Dsjb1
What's New?

Hey Punk Fans.....Look at this Bill!

test
A

AlphaMale!

VIP Member
Dec 11, 2022
I am a 1st generation LA Punk Rocker, if the place holds over 200 people, if there is a merch booth, and if the entry fee is more than $8.... Its not punk rock.... That spirit died in late '82, when it became safe...I m friends with 20 people on this bill, they are just old and broke ...
A lot of truth in your comment. The last show I attended that I would call a legit old school punk show was Fugazi in CA back in ‘91.
No stage.
Just the band and about 60 of us in a warehouse.
Only $5 at the door when a lot other second or even third generation “punk” bands were charging a premium.
MDC was also one of the last true commercial holdouts, imo.
I don’t really mind a lot of these old timers finally get paid their due.
Most of them were broke when they were at their creative peaks.

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
I agree, this isn't punk, it's a music festival for old guys like me. This only came together because the guy who started Goldenvoice (who also created Coachella and Stagecoach) got his start doing nothing but punk shows. He knows all these bands because he was the only LA promoter who used to work with them back in the day, and there are a lot of long-standing relationships. This is a labor of love for him, but yeah, he's gonna make some nice coin as well. As for old and broken down....hard to say, a lot of them can still bring it. About a year ago I saw NOFX, Descendents, Vandals, others in San Diego and they all killed it. Watched The Adicts on YouTube live from Coachella this year and they kicked ass. Have recently seen Bad Religion, still great. Yes, there will be some who are not great (I really don't have high expectations for Black Flag), but I don't see how things can go super bad with this bill. Even though I was on the guestlist I still would have paid if I didn't have a hookup. Also...I'm sure there will be a lot of surprise guests, we'll see.

Here are the set times. A lot of times where I want to be in two places at once. How to choose? Social Distortion or The Exploited? Jesus Lizard or Sublime?

3uH61qEh5saHIs09mSgXoC2gasLXuLmRTibNvjwt.jpg

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
In short....great, fun day. WAY more people than I had expected. I'd say 50K people was conservative, I will find out. The fanzine is way cool, need to wade through it. Only criticism is that they should have extended it to two days and allowed longer sets. I didn't get to see everyone I wanted to because it was pretty spread out. Highlights included The Bronx (great live act), Iggy Pop (still bringing it at 77) and Misfits, but pretty much everyone was great and stepped it up because so many great bands on the bill. Didn't expect so many of the old guy singers to still have great voices. There were several acts I literally hadn't seen in 40 years.

What I didn't expect was how young the crowd was. I've beent to others "nostalgia" punk shows where the crowd was much older, this one had a very wide spectrum but light on the 60+ guys like me. Average age was 30's I'd say. Hopefully good live music is making a comeback.

I kind of expected it, but Black Flag was definitely a low point of the day. I wasn't impressed with the current singer, who did *ok* on some of the Henry songs, but didn't have the range or emotion for the Jealous Again songs. Greg Ginn was just phoning it in, seemed uninterested, couldn't play for shit.....and they closed with Louie Louie, a long version, and it was just stupid.

I didn't take many photos, but did snap this one for a friend showing Iggy, no zoom on that, and it was taken from What's App at a lower resolution so sorry about that. Iggy was spot on with his vocals and stage presence, despite being 77-years-old. The Iggy pit was pretty bad, the Misfits pit was crazy.

One last thing....I'm tired of being kicked in the head by crowd surfers. Just know that if your foot gets near my head, I'm taking off your shoe and throwing it into the crowd so you can't come up front again and get another opportunity to kick me. :) Because I can be an asshole when I'm drunk.

1717965341382.jpeg

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Did you catch the CroMags? and was it Harley, Paris and John (or some spin-off)? So jelly I couldn't catch this show...maybe it'll come to the east coast?!

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
Cro-Mags were the very first band of the day. I watched like one song as I wanted to see The Adolescents (Cuckoo's Nest memories!). People got there early, and here's a vid Cro-Mags posted that will show you how it was before most people even got to the venue. Should answer your questions about the lineup: https://www.instagram.com/realcromags/reel/C7-hRsipnUD/ That's the GA area to the right, VIP to the left. VIP significantly less crowded than GA, GA had a better view.

I'm pretty sure the show was a one-off like Power Trip. No way could you sustain a lineup like that year after year, but the attendance and amount of money they made is going to be noticed by other promoters who may try to copy across the country. It was impressive. I will find out whether there will be more. I did notice that the Fanzine said NoValues #1.....so......

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Holy shiznit. It's real. Going for sure.

NIUM4ZD8KfCDlCiBFv6gEC8q1xP94hVv2ogLCyBE.jpg
Blast from the past! I’ve seen a handful of these guys.. iggy pop was probably the coolest live show though. Big outdoor venue on Randall’s island years ago.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Black Flag isn't really Black Flag. Only original member is Greg Ginn. Singer, I think, is some guy Mike Vallely (per Wikipedia). In the past they tried a couple of reunions, and it didn't quite work out.

Misfits singer will be Glenn. That's why they are headlining.

Jello will never get back together with the current touring DKs. Never.

Also, Sublime's singer will be Bradley's son. No more Rome.
Jello biafra is a legend among legends.
Haven’t seen sublime but saw them as Long Beach dub all stars in the early 2000s. Still hold the record for most joints I’ve seen smoked on stage

the Bronx is a pretty cool group, didn’t get into them until more recently

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic