretty strict about it during the high school season. Beginning of the year when they weight certify they check their hydration and body fat measurements. Quite a few fail the hydration part and have to try a couple days later. Once they pass they tell the kids how low they can go. My daughter stays lean and had to get a dr note to give her the ok. I believe it was under 12% body fat for girls (boys can be lower) and they measured her at 7% and 9%… plus say they certify at 120lbs but are told they can wrestle 110lbs. They can only lose a small percentage per week so they may not be able to wrestle 110 for several week while they slowly loose the weight….. off-season tournaments are totally different, kids still slap on the sauna suits and sweat out a bunch of weight then rehydrate over night

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
They’re actually pretty strict about it during the high school season. Beginning of the year when they weight certify they check their hydration and body fat measurements. Quite a few fail the hydration part and have to try a couple days later. Once they pass they tell the kids how low they can go. My daughter stays lean and had to get a dr note to give her the ok. I believe it was under 12% body fat for girls (boys can be lower) and they measured her at 7% and 9%… plus say they certify at 120lbs but are told they can wrestle 110lbs. They can only lose a small percentage per week so they may not be able to wrestle 110 for several week while they slowly loose the weight….. off-season tournaments are totally different, kids still slap on the sauna suits and sweat out a bunch of weight then rehydrate over night
Yep. My son would always cut the best he could prior to the first weight certification, so he would have more choices. He would always BF in the single digits, so they would not allow him to wrestle any lower than where he certified. He would certify for 152 then wrestle 160 or 170.

A1food4u

A1food4u

VIP Member
May 9, 2012
way to go Lineman..... you're going to miss it so much when they age out....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic