Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

High Protein With Heavy Resistance Training=lower fat

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Jose Antonio, Anya Ellerbroek, Tobin Silver, Steve Orris, Max Scheiner, Adriana Gonzalez and Corey A Peacock. A high protein diet (3.4 g/kg/d) combined with a heavy resistance training program improves body composition in healthy trained men and women – a follow-up investigation. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (2015) 12:39.

****The amount of protein used in this study is about 1.55g/lb for the HP group and 1.05g/lb for the NP group

Abstract

Background:
The consumption of a high protein diet (>4 g/kg/d) in trained men and women who did not alter their exercise program has been previously shown to have no significant effect on body composition. Thus, the purpose of this investigation was to determine if a high protein diet in conjunction with a periodized heavy resistance training program would affect indices of body composition, performance and health.

Methods: Forty-eight healthy resistance-trained men and women completed this study (mean ± SD; Normal Protein group [NP n = 17, four female and 13 male]: 24.8 ± 6.9 yr; 174.0 ± 9.5 cm height; 74.7 ± 9.6 kg body weight; 2.4 ± 1.7 yr of training; High Protein group [HP n = 31, seven female and 24 male]: 22.9 ± 3.1 yr; 172.3 ± 7.7 cm; 74.3 ± 12.4 kg; 4.9 ± 4.1 yr of training). Moreover, all subjects participated in a split-routine, periodized heavy resistance-training program. Training and daily diet logs were kept by each subject. Subjects in the NP and HP groups were instructed to consume their baseline (~2 g/kg/d) and >3 g/kg/d of dietary protein, respectively.

Results: Subjects in the NP and HP groups consumed 2.3 and 3.4 g/kg/day of dietary protein during the treatment period. The NP group consumed significantly (p < 0.05) more protein during the treatment period compared to their baseline intake. The HP group consumed more (p < 0.05) total energy and protein during the treatment period compared to their baseline intake. Furthermore, the HP group consumed significantly more (p < 0.05) total calories and protein compared to the NP group. There were significant time by group (p ≤ 0.05) changes in body weight (change: +1.3 ± 1.3 kg NP, −0.1 ± 2.5 HP), fat mass (change: −0.3 ± 2.2 kg NP, −1.7 ± 2.3 HP), and % body fat (change: −0.7 ± 2.8 NP, −2.4 ± 2.9 HP). The NP group gained significantly more body weight than the HP group; however, the HP group experienced a greater decrease in fat mass and % body fat. There was a significant time effect for FFM; however, there was a non-significant time by group effect for FFM (change: +1.5 ± 1.8 NP, +1.5 ± 2.2 HP). Furthermore, a significant time effect (p ≤ 0.05) was seen in both groups vis a vis improvements in maximal strength (i.e., 1-RM squat and bench) vertical jump and pull-ups; however, there were no significant time by group effects (p ≥ 0.05) for all exercise performance measures. Additionally, there were no changes in any of the blood parameters (i.e., basic metabolic panel).

Conclusion: Consuming a high protein diet (3.4 g/kg/d) in conjunction with a heavy resistance-training program may confer benefits with regards to body composition. Furthermore, there is no evidence that consuming a high protein diet has any deleterious effects.

From the Discussion

Our study discovered that consuming protein in amounts that are 3–4 times greater than the RDA result in a similar FFM increase for both the normal and high protein groups; however, the high protein group experienced a significantly greater loss of fat mass compared to the normal protein group in spite of the fact that they consumed on average ~400 kcals more per day over the treatment period.

So the extra protein (HP) did not really increase muscle mass any more that the NP group but it did cause a decrease in body fat, despite eating 400+ calories per day. I believe this is due to the increase in thermic effect of protein (TEF). The study also suggested the extra protein caused possible changes in resting and sleep energy expenditure. A recent study examined 25 participants who ate approximately 40 % excess energy for 56 days from 5 %, 15 %, or 25 % protein diets. If the extra calories consumed were from protein, both sleep and resting 24-h energy expenditure increased in relation to protein intake.

Bray GA, Redman LM, de Jonge L, Covington J, Rood J, Brock C, et al. Effect of protein overfeeding on energy expenditure measured in a metabolic chamber. Am J Clin Nutr. 2015;101:496–505.

Protein has a TEF of approximately 19–23 % in both obese and lean individuals whereas carbohydrate is approximately 12–14 % [19]. In fact, a high protein meal (45 % total kcal) elicits a 30 % greater TEF than an isocaloric low protein meal (15 % total kcal) in active females [20]. It should be noted that the TEF of fat is substantially less in the obese than in lean subjects [19].

19. Swaminathan R, King RF, Holmfield J, Siwek RA, Baker M, Wales JK. Thermic effect of feeding carbohydrate, fat, protein and mixed meal in lean and obese subjects. Am J Clin Nutr. 1985;42:177–81.
20. Binns A, Gray M, Di Brezzo R. Thermic effect of food, exercise, and total energy expenditure in active females. J Sci Med Sport. 2015;18:204–8.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
nice read ---im not crazy with protein dose --- I might try higher dose thou

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
nice read ---im not crazy with protein dose --- I might try higher dose thou

I was reading a article, I'll look for it.
Basicly said returns diminish radically over 1g per lb of body weight.
I fact some data seems to show negative health impact much over 1.5-1.75. Ratio

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic