Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

High creatineine labs, not creatine.

J

jinxey

Nov 29, 2011
That's what I was thinking. I responded to Wesleyinman in detail. My doc is very familiar with the bb community so I am surprised she is concerned with this slight elevation.
Thank you again!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
What is more important than the individual number is often the BUN / Creatinine ratio. This will clue you in better as to what is going on. Often both are elevated in weight trainers due to muscle damage and high protein in the diets. Look at the ratio and reference "normal" ratios on the web. Mine are always elevated but "normal" in ratio.

Also liver values are pretty much always elevated in lifters. That is why you need to tell you GP to test for GGT along with liver enzymes.

Not related to your kidney question, but these are good info for anyone who trains. Here are a few studies to show the good doc.

Shows levels stay elevated for 7+days after heavy lifting.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17764474

Enzyme elevations with muscle injury: know what to look for!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2661990/

J

jinxey

Nov 29, 2011
Hi Macgyver,
I to was wondering why doc was concerned considering when I looked at bun/ creatineine ratio is good.
Mine is 18.9 reference range is 10-26 ratio.
Im seeing her tomorrow and will ask about this in particular. Also have taken off last 3 days from training as she plans to draw blood and test again.
Many thanks for your experienced responce!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
High creatinine as I understand can be a few things.... 1 you can have elevated creatinine due to higher muscle turnover and the creatinine lost from that muscle. (that is common in people who train).

But a high number could also indicated decreased kidney function. (meaning your kidneys cant remove the creatinine from the blood as quick as it should). That said, if kidney damage were there it is likely other areas would be high as well, high urea, abnormal urine tests and protein levels in urine...etc)

Hydration can usually be a factor as well. I just had a physical a week ago. My creatinine came back 1.49 (scale is .67-1.17). My BUN is always elevated as are my liver enzymes. Not uncommon at all but have to find a doc that will look at the "big" picture. I have heard some Dr's asking people to take a week off training and come back and retest.

My own old doc I had for 15 years did that one time "to be safe". My liver values came back in the 150's (like 3 times the high end). Tested 9 days later and both tested normal mid range. I had been running a heavy deadlift program and training very hard at the time.

Good luck.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic