Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

High cholesterol... bad results from lipid panel

D

dan gable

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2017
I am hoping to get some feedback on my Cholesterol levels and more specifically if I should go on a statin.

I went to the doc and got my blood work done recently. The lipid panel was terrible. Here are my numbers:

Total Cholesterol - 248 Standard is below 200

HDL: 12 Standard is above 40

TRIGLYCERIDES: 93. Standard is below 150

LDL: 215. Above 190 is a red flag for
Familial Hypercholesterolemia

CHOLESTEROL/HDL RATIO: 20.7. Standard is below 5

NON HDL: 236. Standard is below 130

My primary put me on a statin a few months back but I haven't started taking it. I have a follow up with a cardiologist next week and I want to talk with him about the statin because I am under 40 and don't have any other risk factors. Besides it being just one more monthly bill, I don't know that I want to be on a static for the rest of my life.

What sucks is I eat very clean 5-6 days a week with one full on cheat day. My body fat in the summer is probably around 8 or 9 percent and I don't go above 12% in the winter.

I would love to hear what you guys think!

Thanks!

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Do you take oral steroids...more specifically around the testing?

B

Bilter

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2011
have them check your CAC score too ( coronary artery calcium score) Zero or close to zero is idea..

from the looks of your HDL number I'd guess you were running or just coming off an oral cycle (as BMJ asked)

D

dan gable

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2017
MR. BMJ,

Yes I run tbol and var. And I do run them for long periods of time. I will post more details below.

D

dan gable

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2017
have them check your CAC score too ( coronary artery calcium score) Zero or close to zero is idea..

from the looks of your HDL number I'd guess you were running or just coming off an oral cycle (as BMJ asked)
Will do. Yes, I was on an orals when I took the lipid test...var and tbol. More details below.

D

dan gable

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2017
Here is a bit more info:

Daily I eat the same thing Monday through Friday. I will swap in fish or beef once in a while but mainly it's chicken
1. Shake upon waking
2. 4 Egg omlete with tomato and mushrooms with a little low fat chedder
3. 1 and 1/2 chicken breast and some veggies or a little rice
4. Two cups of fat free Greek yogurt (15 grams protein per cup) plus a 1/4 cup of mixed nuts mixed in
5. Post workout shake
6. 1 and 1/2 chicken breast and some veggies or a little rice
7.1 and 1/2 chicken breast over spiach with light oil and vinigar dressing, or veggies, and a bowl of fruit ( usually mixed berries)

Saturday and Sunday I have the same omlete for breakfast, but might add some home fries. Saturday for my other meals it's similar to the above, during the week meels, but I might have chipotle for one of the meals instead of just grilled chicken and veggies. Sunday is pretty much I eat what I want. If I want a burger I will eat one. If I want a Stromboli, I will get one. But even on Saturday and Sunday half my meals for the day are clean.

I have a really bad shoulder and it's really been killing me lately. So I only train 4 times a week and sometimes only 3 because I need the time off because of my shoulder. My doc who did the MRI, so he knows I have multiple partial and full tears, won't write me a script for pain meds because he says I just need surgery. But I can't do it because of work. So my training is not nearly as intense or as heavy as what it used to be by a long shot and I have had to adapt and work around my shoulder.
I train a typical split without training shoulders.
Monday: legs
Tuesday: arms
Wed: off
Thursday: back
Friday: chest
Sat and Sunday off.

I walk at least a mile everyday with my dogs unless there is a blizzard or its raining really hard. On the weekends I might walk 3 miles sat and 3 Sunday if it's nice out

Cycle
600mg Test E
60mg tbol
60mg var
4iu GH
I take one shot of hcg a week..
I will be honest and say that I run orals for a long time. But my liver and kidney values have always been fine. I drink plenty of water and only have a few drinks on the weekend no booze during the week.

D

dan gable

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2017
It's the orals...
You really think so? I have to be honest I have been in the game for a long time and I do my research but I didn't realize that orals could have that severe of an impact, especially mild ones like Var and tbol.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
You really think so? I have to be honest I have been in the game for a long time and I do my research but I didn't realize that orals could have that severe of an impact, especially mild ones like Var and tbol.

Really not trying to sound like an ass but if you did var research you will find really quick that it tanks HDL and wreaks havoc on a lot of peoples lipid panels.

It should go back to normal once the cycle is over.

Var isn't liver toxic, but that doens't mean its not stressing your body in other ways. Var has been harsher on my lipids then Dbol in the past.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Yes, it's more than likely the oral AAS you are taking. It's different user to user, but in your initial post, seeing the low HDL and high LDL and non-HDL, that is textbook oral results. You are on 120mg/d of orals, for long periods, they are wreaking havoc on your lipid panel results. I would recommend d/c orals as much as you possibly can, and at most 1-2x/yr for 4-6 week durations. Most guys who try to keep healthier lipids, if they want better values, limit them to the final weeks of a cutting prep. Other guys just run them a few weeks prior to a strength/PL meet. The rest of the year, they do not use them.....well, guys who do not care about their health will keep running them, but that is an individual decision one must make.

Also, if you run higher dosed Aromatase Inhibitors (AI's), they can and will effect the same values as well.

Doses, length on drug, age, will all play a factor.

A statin can improve the values, at least with regard to LDL, but it will only help so much for a user on 120mg/d of orals and for long durations. Your diet looks fairly good, and you are active as well. It has to be the oral and any AI if you are taking one. If it were me, i'd drop the orals either now, or at the end of this run if you have a goal that you are working toward...if not, then i'd drop them now.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic