High hematocrit and grapefruit

• Thread starter AeroSpaceEngineer
  • Start Date
Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Iron is part of hemoglobin, lower hemoglobin (donate, bleed etc.) and it will lower serum iron levels. If you are donating due to Elevated H&H, DO NOT USE more Iron. It will only cause more problems. Menstruation keeps iron from becoming too high in females, we have no way to really excrete excess iron and it should be avoided in supplemental form for that reason. Most good men's multivites won't put iron in the formula for this reason.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Iron is part of hemoglobin, lower hemoglobin (donate, bleed etc.) and it will lower serum iron levels. If you are donating due to Elevated H&H, DO NOT USE more Iron. It will only cause more problems. Menstruation keeps iron from becoming too high in females, we have no way to really excrete excess iron and it should be avoided in supplemental form for that reason. Most good men's multivites won't put iron in the formula for this reason.

This is very good info here. I have high iron levels and donate. Just like Mike said, stay away from multi-vitamins with iron in it. I used to take CENTRUM Performance, until I found out its freaking loaded with iron. Not good, be careful what you take.

PS, I only found out my iron levels were extremely high due to blood donation. So do good for yourself and others and get it done. Benefits everyone in the end.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic